Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Matt Zerella posted:

This is terrible. I pay for DirecTV Stream which isn't cheap but at least I also get HBO (including Max) and all 5 MSG channels on it so I don't miss a game. It's getting cheaper to just have cable if you watch sports.

The entire point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Franzen was so lazy, if he'd done the hatchet job on Crosby's knee in game 4 or 5 instead of waiting around until game 7 in 2009 the Wings would have won the Cup.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That Cooley goal was fuckin' sweet looking but just lol if you think that'll work against NHL players who are actually trying

Jamwad Hilder posted:

He came back about halfway through the season and clearly wasn't the same player. He's not bad, but he's definitely taken a big step back.

He looked absolutely terrible the few times I saw him

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Like 3 a year, and the 300 times someone tries that poo poo and just immediately loses the puck don't go viral on twitter

Don't get me wrong, like everyone else I don't give a poo poo about the Coyotes so I hope he tries to do a Lemieux impression every time he gets the puck on his stick. Would drive me batty if he was playing for a team I cared about though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I loved the cool goal, just like I said I did. I am a superhero and am capable of loving the cool goal and hoping he doesn't think it's going to be that easy in the real games at the same time

e: he is both Cooley and good, he'll figure it out, if playing for the Coyotes doesn't drain all the will to live from him first

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

i have to be honesty, i didnt really pay much attention to the blues over the past few years, other than seeing stuff like tarasenko wanting out and pietrangelo moving on. how did they go from cup winners to their current state so quickly?

Signing Justin Faulk, mostly.

ThinkTank posted:

The series that tore SAS apart was what introduced me to this place, so really it's damaging effects have continued unabated for 17 consecutive years.

It's so weird, aside from various modes of insult that thankfully are no longer tolerated, the Series That Tore SAS Apart was about as spicy as the Penguins-Rangers series two years ago that's pretty much forgotten now. Right time right place I guess.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 23, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Wasn't the impasse with Pietrangelo that he wanted a full NMC and Armstrong wouldn't budge from a limited NTC only, which is what he then gave Faulk?

Faulk is amazing. I always wondered what it would look like if a skilled but floaty winger was deployed as a #1 defenseman.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

5th grade me is extremely happy to see the continual suffering of the Detroit Red Wings.

They deserve it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Give Quick a break, he's like 85 years old. He'll have himself in shape and up to speed by February.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

to be clear here, you're saying it rhymes with fussy, not pussy

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

McDavid is going to be a Chicago Blackhawk within 3 years

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Can androids get drunk

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Why would you ever air fry a steak when you can slap it on an iron skillet for like 4 minutes

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ye gods, Kevin Constantine is still alive??

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm already giddy for the Bill Peters Redemption Tour, coming soon to a sad sack NHL franchise near you. Get your tickets while they last, it's gonna be over before you know it!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Starsfan posted:

Joel Edmundson being out of the lineup isn't going to prevent you from making the playoffs... it's almost a blessing..

Not having anyone better than Joel Edmundson for that spot in the lineup in the first place might, though

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ty Smith sucks. He is an okayish, unremarkable player at the AHL level and totally overmatched in the NHL. If there's any competition at all it's only because Sullivan hates POJ so much.

Sexy Hexy got taken to the cleaners by the Devils

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The ticket prices for every game the Caps play the second half of 24-25 are going to be bonkers

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/hockeyfeedhf/status/1706675746930860529?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Sometimes acquiring all the pieces of poo poo in the league doesn’t pay off

Trust Rod

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

1. Lemieuxs are mammals.
2. Lemieuxs fight ALL THE TIME.
3. The purpose of the Lemieux is to flip out and punch people.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

WeaponX posted:

He is very good at driving other players insane and drawing penalties. He is also very good at taking bad penalties. He isn’t a total liability offensively but is a total liability with how much he gets himself suspended. Soooo it’s mostly because his last name is Lemieux.

So what you're saying is he could switch jerseys with Bunting and if it weren't for high-def closeups no one would be able to tell the difference.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

fartknocker posted:

gently caress Claude Lemieux

That's how we ended up with Brendan Lemieux in the first place!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jake Guentzel is listed at 5'11" and 180 which even that is a joke. He didn't weigh a pound over 165 soaking wet when he hit the NHL. He has been the physically weakest player in the NHL from the day he debuted in it to the present. Now injuries are already slowing him down and I think he's nearer the end of his career already than commonly believed, but being frail doesn't necessarily mean a guy will get killed to death immediately.

Combining frailty with being totally unprepared for how fast and strong NHL players are though, yeah that could be an issue.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 27, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

Connor is never winning a cup, book it.

Add the qualification "in Edmonton" and I will co-sign

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

How old is Sutter now... 31. So he's about 4-5 years from being an NHL head coach.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That was Sutter.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Brandon Sutter will be 35 in February and hasn't played in two years thanks to long covid. It's amazing that the Oilers are seriously considering giving him a roster spot.

Oh hell, I just glanced at his page and saw 31 and forgot he hasn't played since 2020. He'll be coaching an NHL team within 2 years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The goalie just said gently caress it and left?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's cool that he's willing to get in there and battle, but, uh, when you're built like that maybe put in some study at the Kessel Dojo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Or maybe McDavid, wishing to win the Stanley Cup before he dies, will sign in... Chicago.

ThinkTank posted:

While in principle I agree that it's good for large market teams to have exciting young talent and be successful, Chicago are one of the few teams in pro sports that it is truly morally wrong to support.

This post is true and correct and ought not be sniped.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

...why?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

eXXon posted:

So Dubas doesn't want opposing skaters shooting at his goalies' pads? That explains a lot.

lol, beat me to it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Brandon Sutter retired.

Good to know Tocchet's replacement is already lined up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Cancer has 4 stages, renal failure has 5. At 5 the organ is basically dead and not working any more.

Yeah I've had two friends die of kidney failure in the past few years. The first (early 70s) lasted about 8 months on dialysis, the other (50) only about 3 months. It's a ticking clock unfortunately. Dialysis can only do so much and it puts a lot of strain on the rest of your organs.

By the way, the lesson learned from both of them--if you have high blood pressure or symptoms suggestive of high blood pressure, DEAL WITH THAT RIGHT NOW. High blood pressure usually doesn't kill you by your heart exploding. It usually kills you by ruining your kidneys.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The rest of the Pens not so much. The top 6 has been really really bad.

It's preseason and they're old and fragile. They're not even slightly trying.

I'm the resident Pens Realist Doomer here, I think they'll finish 10th or 11th and I'll be surprised if Crosby ever plays another playoff game. But the top 6 not giving a poo poo in preseason is totally meaningless.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They had--shockingly, for the Penguins--incredibly good injury luck last year. And still missed the playoffs. Their injury luck will not likely be that good again.

But sure, with some breaks (foremost among them, Carter getting hurt or Dubas/Sullivan realizing in a flash of clarity that he's finished and releasing him) they could absolutely finish 6th-to-8th. I'm not betting on it but it's entirely possible. I'll probably regret saying this but I feel a lot better about Nedeljkovic being Plan B than DeSmith.

e2: It's a gigantic switch in the backup goalie realm though. DeSmith sucks, but supposedly the Pens kept him around so long because he Knew The System. Nedeljkovic tries to play like Hasek and has gone straight into the doghouse, without passing Go, of every coach he's had so far, and Sullivan is not shy about sending guys to the doghouse. So I have no idea how it'll end up.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 3, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's a gigantic switch in the backup goalie realm though. DeSmith sucks, but supposedly the Pens kept him around so long because he Knew The System. Nedeljkovic tries to play like Hasek and has gone straight into the doghouse, without passing Go, of every coach he's had so far, and Sullivan is not shy about sending guys to the doghouse. So I have no idea how it'll end up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I can maybe hear you on Malkin (though, counterpoint: who the hell else was supposed to play all those minutes at 2C?) but Crosby was still a very very good player even if he doesn't play defense anymore. (OK, he plays a little defense, whereas Malkin is among the very worst defensive players in the NHL these days)

They were just a fringe playoff team on talent. Just barely making or just barely missing was always where they were going to land. This year they added Karlsson which is huge, but it's also the only significant change and mostly offset by the fact everyone on the oldest team in the league got another year older, and they still don't have a goalie because gods know Jarry isn't going to go uninjured for 7 months and Alex Nedeljkovic isn't really a plan. So once again they are a fringe playoff team that will just barely make or just barely miss.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 3, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That is very true. Losing Dumoulin's desiccated corpse would definitely be addition by subtraction even if Ty Smith were replacing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm sure a young fast fun team coached by Lindy Ruff will never end in tears