Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Roguelikes are probably my most played genre ever, the classic kind: grid- and turn-based, permadeath, no significant metaprogression, etc.. Roguelites are cool too but I'm one of the dwindling few that insists that words matter and that there should be a distinction. I have accepted that this battle is lost and will not waste time arguing about it. I will talk about them all here and you can too.

My favorite -likes these days are Caves of Qud, Cogmind, Rift Wizard and Jupiter Hell. My favorite -lites are Star of Providence, Synthetik and BoI.

I've been playing Path of Achra lately, early access game that takes the Rift Wizard formula and focuses it nearly to the point of being an autobattler. Figure out broken builds and blow dudes up. It's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

been thinking it would be fun to have an imp team in the next DCSS tournament.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

I'd be down for that.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSfpoSrCGsQ

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

star of providence absolutely rules. i hope it sells big on the switch

nuclear throne is my favorite lite because its instant action. the whole game is pure adrenaline

----------------

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Hey anyone remember Hades?

----------------

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Edmund McMillen confirmed that red poop causes damage "because it is made out of AIDS" in regards to the Carrion Queen.

----------------

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Average Bear posted:

yes

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Dongicus posted:

Edmund McMillen confirmed that red poop causes damage "because it is made out of AIDS" in regards to the Carrion Queen.

----------------

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dongicus posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Dongicus posted:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cogmind kicks rear end. The core gimmick of replacing parts as they break adds a ton of challenge.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Roguelikes ftmfw. ADOM got me through some hard times.

Roguelites are fine but they've gone too far. Something needs to be done about it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I bought Jupiter Hell like a year ago and still haven't played it yet. One day...

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I've bought isaac more times than I'd like to admit. Probably put a few thousand hours into it.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

DCSS ftw

I have been playing Tangledeep the last few days. It's a very pretty graphical roguelite that can be played as a roguelike if you like, definitely possible to win without any upgrades from prior characters. Nice music and graphics. It's a little slow and boring though, and it gets old. I splatted earlier on a mob I could have safely beaten because I was just too tired of the game to take the proper precautions even though I knew I might die.

It's a shame because there's clearly a lot of love put into it and the town, item upgrading systems, job classes all have a lot of thought put into them and are cool but aren't enough to overcome the actual dungeon crawling being a pain. Bounced off it a couple times and came back because I liked a lot of things but I think I'm done for good this time.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Thinking bout Gungeon again. Also thinking about Alphaman but I always am.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

extremebuff posted:

star of providence absolutely rules. i hope it sells big on the switch

nuclear throne is my favorite lite because its instant action. the whole game is pure adrenaline

nuclear throe is ap erfect game

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Dongicus posted:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
re: the lites - a new demo for balatro landed recently and it's real real good

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Kins posted:

re: the lites - a new demo for balatro landed recently and it's real real good

I love this game I think I 100%d the first demo

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

DCSS is probably in the running for my most played game of all time. I think I started with 0.4 and I still pick it up again every couple years.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

DCSS is almost certainly my most played game. Between tracked online time and untracked offline I'm at ~1500h, and that's with not playing much at all for the last 10 versions. I've been unhappy with Crawl's development for a while but I'm starting to get the itch again.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

The first one I ever played was sword of fargoal for the commodore 64. I couldn't read so it was a very hard game but I remember it was really fun to walk through a door and reveal a huge room lol

I remember being super into castle of the wind or something like that when we got our first home computer. I didn't know about rogue was until way later in life once people started calling all these games roguelikes. Then I tried rogue and I didn't care for it. The end.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the roguelike/lite I may have played the most other than Slay the Spire is probably IVAN. I used to keep it on a thumb drive so I could play it at school lol

I haven't played Qud yet, I've heard people mention it a ton though. might try it some time soon

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the roguelike/lite I may have played the most other than Slay the Spire is probably IVAN. I used to keep it on a thumb drive so I could play it at school lol

I haven't played Qud yet, I've heard people mention it a ton though. might try it some time soon

I played IVAN a bunch but the way enemy spawns scale based on your gear just kills it for me, it sucks to finally get a good item and basically be punished for it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ivan seemd cool but it also seemed like th kind of game thatd get you killed in prison if you admitted to playin it

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Fungah! posted:

ivan seemd cool but it also seemed like th kind of game thatd get you killed in prison if you admitted to playin it

:stare: is there something insane I'm not remembering

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh wait not ivan. whats that one pervert roguelike game

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elona?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

oh yeah I remember that from way back when. that's a psycho-style roguelike, IVAN's goofy bullshit where you can turn your arm into banana flesh. had me going for a sec

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The guy who plays IVAN is the guy who kills the guy who plays Elona

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Average Bear posted:

a great game that then asks you to beat it 8 more times for lore lol. hoipe for 2.

----------------

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Informal poll: do you like to focus on one build or branch out and try different things? In Dungeon Crawl I can get high rune wins on my Vinestalker Berserker every now and again but still can’t play casters to save my life.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

extremebuff posted:

a great game that then asks you to beat it 8 more times for lore lol. hoipe for 2.

this guy felt like he was done with hades after 2 wins.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

noita is cool

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

noita good game

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Hades was awesome but there wasn't enough variety to hold my attention for too long. I played it for like month solid though so that's pretty drat good. I just had no reason to keep going back to it like Slay the Spire or Isaac

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Hades was awesome but there wasn't enough variety to hold my attention for too long. I played it for like month solid though so that's pretty drat good. I just had no reason to keep going back to it like Slay the Spire or Isaac

yup pretty much. i played like 100 hours, i loved it, never wnt to play it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I got the 32 heat statue then burned out. It kinda suffers by that point cause you've turned off so many options the deck building decision aspect fades away