Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

P-Mack posted:

I got the 32 heat statue then burned out. It kinda suffers by that point cause you've turned off so many options the deck building decision aspect fades away

I keep telling myself I'll go back sometime and try for this but it'll never happen

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
hades is over after you party with the olympians imo. they did a really good job of having the roguelihe part feel like it's progressing alongside the story pretty much all the way up til the end, then once the story's over the gameplay progression might go a little teensy bit further but it's pretty much done. you can round out whatever you haven't accomplished, but at that point it's more for completionism.
it's something you maybe revisit in like 5-10 years time just to experience it again, but not something you continuously play forever

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ancient greek assault rifle

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

beginning my Caves of Qud career by reading the help section

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Started playing DCSS again. 200 deaths since.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Qud is amazing and anyone who likes ADOM or Elder Scrolls or Fallout or Dune or good games should play it

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
How's ADOM been since they started selling it? I only ever made it to the fire temple in 1.0, got a couple of mindcrafters killed in the Steam version but didn't get far.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I know a lot of people are on the fence about this game but has anyone mentioned life yet? Or is life only a true roguelike to atheists? I guess you don't really get any bonuses from samsara..

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

bees x1000 posted:

Qud is amazing and anyone who likes ADOM or Elder Scrolls or Fallout or Dune or good games should play it

the default graphics have a great aesthetic, i haven't dabbled in these more traditional roguelikes that much but i usually try to find a tileset. this just has such a strong look

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

welcome posted:

How's ADOM been since they started selling it? I only ever made it to the fire temple in 1.0, got a couple of mindcrafters killed in the Steam version but didn't get far.

It's easier than the pre 1.0 versions I used to play, especially with all the item suffixes and prefixes. And you won't immediately crash the game if a drakeling spits in the fire temple and the other weird bugs it used to have

Mindcrafter is a challenge class imo, no getting around it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

oddium posted:

ancient greek assault rifle

the original idea was for dualie pistols late in development and the animator was like "so whos gonna make the 800 animations of him holding dualies in every position because its not me" and they settled for the rifle lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

extremebuff posted:

the original idea was for dualie pistols late in development and the animator was like "so whos gonna make the 800 animations of him holding dualies in every position because its not me" and they settled for the rifle lol

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

welcome posted:

it's good, bit easier/less grind but it's still got that adom jank

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I've never liked ADOM very much but it's been clicking with me recently. I'd like to break the game with a Wizard but I need to get one beyond level 10 first.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

I've never liked ADOM very much but it's been clicking with me recently. I'd like to break the game with a Wizard but I need to get one beyond level 10 first.

Elementalist is not as good overall i think but might be easier in the early game. But wizard is so sick once you get Acid Ball, I think I actually burned a wish on that spellbook on my winning wizard run

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

extremebuff posted:

lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

extremebuff posted:

ancient greek pistols "Comedy" and "Tragedy "....

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

extremebuff posted:

lol that rules

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Trying ADOM 3.3.3 and forgot how much I hated traps in this game, love it when half my equipment just explodes.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

welcome posted:

Trying ADOM 3.3.3 and forgot how much I hated traps in this game, love it when half my equipment just explodes.

get a fireproof and waterproof blanket noob

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Fungah! posted:

get a fireproof and waterproof blanket noob

Doesn't help against door runes, acid traps, your longbow of accuracy is torn to shreds.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

welcome posted:

Doesn't help against door runes, acid traps, your longbow of accuracy is torn to shreds.

rip

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Just kick the doors in diagonally this is day one stuff

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Uh huh.
code:
######
....@+
######

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I'm just cranky cause my stuff keeps blowing up, I'm sick in the pyramid and there are mummies after me.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

welcome posted:

I'm just cranky cause my stuff keeps blowing up, I'm sick in the pyramid and there are mummies after me.

drat you dont have an art weapon by the pyramid?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Fungah! posted:

drat you dont have an art weapon by the pyramid?

All I've found is the si. I've got huge stacks of slings and shortbows plus a bunch of decent swords for whenever I lose this sharpness one.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Vortex snuck up on my ill rear end in the big room. Easy come easy go!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ive lost so many good starts to major bullshit in the big room. big condolences

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i also got gnome with a wand of deathd in the big room in nethack. big rooms fuckin suick

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

P-Mack posted:

Just kick the doors in diagonally this is day one stuff

TIL. is there anything in-game that indicates this behavior or is it yet another reason to be playing with the wiki open?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

TIL. is there anything in-game that indicates this behavior or is it yet another reason to be playing with the wiki open?

it's just kind of a common sense thing that the boulder that drops in front of the door won't hit you if you aren't in front of the door

there's also a less obvious thing that trapped doors have a slightly different message when kicked without breaking which might help future decision making

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

First roguelike huh?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Arrhythmia posted:

First roguelike huh?

the genre doesn't have to be riddled with undocumented BS, that's why I like modern roguelikes

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

the genre doesn't have to be riddled with undocumented BS, that's why I like modern roguelikes

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the well-documented BS of this-a year

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

just saying, play Qud/Cogmind/Jupiter Hell/etc.. and you won't run into any Creator's Days

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

just saying, play Qud/Cogmind/Jupiter Hell/etc.. and you won't run into any Creator's Days

Crud. Cuckmind. Poopiter Smells.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

Crud. Cuckmind. Poopiter Smells.

grapes melons oranges and coconut shells aw yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

grapes melons oranges and coconut shells aw yeah