Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Caps just going for Ovie record.

“There probably isn’t a worse spot to land in than the one the Blues find themselves in to start the season.

The Blues are at the bottom of a group of teams that don’t look good enough for a serious shot at the postseason and aren’t exactly bad enough for a serious shot at the No. 1 pick either. The Blues are six points clear of the next worst team, but also seven points away from the teams with actually tangible playoff chances. No man’s land.”

“The end result, and the single biggest reason to think the Blues could be in for a world of pain this season, is a defense that, according to projected Net Ranking, is No. 30 in the league.”

“This, in short, was not an orderly or effective blue line, and the personnel is mainly the same … except a year older. Of the projected top six, only Rosen is younger than 30, and he’s 29”

It’s incredible how terrible this defense is, how old they are and how long their term (and no trade contracts) is.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

clean ayers act posted:

i have to be honesty, i didnt really pay much attention to the blues over the past few years, other than seeing stuff like tarasenko wanting out and pietrangelo moving on. how did they go from cup winners to their current state so quickly?

Armstrong gave our long term no trade contracts to all the wrong players, there was whatever drama between him and Petro so Petro walked, and they signed Krug and Faulk over Petro (assuming Paryko would take another step forward, which he didn’t) and it hosed up their whole defense and Petro won a cup with Vegas.

Petro was their best player and he was the one person Armstrong played hardball with.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Wasn't the impasse with Pietrangelo that he wanted a full NMC and Armstrong wouldn't budge from a limited NTC only, which is what he then gave Faulk?

Faulk is amazing. I always wondered what it would look like if a skilled but floaty winger was deployed as a #1 defenseman.

I’m pretty sure this is correct.

Armstrong “never gives out full NMC” clauses. Which, I kind of get , but all you had to say was “oh hey, the dude who captained our team to a Stanley cup gets the one exception. Anyone else who wants a NMC, you have to be captain while we win another cup first.”

There’s some other unsaid stuff though. Literally all interviews both Armstrong and Petro still refuse to comment on what went down beyond general statements (but they always seem very negative towards what happened) and whomever else knows hasn’t spilled the beans either.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

Is an NMC really the reason Pietrangelo left? Did the Blues let their all-star right shot defencemen who captained them to a cup leave because he asked to not be put on waivers or exposed in an expansion draft (which is the only additional thing an NMC covers compared to an NTC)? Boy was that stupid.

I think they were also playing hardball on the money, but yeah, it was extremely extremely stupid.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

5th grade me is extremely happy to see the continual suffering of the Detroit Red Wings.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mennoknight posted:

for real I have my first keeper league draft tonight and I am desperate for dmen. who is running the sharks powerplay

Erik Karlson via a PS5 remote controller.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Preds are doomed for mediocrity of forwards for all time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jhet posted:

Also, I do not care for Brian Dumoulin in a Kraken sweater.

Speaking of !

Also, I have to post the blurb on the best 4th line in hockey

“As Cizikas (32), Clutterbuck (35) and Martin (34) age, that’s become less and less true. Last year they fell off a cliff, controlling only 40 percent of the expected goals as a result of their expected goals-against rate ballooning from 1.72 to 2.88. Combine that with their offense dropping off even further and it was much harder to see the trio’s utility.

That’s only expected to get worse this season as the players get further into their 30s. The line has a combined Net Rating of minus-30, 10 goals worse than an average team’s three worst players.

It’s not a ground-breaking amount, but it is worth about four standings points. That may not sound like much, but it’s the exact difference between being projected to finish 10th in the East versus eighth. It’s the difference between the Islanders having a 43 percent chance at the postseason and a 58 percent chance. And it’s a whole lot for a fourth line — especially for a team on the playoff bubble that’s paying said players $5.75 million this season.

And that’s just for an average fourth line. This was once the league’s very best, and if it still was, the Islanders would have a much firmer grasp of a playoff spot. Instead, it’s now arguably the worst and it leaves the Islanders on the outside of the race.”

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

By gawd, that’s Think Tank’s music !

“There it is Canucks fans, the moment you’ve been waiting a long time for: a 50 percent chance at making the playoffs. Bask in it.”

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

“For most teams, it’s not difficult to find strengths and weaknesses up and down a team’s roster. For the Winnipeg Jets, it’s a lot trickier: it’s basically Connor Hellebuyck and then a whole bunch of “middles.”

Top of the lineup? Meh. Middle of the lineup? Meh. Bottom of the lineup? Meh. Forwards? Meh. Defensemen? Meh. Offense? Meh. Defense? Meh.”

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lightning went from 70% chance to make the playoffs to 50% chance.

But Brendan Hagel is looking good !

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

*throws grenade in SAS* JEFF CARTER

I just want to see MAF get his fight.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gently caress….the….Bruins….

The season projection has Ekblad and Mountour’s 2 month injuries factored in.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I saw a lot of people saying these stats are confusing and/or wrong or show weird or whatever.

That is all correct. I would not take these at face value or anything other than fun.

That said. Some hot takes today.

““Aside from that, Colorado’s only other problem is the team’s inexplicable love affair with Jack Johnson who unsurprisingly enters the season with the lowest projected Net Rating in the league. “

“At a minus-12 Net Rating, Reaves is tied for the biggest lineup detriment in the league.”

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

The only thing worse than the charts is the image host you're using.

I’ll bite, what’s wrong with the website ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

“New York looks like a true contender.”

“Only one team has a higher chance of winning the Stanley Cup this season”

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

I do get his dad was murdered there

This is a hell of a disclaimer lol.

This is a lot of chat about a prospect that the Flyers will inevitably ruin.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pungry posted:

Sean Couturier, who was taken 8th overall in 2011. So only 12 years ago.

He hasn’t played in 2 years, so I would say they still ruined him.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

The fact there is no media uproar on what should be a super juicy (read: controversial) story for the media tells you what you need to know. Which is: The league office has made it clear that if you wish to retain your credentials, you will not ask questions about this.

You’re def not wrong, but there are non NHL journalists like the guy who broke the Kyle Beach story that wouldn’t care or be at risk of this?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

“Everyone’s most beloved analytics darling has finally reached the summit, the ultimate goal for a numbers-driven team. The Carolina Hurricanes are the preseason Presidents’ Trophy favorites. Bask in the glory, calculator crowd, you’ve done it.”

“More important though is the number to the far right: 15 percent. That’s Edmonton’s chances of winning it all, the highest of any team by a considerable margin; five percentage points. The Oilers are not just a contender, they’re the Stanley Cup favorite, period.”

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I'm actually ok with more teams provided Bettman never dies thus holding his no more playoff teams mantra cause the play in would suck rear end

I think a 1 game play in round system would be fine, although it would probably end up being best of 3.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

I would imagine a playoff expansion would similar if not identical to the version we saw in the bubble.

Agreed, and honestly I really liked the play in round bubble year.

Granted, it was after months of no hockey. Obviously wouldn’t want it to be that many teams for the play in either.

That bubble play in was a fun week though, 1 week of hockey from morning to night, and the quality varied wildly by how teams prepared.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

gently caress this!

No!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

All I want is them to get rid of stupid as hell divisional format.

Return to straight up 1-8 with reseeding every round.

1-16 would be even better. Screw the conference matchup in the final. Let's get weird.

Completely agree with this.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Surprised it took this long, really

“So when you have the star player pinned against the board, you inconspicuously raise your skate and slash the player’s leg while pretending you are just really bad at skating and it is an accident.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Koopa Kid posted:

Speaking of random guys the Canucks have burned picks on I see Travis Dermott is on a 2-way deal with the Coyotes, well on his way to being out of the league before he turns 28.

Sure wish Dubas had just drafted Konecny back in 2015 instead of trading down to pick up multiple non-factors

But then TK would have had to wait 3 more years to play in the 2nd round of the playoffs.