Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Roguelikes ftmfw. ADOM got me through some hard times.

Roguelites are fine but they've gone too far. Something needs to be done about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the roguelike/lite I may have played the most other than Slay the Spire is probably IVAN. I used to keep it on a thumb drive so I could play it at school lol

I haven't played Qud yet, I've heard people mention it a ton though. might try it some time soon

I played IVAN a bunch but the way enemy spawns scale based on your gear just kills it for me, it sucks to finally get a good item and basically be punished for it.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I got the 32 heat statue then burned out. It kinda suffers by that point cause you've turned off so many options the deck building decision aspect fades away

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

welcome posted:

How's ADOM been since they started selling it? I only ever made it to the fire temple in 1.0, got a couple of mindcrafters killed in the Steam version but didn't get far.

It's easier than the pre 1.0 versions I used to play, especially with all the item suffixes and prefixes. And you won't immediately crash the game if a drakeling spits in the fire temple and the other weird bugs it used to have

Mindcrafter is a challenge class imo, no getting around it

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

I've never liked ADOM very much but it's been clicking with me recently. I'd like to break the game with a Wizard but I need to get one beyond level 10 first.

Elementalist is not as good overall i think but might be easier in the early game. But wizard is so sick once you get Acid Ball, I think I actually burned a wish on that spellbook on my winning wizard run

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Just kick the doors in diagonally this is day one stuff

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

TIL. is there anything in-game that indicates this behavior or is it yet another reason to be playing with the wiki open?

it's just kind of a common sense thing that the boulder that drops in front of the door won't hit you if you aren't in front of the door

there's also a less obvious thing that trapped doors have a slightly different message when kicked without breaking which might help future decision making

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Steam version isn't starting at all for me. Feels bad, I wanted to check out some of the new bullshit.

Anyway I usually just beelined for the Small Mountain Cave for reasons I can't clearly remember.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Nice! Keep your guard up but if you can handle the ToeF you should be able to coast for a while.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lol the minotaur maze. Back when I used to play a lot it was not even remotely worth doing, I dunno if it's been changed?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Human Farmer is ftw

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

welcome posted:

I win.

Game was pretty smooth sailing after ToeF, as P-Mack suggested. It was pretty smooth sailing before too, although if I didn't have Sun's Messenger I'd probably have died much earlier thanks to finding two other long bows all game lol. Almost got killed by the first three ultimate doppelgangers I met, then I wised up and started not fighting them. Don't know if gnomes really need the Book sign but Strength of Atlas and Teleportation were huge once I found em.

The big changes since 1.0.whatever are the random dungeons, the Rolf quest (which I locked myself out of before finding out about it), more artifacts, and more and WAY gentler corruptions. Poison hands and mana battery still both popped up but every new corruption I saw was almost entirely not worth removing, some were just pure positives without even appearance penalties.

Time to play something else I guess. Or fill up the high score list with human farmers...

Good poo poo, special congrats on remembering death ray resistance.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

If you haven't died from climbing stairs while severely burdened, have you really played adom

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

lots of bad luck today, my dudes getting killed by xl2 pit viper swarm traps and chaos mutants in the village dungeon. getting annoyed by the amount of clicking required to get through character creation.

Yeah I liked it when it was just race/class and out the door.

Dunno if it still works but there was a speed run strat where you held down a single key on game start and it would pick assassin, start the game, open the skill menu, open alchemy, attempt to mix whatever unmixable potion starts in that inventory slot, and then it explodes and kills you on turn 1.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

What else are you saving your wands of monster detection for

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

welcome posted:

Was it a vault or a tension room? You get level messages regardless but a tension room full of titans is a way nastier surprise lol. It wasn't the dwarven halls was it?

Generally if you can do all of Thrundarr's quests I think you should be able to make it down to the wall of flames. I usually do first three quests to get the wand and open the ogre cave stash, leave to do the pyramid and dwarf graveyard, then finish the last two. Lots of great treasure graves to rob in the graveyard if you've got undead slaying ammo/death ray resistance/don't give a drat.

Yeah that approach gets quite a few guaranteed artifacts too.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

it could've been the dwarven halls but I don't know. this was my first time going below dwarftown, I thought I was strong enough to explore. I'll check out those quests, I've got another dude back at dwarftown right now.

Okay always make sure it's not the dwarven halls cause that place will gently caress you up real fast

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Can you still just tunnel around the entire forest

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I could never really get into angband- something about not having any time pressure and no limit on how safe you can play just makes me feel like every death was avoidable, but not in a fun way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I found some really old build of doomrl on my hard drive so I was playing that yesterday. Died at The Wall, alas