Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Matt Zerella posted:

Kind of hockey related.

https://twitter.com/CordCuttersNews/status/1705209476276523226?s=20

This is terrible. I pay for DirecTV Stream which isn't cheap but at least I also get HBO (including Max) and all 5 MSG channels on it so I don't miss a game. It's getting cheaper to just have cable if you watch sports.

The only cable I can get is Spectrum and they block half my channels unless I am connected to Spectrum internet (which I don’t have because it’s garbage, Fios ftw) so I am gonna get Hulu + Live TV and get MSG+ for about the same price that I’m paying now (since the Hulu includes Disney+ and ESPN+)

Edit: The first Sabres preseason game is tomorrow during a Bills game that’s also in Washington, DC lmao

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

The only internet I can get is Spectrum, but I opted for Direct TV stream as it comes with MSG for Sabres games. I'm paying like $100 a month less than what I was paying for spectrum internet + cable.

Oh poo poo, good call that is cheaper. Thanks for this!

Also both the Sabres and Bills won yesterday, in Washington DC. Good time.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Looks like a playoff team to me!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThinkTank posted:

It still nuts to me that the Sabres are putting so much on Levi here. He's a great prospect but drat they are going to ruin his self confidence if he's not instantly successful. Even if they really want to go with him, why not bring in a more capable backup than Eric Comrie? Were there really no vets willing to take a 2 x $2.5m deal to split time for the Sabres?

It is insane. Completely. Mostly everyone I know agreed with you. Even though he played well in that short stint and was better than every other goalie on the team, 7 games in two weeks is nothing compared to 82 in seven months. I agree with you that his confidence could be destroyed if they go on a bad run or if the defense leaves him out to dry.

But Kevyn doubled-down on him so we have to hope and pray either he does something no goalie has done before or UPL improves immensely and can start the majority of games. There’s no hope for Comrie, sadly.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres’ first round pick from this past draft, Zach Benson, has been awesome through two preseason games. Last night he played on the top line with Skinner & TAGE and the top PP unit. He might already be able to jump to the NHL. Pretty cool!

Also Levi was extremely good for the two periods he played. It’s just the preseason but it’s still a good sign.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

fawning deference posted:

Benson rules but yes there is no need to rush him into an already loaded lineup. Preseason really means almost nothing, especially in the early games where there are minimal regulars in lineups and there's low physicality.

The issue with Benson is that he’s too good to go back to the WHL, can’t play in the AHL and is a small fry who will get murdered in the NHL. He’s in the same position Shane Wright was last season iirc where they’ll have to just hold him in Limbo most of the season. But like, he’s really good.

Also he played well with Tage and Skinny but lol at removing the only defensively-responsible forward off that line and replacing him with a tiny rookie. He’s got a bright future and the org needs to make sure that they’re set for this year and beyond. Tbh it’s a good thing that nobody knows what the opening night roster will look like on offense since the team is so stacked.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

rex rabidorum vires posted:

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1707111977355530339?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Pens sending a big boi roster tonight. Excited to definitely not overreact to any and all outcomes :) the org also sent Yager bomb back to the W after a fairly impressive camp.

https://twitter.com/llysowski/status/1707388557562687529?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

The Sabres are certainly putting players on the ice tonight. Comrie in goal. So uhhh yeah.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1707554499680739469?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Tage gonna Tage, even in the preseason

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

rex rabidorum vires posted:

In other developmental news Zach Benson didn't look anything close to NHL ready. In the few flashes he showed it was mostly passes into the defenseman on a iffy 2v1 or gets into board battle and loses. Over and over. He tried to make a few tricky plays coming off the boards and moving centrally which led to turnovers. Otherwise the Pens looked very disjointed and the Crosby line got completely demolished chance wise, but created tons of chances and breakaways that they failed to finish so I'm excited to see them play good fancy stats hockey and lose because they have zero finish.

I was going to come in here to say the same thing. He couldn’t handle the physical play of the actual NHLers that Pittsburgh iced last night.

Ryan Johnson, on the other hand, looked awesome. The defense generally looked good last night and it was pretty much all AHLers. It’s good to know that the Sabres have some good young defensemen in the pipeline. Comrie also looked good! Fingers crossed that he’ll be more consistent this year.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Levi has given up three lovely goals to the Blue Jackets, lol, lmao

Edit: to be fair, the defense they’re icing is pretty much all AHL-level guys but like, drat

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 30, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres went down 3-0 only to score 4 unanswered goals to win, so it looks like they’re already in mid-season form.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/thechargingbuf/status/1709728762244337867?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

I wish they could send Benson to Rochester because another season in the WHL isn’t going to do anything for him. He has tons of skill but he needs to play against full-sized adults and put on some bulk!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres defense has played like poo poo in both preseason games against the Jackets so take it with a grain of salt. They were icing an AHL-level defense in the first one. Last night though, no idea why they were so abysmal. Maybe Dahlin & co just didn’t care?

Tough to say what’s gonna happen based on the preseason, besides Levi being the starter (lol) and Benson making the starting roster. Which I still think is bad because of his size and putting him on a line with Skinner and TAGE would be very stupid considering Tuch was the only guy on that line who could defend.

Also Greenway and Olofsson loving suck and need to be dumped ASAP. Maybe they can trade one or both for a forward who is halfway decent in their own zone, wouldn’t that be crazy!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/sabrespr/status/1710293891058926042?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Seems likely this will be the opening day roster, too, which is a choice. Also weird that they only iced Johnson for one preseason game and Clifton for two considering they will need time to get used to playing with their new teammates in a new system. Clifton looked bad the other night against Columbus. I’m not convinced he’s ready for top-pairing minutes. Greenway and Olofsson suck, too. Not sure what Donny G thinks he can get out of Greenway.

I’m not feeling super optimistic about the regular season but in spite of that I’m going to the home opener!!! Let’s Go Buffalo!!!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sidney Crosby just got in a fistfight with Peyton Krebs in a preseason game. That owns.

https://twitter.com/sabresplays/status/1710446573736304725?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Jamwad Hilder posted:

That's because Connor Clifton isn't very good and he got overrated this summer for some reason. He got a big boost by playing on Boston's defense and occasionally getting reps with McAvoy or Lindholm, but he was basically a passenger player. He's fine if he's on your third pairing, and he plays a fun and exciting style of hockey, but he makes a lot of bad plays and sucks at defending players on the rush.

Since the Sabres have embraced Fancy Stats, I guess Clifton had a really good impact on the PK which was one of the Sabres’ biggest weaknesses last season.

Eric Johnson brings… uh… veteran leadership and intangibles.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 7, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Love to watch my goalie that the team rushed into being their #1 guy give up seven goals

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It seems like the Sabres roster on opening night is gonna be:

Skinner-TAGE!-Tuch
Peterka-Cozens-Olofsson
Greenway-Mittelstadt-Benson
Girgensens-Krebs-Okposo
Jost

Dahlin-Clifton(?!)
Power-Jokiharju
Samuelsson-E. Johnson
Bryson (lol)

Levi
UPL
Comrie

Bryson is still there but Stillman was waived even though Bryson sucks and they traded for Stillman at the deadline. Olofsson was never traded so he’s just kinda there. The defensive pairs are stupid. Are they gonna do the three goalie thing again? Weird choices all around. Is this actually an improvement over last year? Seems unlikely right now.

Edit: Clifton played in the USA national hockey development program under Granato, in case anyone was wondering why they are overvaluing him.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Armia was the drafted in the first round by the Sabres back in 2011, what a loving bust he turned out to be.

The Sabres should pick up Martin Jones on waivers, he couldn’t be worse than the options they have, right? … right?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1711351039071498653?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Whatever, he rules. Gonna be the #1 guy here until he’s at least 30 lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

mcmagic posted:

The Devils got their whole team signed for under 9MM lol. Fitz is a warlock.

The Tage contract is a thing of beauty, tho

The Dirty Burger posted:

Dahlin is another reminder not to bridge contract your young star players

Eh Kevyn signed a bunch of the other players to good value contracts so I’m not mad about it.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/pham1717/status/1711386544265687398?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

https://twitter.com/pham1717/status/1711385977673941245?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Luckily, Clifton playing top-pairing minutes didn’t even last into the regular season!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 9, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I guess that explains why the Jets didn’t trade Hellebuyck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/llysowski/status/1712125413843980600?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

I’m cautiously optimistic for the home opener tomorrow night.