Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

Crud. Cuckmind. Poopiter Smells.

Fungah! posted:

grapes melons oranges and coconut shells aw yeah

Lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

time to wade into the rogue like thread and complain about surprises edit: he made the drat thread.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fungah! posted:

lol

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

bees x1000 posted:

been thinking it would be fun to have an imp team in the next DCSS tournament.

I'd be down for a tournament. I haven't entered one in years but I still play the mobile version off and on.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Arrhythmia posted:

Crud. Cuckmind. Poopiter Smells.

Fungah! posted:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bees x1000 posted:

the genre doesn't have to be riddled with undocumented BS, that's why I like modern roguelikes

yep. dredmor did for roguelikes what sim city 2013 did for city builders

oddium fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 28, 2023

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

b_d posted:

time to wade into the rogue like thread and complain about surprises edit: he made the drat thread.

Lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

b_d posted:

Lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

b_d posted:

lol

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

b_d posted:

meh, it’s fair to prefer Crawl’s design philosophy over NetHack’s. I’m trying to meet ADOM on its own terms but I will probably complain about more before I get a win.

oddium posted:

yep. dredmor did for roguelikes what sim city 2013 did for city builders

you’re probably joking but a lot of people like Dredmor. A lot of people like the objectively terrible Rogue Legacy too so there’s no accounting for taste.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yall see the splatoon 3 expansion thats gonna be a rogue lite.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I've made it to the mid game of ADOM exactly once. It requires way too much constant optimal play to get anywhere. Like even opening a door was a process.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Made it to uh the mid game? (saved the sage, finished all Dwarftown quests) for the first time with this stack of characters. Feel like I'm doing a little better about not getting killed immediately nowadays, mostly by staying out of the puppy cave. On the other hand it's around slightly before this point each run where I realize that I don't know what the hell I'm doing this late in the game and it's a big rear end time investment to get here. On the third hand I'm sure glad I got precrowned with Nature's Companion.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'm stuck in a 'clear village dungeon > get killed by something I've never seen before' loop. Or I get a wilderness ambush that I don't know how to escape from. Still, having more fun with the game than I've ever had before.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Steam version isn't starting at all for me. Feels bad, I wanted to check out some of the new bullshit.

Anyway I usually just beelined for the Small Mountain Cave for reasons I can't clearly remember.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Congrats. I always get impatient and end up screwing myself over when I try worshipping Chei.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Cleared ToeF for the first time, nerve-wracking as an archer with no rings of ice or good artifact melee weapons but I shot those fuckers to death. Then I found this whip in Darkforge, probably should have gone there first lol.

quote:

It is a dragon slayer.
It is an undead slayer.
It is an unlife slayer.
It is a humanoid slayer.
It is a giant slayer.
It is a demon slayer.
It is an insect slayer.
It is a plant slayer.
It is a jelly slayer.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

welcome posted:

Cleared ToeF for the first time, nerve-wracking as an archer with no rings of ice or good artifact melee weapons but I shot those fuckers to death. Then I found this whip in Darkforge, probably should have gone there first lol.

holy poo poo good work lol, thats where all my archer runs get pwned. cant believe you did it with no rings of ice, did you find an eternium bow or somethin

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Nice! Keep your guard up but if you can handle the ToeF you should be able to coast for a while.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Fungah! posted:

holy poo poo good work lol, thats where all my archer runs get pwned. cant believe you did it with no rings of ice, did you find an eternium bow or somethin

Oh I did have Sun's Messenger so that was covered lol, I was more worried about my ammo because as soon as I equipped my main stack of arrows they started blowing up every other turn. I wound up just dipping them in holy water 40 at a time and they held up better, took forever but it worked.

Don't know whether to keep going in the CoC or to do some of the optional dungeons, I was born under Book so I might try the Rift.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

welcome posted:

Oh I did have Sun's Messenger so that was covered lol, I was more worried about my ammo because as soon as I equipped my main stack of arrows they started blowing up every other turn. I wound up just dipping them in holy water 40 at a time and they held up better, took forever but it worked.

Don't know whether to keep going in the CoC or to do some of the optional dungeons, I was born under Book so I might try the Rift.

rift is scary as poo poo, id say maybe save that for later. youre probably not gonna get a ton out of th sinister library anyway and the spellbook guardians can be poo poo like greater molochs or ancient dragons and thats ignoring just falling into the rift and losin 2/3 of your inventory

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Nice :cheers:

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Fungah! posted:

rift is scary as poo poo, id say maybe save that for later. youre probably not gonna get a ton out of th sinister library anyway and the spellbook guardians can be poo poo like greater molochs or ancient dragons and thats ignoring just falling into the rift and losin 2/3 of your inventory

Well I did it anyway after doing the minotaur maze (barf), lost a phase dagger on the way in and all I got in return was the babbling corruption while waiting quietly in the library and a spellbook of acid ball that immediately burst into flames.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lol the minotaur maze. Back when I used to play a lot it was not even remotely worth doing, I dunno if it's been changed?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
The axe is supposedly better and the emperor randomly drops more stuff, dropped 4 potions of cure corruption for me. Still a miserable area.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the axe is actually th highest-damaging melee weapon in the game, on par with the trident of the red rooster. still an absolutely fuckin miserable slog though lol

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I hate traps so much that I've settled on a Human Assassin as my first serious attempt at winning. Extra skill points to put into Alertness and Detect Traps.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Dwarfs of any class start with detect traps as well, probably a little easier to keep alive.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I like humans because the extra skill points seem really valuable on backgrounds that have many great skills. Also I'm already considering thief instead of assassin because their class powers seem really strong.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Human Farmer is ftw

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

P-Mack posted:

Human Farmer is ftw

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I win.

quote:

code:
He: uncursed helm of the Night Watchman [+0, +8] {Pe+4}              [100s]
Ne: uncursed amulet of death ray resistance                            [7s]
Bo: uncursed fine leather armor (named) (+2, +0) [+2, +8] (+15 spd)  [120s]
Gi: uncursed girdle of giant strength [+0, +0] {St+12}                [30s]
Cl: blessed hooded cloak [+3, +1]                                     [40s]
RH: blessed black whip of extinction (-4, 2d5)                        [15s]
LH: uncursed tower crystal shield [+16, +4]                          [260s]
RR: blessed ring of the master cat [+0, +5] {Dx+16} (+16 spd)          [1s]
LR: uncursed ring of slaying (+9 melee damage, +6 missile damage)      [1s]
Br: uncursed bracers of regeneration [+0, +0]                         [18s]
Ga: blessed gauntlets of strength (-1, +0) [-1, +1] {St+3}            [40s]
Bo: blessed seven league boots [+1, +0]                               [30s]
MW: blessed elven long bow (named) (+15, +15)                         [30s]
Mi: bundle of 944 blessed arrows (+0, 1d6)                          [1888s]
Tl: uncursed cornucopia {Ma+13}                                      [100s]

He was the champion of the arena.
He was a member of the thieves guild.
He made a little water dragon very happy.
He brought an infamous raider lord to justice.
He killed the emperor of the ancient minotaur race.
He defeated the arch enemy of a mighty karmic wyrm.
He adhered to the principles of the Cat Lord but fell from grace.
He saved Khelavaster from certain death.
He left the Drakalor Chain after completing his quest and became a great
leader and famous hero.
Game was pretty smooth sailing after ToeF, as P-Mack suggested. It was pretty smooth sailing before too, although if I didn't have Sun's Messenger I'd probably have died much earlier thanks to finding two other long bows all game lol. Almost got killed by the first three ultimate doppelgangers I met, then I wised up and started not fighting them. Don't know if gnomes really need the Book sign but Strength of Atlas and Teleportation were huge once I found em.

The big changes since 1.0.whatever are the random dungeons, the Rolf quest (which I locked myself out of before finding out about it), more artifacts, and more and WAY gentler corruptions. Poison hands and mana battery still both popped up but every new corruption I saw was almost entirely not worth removing, some were just pure positives without even appearance penalties.

Time to play something else I guess. Or fill up the high score list with human farmers...

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

welcome posted:

I win.

Game was pretty smooth sailing after ToeF, as P-Mack suggested. It was pretty smooth sailing before too, although if I didn't have Sun's Messenger I'd probably have died much earlier thanks to finding two other long bows all game lol. Almost got killed by the first three ultimate doppelgangers I met, then I wised up and started not fighting them. Don't know if gnomes really need the Book sign but Strength of Atlas and Teleportation were huge once I found em.

The big changes since 1.0.whatever are the random dungeons, the Rolf quest (which I locked myself out of before finding out about it), more artifacts, and more and WAY gentler corruptions. Poison hands and mana battery still both popped up but every new corruption I saw was almost entirely not worth removing, some were just pure positives without even appearance penalties.

Time to play something else I guess. Or fill up the high score list with human farmers...

poo poo dude, good work

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

He made a little water dragon very happy.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

help blup

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
when you're drowning

Fungah! posted:

help blup

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

welcome posted:

I win.

Good poo poo, special congrats on remembering death ray resistance.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Nice man, I'm probably still weeks/months away from a win. I keep dying around xl12.

Speaking of, what's a reliable way to get a good early thief weapon that doesn't involve burning three talents on an heir gift?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Well you're not getting anything as good as the heir gift early lol. I'd pick up a spear and shield and start using those, there's no penalty for cross training weapons and pole arms get good DV bonuses as they level. But that heir dagger is definitely worth playing a gnome and burning three talents to get.