Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

ASCII mode has been on their dev roadmap for years, the next big update is supposed to happen next month but I don't know if it'll be included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I've won twice so far but only on easy and normal. On the easy run I got the bloodletter when I already had the vampirism master trait and it was crazy good, doing like 200 or more damage per shot and I was immune to bleed so I only took a bit of damage on reloading. The normal run was an angel of shotgunnery run where I never got anything better than an autoshotgun. I kept trying it as a technician but fireangel never worked well for me past the 2nd moon even when I got a sick SSG that reloaded itself on kill. I'm gonna try a different master trait next time I play tech and use smoke a lot more often. tried a marine and won first try with army of the dead lol. I took the side paths that let you get the frozen heart and sacrifice it and I dunno if I'll do that again any time soon, the wishes you can pick from don't seem worth it to me.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I found some really old build of doomrl on my hard drive so I was playing that yesterday. Died at The Wall, alas

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

got my first HMP win. it was a huge step up from HNTR so I'm gonna stick here for a while I think. the beginning of the game feels brutal but Angel of Shotgunnery got me through the rougher parts. I need to get better with weapons that can miss

code:
Albatross, level 16 Technician,
defeated the Harbinger against all odds.

He survived for 14741 turns.
The run time was 4h 32m 39s.
World seed was 5607.
He scored 5807 points.
He liked it HARD!
He was an Angel of Shotgunnery!

CALLISTO L3 - Volatile Storage
CALLISTO L3 -> Callisto Mines L1
Callisto Mines L2 -> Callisto Anomaly
Callisto Anomaly - Cleared!
EUROPA L3 -> Europa Dig Zone L1
Europa Dig Zone L1 - The Hunt
Europa Dig Zone L3 -> Tyre Outpost
Tyre Outpost - Cleared!
IO L2 -> Io Black Site L1
Io Black Site L1 - Infestation
Io Black Site L3 - Low Power
Io Black Site L3 -> Black Site Vaults
Black Site Vaults - Cleared!
Black Site Vaults - found Apocalypse

Awards
  Medal of Prejudice (+200)
   * Won with 100% kills
  CRI Star (bronze cluster) (+50)
   * 25+ kills without taking damage
  JoviSec Gold Badge
   * Win a game on at least HARD
  CRI Silver Badge
   * Win a MEDIUM or higher game with 100% kills
  Anomaly Silver Badge
   * Clear Callisto Anomaly on HARD or higher
  Shottyman Gold Badge
   * Complete AoSh on Hard

He killed 696 out of 696 enemies.

40 former grunts           10 CalSec sentries
 6  corrupted grunts        35 security sentries
 1  former CRI grunt        2  military sentries
 11 former grenadiers       5  CalSec bots
 3  corrupted grenadiers    5  security bots
 1  hellish grenadier       14 military bots
 16 former soldiers         15 reavers
 18 corrupted soldiers      26 cryoreavers
 12 hellish soldiers        12 toxic reavers
 1  former CRI soldier      26 archreavers
 6  former sergeants        15 kerberi
 2  corrupted sergeants     10 cyberi
 3  hellish sergeants       7  cryoberi
 2  former CRI sergeants    4  toxiberi
 20 former guards           14 medusae
 2  CRI guards              6  archmedusae
 4  former commandoes       14 ravagers
 4  corrupted commandoes    4  armored ravagers
 4  hellish commandoes      6  siege ravagers
 2  former CRI commandoes   4  plasma ravagers
 3  corrupted heavies       41 CRI marines
 2  hellish heavies         29 CRI bots
 2  former CRI heavies      8  guardians
 5  fanatics                2  sentinels
 14 security drones         6  warlocks
 24 combat drones           1  archwarlock
 61 fiends                  4  watchers
 16 fire fiends             3  cryowatchers
 43 ice fiends              4  pyrowatchers
 7  toxic fiends

Traits
  Skilled L3
  Whizkid L1
  Powerjack L1
  Cover Master L3
  Hacker L1
  Toxicologist L3
  WIZARD L3

Trait order
  Cov->Pow->Tox->Skl->Hak->MWZ->Whk->Skl->
  MWZ->Tox->Cov->Tox->MWZ->Skl->Cov

Equipment
  Slot #1 : JS 12ga super shotgun V
   * Vampiric 3
   * JoviSec
   * Frenzy 10
   * Rinse, Repeat

Slot #2 : AV2 12ga auto-shotgun PB
   * Molten 3
   * Autoloader
   * Frenzy 10
   * Ripper 12

Slot #3 : plasma shotgun +PBA
   * Retaliate
   * Swap Harness
   * Point Blank 8
   * Auto-calibrating 98%

Body : marine armor
  Head : TTL blast helmet A
   * Long-range tracking
   * Tei Tenga Labs
   * Blast shield

Utility : AV3 shotgun AMP
   * Shotgun reloader
   * Shotgun crit system

Relic : ravager's heart
   * Ravager's Blood

Permanents
  Medusa's Curse
  Relic Corruption
  Crystal skin

Inventory
  energy cell (x54)
  12ga shell (x50)
  12ga shell (x39)
  gas grenade (x1)
  EMP grenade (x2)
  CRI phase kit (x3)
  large combat pack
  combat pack (x1)
  large medkit
  large medkit

poison smoke + robots is OP. but building up to it took me a ton of tries. avoided Dante's Inferno because I didn't wanna lose lol

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Did a Hard endless run to practice semi-auto guns and god drat there are so many archmedusae past a certain point. died on floor 24, one away from the silver endless badge. to an archmedusa of course. not sure how to deal with more than 1 of those without tech smoke. but I did learn the real power of Aiming, especially with an amp that converts Aim to damage. used a 9mm rifle with an emp mod pack and a 7.62 one with a cold mod pack for the whole run and picked up a relic that makes enemies bleed when I hit them pretty early. I also grabbed the nailgun but I kept reloading it too early so I stopped using it, might have helped on the medusa swarms.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 16, 2023

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

jumped in to caves of qud blind because I noticed it just updated and also noticed it had a dual pistols bird mutant starting class. so far I've been to red rock and done 2 quests.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Protip: You can turn off the fake CRT effects.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

rodbeard posted:

Protip: You can turn off the fake CRT effects.

I like them. the reason I'd rather play ascii is just because I assume it'd be easier to identify enemy types in, there's a lot of fiends/ravagers/former humans etc and its a little rough to pick them out at a glance.

Does Qud have anything like ascii crawl where you can see a list of visible enemies and their health? the nearby things window isn't quite what I'm looking for

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

died to a hosed up monster in a well in qud so I started over and something immediately exploded. aggroing a guard to kill the first quest giver and several other farmers and a cat.

woke operator
Nov 17, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i forget exactly what it is the zealot does to trigger it but he gets creamed in about a quarter of my starts. ualraig hates his rear end at the best of times

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah on my current run I came back to find him dead on the ground and I stole his book. This time I realized that I probably shouldn't go gung-ho with my ammo and I've made it to the point where I'm being told to go to the "grit gate". gonna explore a bit more around here first but I've cleared out red rock, one of the wells and the lair of a legendary crocodile.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
There's a sultan history on the north side of Joppa outskirts that'll reveal an early historic site. danger is variable but it's something you can look at around that time

woke operator
Nov 17, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Eagle posted:

Yeah on my current run I came back to find him dead on the ground and I stole his book. This time I realized that I probably shouldn't go gung-ho with my ammo and I've made it to the point where I'm being told to go to the "grit gate". gonna explore a bit more around here first but I've cleared out red rock, one of the wells and the lair of a legendary crocodile.

you're starting a wonderful adventure, caves of qud owns from start to finish. cheers my friend

----------------

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

my head got exploded by a novice of the Sightless Way while I was retreating and had no idea what was going on.

I had just found like 400 slugs on the ground too. I guess I should have just gone after him instead of retreating but I was surrounded by a bunch of other guys. farewell level 11 gunwing

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Back up to around where I died, this time I've got much better armor, an artifact shield called the Stopsvalinn, a light source hat, a flaming beak ray and the ability to make temporal copies of myself. the first time I used that ability the copy immediately shot the poo poo out of me for 15 damage. that is going to kill me for sure once I can call more than one of them

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Qud is a top 10 GOAT, I've deliberately not played for the last year but I'm jumping back in after a few major updates. Double pistol mutant is my favorite build too, with triple jointed and elec generation for offense, and regeneration and phasing for survivability. Regen and some heat resistance make spontaneous combustion easy to deal with.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

elec gen is so strong early on. and possibly late game too never made it that far

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Long session tonight where I fell down a chasm before looking at what it was and couldn't find a way back up for what felt like 20+ screens. ended up leveling all the way to 15 and I got the precognition mutation which seems like it'll be saving my life at some point. Didn't run into any head exploders this time so I made it to the grit gate safe and sound and went nuts on the shop there by selling like 30 books lol. 1000+ ammo in the pack and a whole lotta other poo poo.

I also discovered the tattoo gun.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I was not prepared for golgotha. RIP

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

took a qud break after that death and died to the final boss of jupiter hell on hard angel of marksmanship and beat it on hard angel of carnage. I had a rocket launcher that threw smoke everywhere and was mostly able to ignore the infinite spawns on the final boss. not so much as my marksmanship guy

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

finally got the helmet that turns all mechs, bots and turrets to your side and got an angel of marksmanship win with it. I think I've unlocked all the modes now except the last two difficulties which I'm no where near prepared for. I do wanna take a look at the hosed up special zone that unlocks the last one, though

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

penta post

I tried out melee, thinking it would be kinda hard so I played on medium. found out that the spawns during the final boss are in fact not infinite lol

that was a ton of fun, and I felt unkillable once I got vampyre going. I should have played on hard. soulstealer being guaranteed seems like it would make moon 4 a free win for melee, but maybe UV and up are hard enough that you wouldn't gib the swordmaster in 1 hit

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

next Crawl tournament starts 19th January.

http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/trunk-updates-11-december-2023-and-tournament-announcement

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

You have no idea how badly I needed this ring

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

great tree. I spent many hours back in the day playing angband variants. ToME was especially fun for its weapons that could level up with you. i think frogcomposband kinda stopped after its maintainer ragequit, but apparently its github still has recent commits. Hengband introduced a lot of neat ideas as a zangband variant, and has new version in the works (v3 in alpha) the past couple years. Looks like the latest crazy variant is that hengband touhou katte version but now renamed from a mod to a full variant, gensouband:

https://forum.angband.live/forum/angband/variants/10473-gensouband-2-0-released-touhou-hengband-changed-its-name
https://forum.angband.live/forum/angband/variants/10476-announce-english-translation-for-gensouband-v2-0-0
http://www.miyamasa.net/heng_th_katte.html (official page in japanese)

might have to try that in 2024

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Did they make Swamp harder since I last played Crawl? I keep getting pwned on like Swamp 1 on my favorite ever build and the only one I was ever actually good at, Vinestalker Berserker. Last run I had like +9 slaying but immediately got hookshotted off the stairs by one of those worms and a bunch of hydras and bog mummies beat my rear end in like 3 turns.

xIlluminatusx
Mar 4, 2012

Poppers posted:

Did they make Swamp harder since I last played Crawl? I keep getting pwned on like Swamp 1 on my favorite ever build and the only one I was ever actually good at, Vinestalker Berserker. Last run I had like +9 slaying but immediately got hookshotted off the stairs by one of those worms and a bunch of hydras and bog mummies beat my rear end in like 3 turns.

It seems like it. But last I played there was still food in the game. Been trying .31 and keep getting my rear end handed to me around lair and even orcish mines. Even when playing the MiBe and MiFi idiot proof setups.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Somehow have a +7 quick blade of electrocution on Lair 1 :staredog: Pray for me bros…

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Poppers posted:

Somehow have a +7 quick blade of electrocution on Lair 1 :staredog: Pray for me bros…

I have never survived a single run when I get a quick blade of distortion or electrocution. Good luck lol

----------------

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

drat, that sucks. Yeah actually I sent it. Fifteen runes too. Even fingerblasted a couple ziggurats for the hell of it. I shan’t be posting evidence. Goodbye.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

They nerfed Zin? :dafuq:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

balatro, the poker roguelike, is out now and on sale for $13.50. bought it mostly sight unseen based off the presentation and what a great concept it is and played just a little of it and can already tell how special it is

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Evil Eagle posted:

Golgotha is always, always a hosed-up surprise for first-timers lmfao

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Evil Eagle posted:

e: fuckle my shuckle

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

e: oh. oh god. oh dear god no.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Fungah! posted:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Fungah! posted:

Fungah!