Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

youre also guaranteed one very good polearm if you do the blup quest nd if you take raven you get it at level 16ish. i think the other weap[on classes are better now but for a while polearms+shield were th number one weapon category hands down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

TIL that some quests are timed and you shouldn't accept them until you're ready and

quote:

Throwing the corpse of the cute dog at the tiny girl is a repeatable minor chaotic act.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Wasn't paying attention, got doomed by some karmic lizards in the middle of a big group, and my best run yet quickly fell apart.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

In Training posted:

games that seem like complete gibberish from the outside ftw

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

TIL

DAMMIT

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

TIL

DAMMIT

lol you put your stash in terinyo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

guy who put a bunch of free poo poo on the ground where anyone can find it

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Fungah! posted:

guy who put a bunch of free poo poo on the ground where anyone can find it

lol (?)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

(the main character in most roguelikes is represented by @)

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

oh yeah. i got it completely. dont know how that question mark got in there i think i sneezed

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I respect the NPCs and they should respect me

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

bees x1000 posted:

TIL

DAMMIT

Why stash elven chain mail, it weighs about as much as three slices of bread.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I stash everything while I figure out the rules for item destruction

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

If you haven't died from climbing stairs while severely burdened, have you really played adom

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

lots of bad luck today, my dudes getting killed by xl2 pit viper swarm traps and chaos mutants in the village dungeon. getting annoyed by the amount of clicking required to get through character creation.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

lots of bad luck today, my dudes getting killed by xl2 pit viper swarm traps and chaos mutants in the village dungeon. getting annoyed by the amount of clicking required to get through character creation.

Yeah I liked it when it was just race/class and out the door.

Dunno if it still works but there was a speed run strat where you held down a single key on game start and it would pick assassin, start the game, open the skill menu, open alchemy, attempt to mix whatever unmixable potion starts in that inventory slot, and then it explodes and kills you on turn 1.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

P-Mack posted:

Yeah I liked it when it was just race/class and out the door.

Dunno if it still works but there was a speed run strat where you held down a single key on game start and it would pick assassin, start the game, open the skill menu, open alchemy, attempt to mix whatever unmixable potion starts in that inventory slot, and then it explodes and kills you on turn 1.

Lol

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Doing the same start loop every game wears me out (Terinyo quests -> Holeinthewall kill + guild leader -> hope I don't get ambushed on my way to pop in and out of small cave -> start playing), especially when I get killed immediately after.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

bees x1000 posted:

TIL that some quests are timed and you shouldn't accept them until you're ready and

I was wrong about the dog quest, it’s timed whether you talk to the kid or not. I’ll save it eventually.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

more things I learned today

- you really should have a ranged attack ready at all times
- 'archery' works for any 't' action
- you can be cursed and lucky at the same time
- any monster, even a rat, can stun if your hp is low enough
- lightning vortexes will deal ~80 damage in one shot

after 40 hours logged my best run is only xl15. I'm learning a lot in that I keep finding new ways to die.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQfrHkjvx6g

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
new caves of qud update looking epic. I've had enough delving these rust-laden depths. it's time to turn back the girsh nephilim and take back Omonporch. byaahhh

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

welp my best ADOM run yet might be over due to bugs. level 16 Human Assassin, I'd just found robes of resistance to go with my stack of adamantium weapons and longbow of accuracy. I saved at dwarftown and got flooded with error messages and now I can't load that save.

I submitted a bug report but if the character can't be restored I'll probably be putting ADOM down.

edit:
I remembered that the game makes save backups and looked up how to use them. Back in the saddle.

edit edit
and a vault full of titans killed me very quickly

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 11, 2023

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

bees x1000 posted:

edit:
I remembered that the game makes save backups and looked up how to use them. Back in the saddle.

edit edit
and a vault full of titans killed me very quickly

That's rough but lol.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

The titan room on like D:17. There were at least 12 of them. I don't really know anything about mid- or late-game but that seems insanely dangerous for that depth level. I can get to Dwarftown with some regularity now but then I never really know what to do. Everywhere seems too dangerous.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

never open vaults unless youre prepared to get turned intoa greasy smear

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'll have to figure out how to identify a vault from the outside then

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

What else are you saving your wands of monster detection for

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Was it a vault or a tension room? You get level messages regardless but a tension room full of titans is a way nastier surprise lol. It wasn't the dwarven halls was it?

Generally if you can do all of Thrundarr's quests I think you should be able to make it down to the wall of flames. I usually do first three quests to get the wand and open the ogre cave stash, leave to do the pyramid and dwarf graveyard, then finish the last two. Lots of great treasure graves to rob in the graveyard if you've got undead slaying ammo/death ray resistance/don't give a drat.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

welcome posted:

Was it a vault or a tension room? You get level messages regardless but a tension room full of titans is a way nastier surprise lol. It wasn't the dwarven halls was it?

Generally if you can do all of Thrundarr's quests I think you should be able to make it down to the wall of flames. I usually do first three quests to get the wand and open the ogre cave stash, leave to do the pyramid and dwarf graveyard, then finish the last two. Lots of great treasure graves to rob in the graveyard if you've got undead slaying ammo/death ray resistance/don't give a drat.

Yeah that approach gets quite a few guaranteed artifacts too.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

it could've been the dwarven halls but I don't know. this was my first time going below dwarftown, I thought I was strong enough to explore. I'll check out those quests, I've got another dude back at dwarftown right now.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

it could've been the dwarven halls but I don't know. this was my first time going below dwarftown, I thought I was strong enough to explore. I'll check out those quests, I've got another dude back at dwarftown right now.

Okay always make sure it's not the dwarven halls cause that place will gently caress you up real fast

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dwarven halls/living woods is th worst thing in the game bar none because th woods sucks but dwarven halls will kill you 100% of the time

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

to the point where i'll only ever even thnk of doin dwarven halls if i cn magic map and the staircase is 1) the next room from the up stair or 2) i have controlled tele

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

actually dwarven halls ws th only time i ever got ssj greater moloched, i downstaired, took like two steps, and then instantly evaporated

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I always try the halls first because the forest is the worst thing man has ever created.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Was thinking about picking up Ultimate ADOM, which is supposed to be really bad anyway, and then heard that the animated forest is still in it but now you can only move in four directions.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

welcome posted:

Was thinking about picking up Ultimate ADOM, which is supposed to be really bad anyway, and then heard that the animated forest is still in it but now you can only move in four directions.

gah!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

animated forest is human fuckin misery. hell like half the forks/dungeons in midgame are fuckin misery, its part of why i stopped playing. at least nethack only like a couple of quests and gehennom are hell and by the time you get to gehennom you cn usually deal with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Can you still just tunnel around the entire forest