Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I’m in Australia, it hasn’t had much press, but I guess I don’t consume much news so maybe in other places it has.

I looked a while back and tickets were $200, which combined with having to fly to Melbourne + accomodation is a bit rich more me. If it has a regular season game, but having no idea how many actual legit NHL players would be on the ice, and how much effort is going to be put in..

There was this showcase ‘Canada V USA’ World Series game they put on years ago that I got burnt by, was a few NHL players, but mostly AHL/ECHL and was a terrible product, was like a all star game defensively but with none of the offence. If this ends up being good, maybe I’d fork out for it next time (if there is one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I've been watching this game and its relatively good rosters for a preseason game. Not quite a regular season roster by either team, but pretty close. It looks like NHL hockey. Fans seem into it too, and the barn is full. I'm just happy to be watching hockey again.

I know Australia has some big hockey fans, for some reason, so I'm happy for them. Seems like every NHL team has a jersey in the crowd.

Maybe I should have gone then. :(

Hopefully it makes enough money to come back

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Watching preseason hockey at 3:45 in the morning from a 24 hour union picket of a chicken processing plant in Australia. Not often you can say with reasonable certainty that your doing something unique.

Go Sens I guess.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

split squads so it's not the same players doing a doubleheader

I know why they do it, but having the home split having pretty much your NHL team and the away split having an AHL roster + seven guys who mathematically count as veterans. Sure it means home fans see the stars (and probably a win) but it’s pretty hard to evaluate anyone’s performance given the difference in the teams for most games.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

ehhh I bet they're mostly looking at basic stuff and whether a player is in line for a cllup when necessary etc

oh ofcourse, its fine for them, but for me the idiot fan, it makes it harder for me to declare someone a bust and/or the next big thing.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I know it's pretty much the B team, but that was a Canucks level PK experience.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

are they icing anyone likely to make the team tonight?
That roster doesn't look like anything

Nobody from the top 6 and none of the defence, however a bunch of the 'if they are going to not suck these guys are going to have to be pretty good' ie Hoglander, Podz, Suter. I guess if anyone from the farm team wasn't sure how far they are from the NHL, they are now.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

A friend of mine just got into hockey last year (Devils, nasty, unacceptable).

I need help because I'm going insane.

If you asked what the score was and someone said (exactly like this)

"Y'all empty netted"

What would you think happened?

I’d assume my team was up by 1 in the last minute and then scored an empty net goal.

Or possibly every player on the team scored a empty net goal. Probs the first, but can’t rule out the second.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

There seems to be this view in the Canucks media/podcast market that is drawing this strict causation line between last season the team sucking in preseason and then the regular season.

The possible cause of them sucking in the regular season last year being the same cause of them sucking in preseason last year does not seem to have been strongly considered (it’s because they aren’t a very good team..)

As an aside, I feel sorry for Spencer Martin, having spent a couple of years in the dumpster fire of Vancouver, gets waived and on the same day hears there is a spot opening up in Tampa… only to find out this seasons leading contender for dumpster fire had claimed you.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

The Canucks shouldn’t be allowed to charge for attendance to games without atleast one of Petey or Quinn…

This is dull.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

grack posted:

Canucks also waived Wolanin. Trade for a D coming perhaps?

I kind of hope so. But I also don’t. Serious vibes of playing NHL franchise mode on the PlayStation and deciding this is the last season so gently caress the draft picks.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

The Canucks are the worst run Canadian team, which is terrifying when looking at their competition.

To give (new) management some credit, they now have to not only contend with a meddling owner, but the (somewhat reasonable) demands of a star player to build a team that doesn’t suck before he’s 40.

Atleast it’s targeting bottom 6 guys who actually play the PK, not full on sea of granlund collection mode.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

The best thing you can say about their summer was there weren't any immediate disasters. That's maybe an improvement, but is that seriously as high as our expectations go?

Honestly, yes.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

No, because that's not standardized in any way.

We know when there's planned to be extra stuff first and so a delay but that's about it.

Well there’s no delays due to anything that might be construed to be a rainbow now, so there’s 15 seconds of your life you can thank the NHL for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Maybe it already was a finalist for all time bad, but with Garland now asking for a trade, but where does Benning’s OEL/Garland trade sit in the all time bad trades?