Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Call Your Grandma posted:

why is arizona playing 3 games tomorrow?

They're in Australia so it's a lot of exhibition stuff and I'm sure the times they could play were somewhat limited. It's preseason so they probably have enough players for multiple rosters anyway.

Edit: actually, it wouldn't make sense for them to be playing at 4am in Australia either. My guess is that part of their preseason roster is still in the US and doing their own thing. Not going to do any research to confirm though.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Koopa Kid posted:

Silly anecdote about Bertuzzi getting taller (it’s definitely that he’s actually 6’ 1.25” and the Leafs staff rounded up) but skeletal growth isn’t considered done until 25 and in some people can go longer. Between the ages of 26-27 I gained a full inch in height and got broader in the shoulders/chest to the point where I had to buy all new suits/business wear for my day job, which actually really loving sucked.

Wow congrats on hitting 5'7"

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
My default thought was Nathan Walker. You're telling me two Aussies have made the NHL?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm interested to see how it's all been received in Australia. I haven't really been following it too much. I do know that Australia has a small, but very dedicated, hockey fanbase, so I'm glad they get to see some NHL games even if it involves the Coyotes.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I've been watching this game and its relatively good rosters for a preseason game. Not quite a regular season roster by either team, but pretty close. It looks like NHL hockey. Fans seem into it too, and the barn is full. I'm just happy to be watching hockey again.

I know Australia has some big hockey fans, for some reason, so I'm happy for them. Seems like every NHL team has a jersey in the crowd.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I legit think Cooley could surprise and win the Calder. He's insanely good. Bedard is Bedard, but Arizona has a better team and Cooley is gonna get a ton of opportunity there.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
He came back about halfway through the season and clearly wasn't the same player. He's not bad, but he's definitely taken a big step back.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah Brandon Bussi, Boston Bruins (say that 10x fast) has the funniest name in the NHL and I laugh every time I see it. I've never seen anyone acknowledge it, and why would they, but I'd kill for that sound bite. He's actually quite good too, so it'll be funny if/when he makes it to the NHL full time.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the new website sucks and their app straight up doesnt work even after i updated it, very NHL

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
He was a great player at Harvard but I dunno if he's really Gaudreau level, although Gaudreau was a historically good NCAA player so maybe that's not a fair comparison. I think Coronato is probably a quality 2nd line winger at the NHL level but who knows.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

It still nuts to me that the Sabres are putting so much on Levi here. He's a great prospect but drat they are going to ruin his self confidence if he's not instantly successful. Even if they really want to go with him, why not bring in a more capable backup than Eric Comrie? Were there really no vets willing to take a 2 x $2.5m deal to split time for the Sabres?

Yeah agreed. It's super rare for a goalie his age to come in without spending much time in the AHL and be immediately effective, especially from the NCAA. The only recent example I can think of is Jeremy Swayman and he had the benefit of both playing for a very good defensive team in Boston and being behind Rask and Ullmark as he got eased in, and to be honest he's still not the starter yet. If I were Buffalo I'd be wary of rushing Levi, no matter how good a prospect he is. At the very least they should be trying to platoon him with a more veteran goalie.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Makes sense to me. It's hard to score 1000 points, less than 100 guys have scored that many and lots didn't stick in one place long enough to do it all with one franchise. I wonder who has the most. I think it might actually be Boston (Bourque, Bucyk, Esposito, and Bergeron joined last season. Marchand is getting close too) but I'm not gonna go look it up. I'd imagine most of the O6 teams have 3-4, well except the Rangers and Leafs.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Caps are so bad and tickets are still the same price as 2018

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Chad Sexington posted:

I don't think they're getting many takers, at least based on how I -- someone who hasn't gone to a game since 2019 -- has been hounded non-stop by their sales people the last month or two.

Secondary market prices seem OK but lol at $50 400-level seats on a Monday against the Flames.

Yeah I get a ton of emails too. I haven't been back post-covid but I used to grab weeknight tickets occasionally when I had the itch. The biggest thing is all the 400 level seats are up. Used to be, even in early 2020, that you could get decent nosebleed seats for like $25. It was easy to do that on a whim but $50 + food + a beer or two (even if you have those somewhere outside the stadium) ends up being like $100, which is a lot to spend on a whim.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
My opinions are always great and I've never been wrong about any player trajectories

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mind_Taker posted:

I don't really hate certain teams like I used to. Except Carolina.

They really have started to get a little obnoxious, and I still like them even.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I dunno I think it'd be pretty funny if the Sabres decided to rush their prospects based on looking good against ECHL players, kids from junior, and veterans winding down their careers.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

WeaponX posted:

Come on the Bruins roster couldn’t have been that bad….*checks*….:dogbutton: My god

It was their 4th and 5th string goalies and the best NHL forward playing was arguably Milan Lucic.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I need the Habs to be good so that Boston-Montreal is interesting again

I also need them to stop having players I like. I just can't hate Suzuki or Caufield.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Furnaceface posted:

Counterpoint: Boston just needs to decline real hard to meet Montreal on even terms.

Too much talent for that sorry.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Furnaceface posted:

Then you are going to have to suffer with a Leafs rivalry and nothing else. :colbert:

That's true. I hate those guys. The Leafs have definitely supplanted Montreal in recent years, even if it's been pretty lopsided in Boston's favor.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I've seen quite a few hockey writers question if Zegras is actually good because he didn't get much better last year, which seems kind of insane to me since it was just his 2nd full season, at age 21, while playing on one of the worst teams in recent memory.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
my takeaway from Bruins preseason is that the center depth has been solved by a prospect magically looking amazing during preseason, which will surely transfer to the regular season as well

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Man the Bruins are going to be boring to watch this year. The defense and goaltending is great but there's not a ton happening on offense 15 shots tonight but they somehow won lol. Although I guess part of that is the Rangers are also legit good.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
lol that's fuckin great. Nothing tops Hasek on that Gaborik breakaway though IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5u0khFnHUg

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/sabrespr/status/1710293891058926042?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q
Seems likely this will be the opening day roster, too, which is a choice. Also weird that they only iced Johnson for one preseason game and Clifton for two considering they will need time to get used to playing with their new teammates in a new system. Clifton looked bad the other night against Columbus. I’m not convinced he’s ready for top-pairing minutes.

That's because Connor Clifton isn't very good and he got overrated this summer for some reason. He got a big boost by playing on Boston's defense and occasionally getting reps with McAvoy or Lindholm, but he was basically a passenger player. He's fine if he's on your third pairing, and he plays a fun and exciting style of hockey, but he makes a lot of bad plays and sucks at defending players on the rush.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Also regarding NHL24 chat: I haven't bought a game since 21, I usually space em out a few years. It's fun but basically the same game with a different soundtrack and more accurate rosters.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Clifton isn’t rusty. He’s awful. Just wow. Three goals against all on him. Every time the play goes near him they lose possession. He even checks guys into his own net and causes goals against his goalie had saved. It’s comical

Yeah, like I was saying, he's not that good and he went from playing on the best defensive team in the league to the worst. If Buffalo is realistic and uses him on the bottom pairing or maaaaaybe the second, he shouldn't be a total anchor. But boy is he bad. He looks fun while he's doing it though. That guy loves to hit.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Who could have foreseen this

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm shocked the Jets were able to resign Scheifele and Hellebuyck. Seems like it would've been in their interest to trade em and do an actual rebuild rather than be mediocre another 5+ years.

Also real hockey tonight yay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Bruins trading a 21-year-old Seguin for Eriksson and some lotto tickets is the biggest trade I can remember being genuinely baffled by. Even with Loui having some good years and Reilly Smith panning out, it was so stupid that they traded their potential franchise level center (debatable if he hit those heights, but he was a great player for a long time and he's still decent now) because he was 21 and liked to party remains one of the dumbest things Chiarelli ever did. It's extra funny because, while he's had injury problems, there's no guarantee things would've turned out the same way, they'd have the same roster, he'd even still be a Bruin, etc., Boston could really use Seguin on the roster now and for big stretches of the past decade or so.