Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Thinking bout Gungeon again. Also thinking about Alphaman but I always am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
How's ADOM been since they started selling it? I only ever made it to the fire temple in 1.0, got a couple of mindcrafters killed in the Steam version but didn't get far.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Trying ADOM 3.3.3 and forgot how much I hated traps in this game, love it when half my equipment just explodes.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Fungah! posted:

get a fireproof and waterproof blanket noob

Doesn't help against door runes, acid traps, your longbow of accuracy is torn to shreds.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Uh huh.
code:
######
....@+
######

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I'm just cranky cause my stuff keeps blowing up, I'm sick in the pyramid and there are mummies after me.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Fungah! posted:

drat you dont have an art weapon by the pyramid?

All I've found is the si. I've got huge stacks of slings and shortbows plus a bunch of decent swords for whenever I lose this sharpness one.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Vortex snuck up on my ill rear end in the big room. Easy come easy go!

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

b_d posted:

time to wade into the rogue like thread and complain about surprises edit: he made the drat thread.

Lol

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Made it to uh the mid game? (saved the sage, finished all Dwarftown quests) for the first time with this stack of characters. Feel like I'm doing a little better about not getting killed immediately nowadays, mostly by staying out of the puppy cave. On the other hand it's around slightly before this point each run where I realize that I don't know what the hell I'm doing this late in the game and it's a big rear end time investment to get here. On the third hand I'm sure glad I got precrowned with Nature's Companion.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Cleared ToeF for the first time, nerve-wracking as an archer with no rings of ice or good artifact melee weapons but I shot those fuckers to death. Then I found this whip in Darkforge, probably should have gone there first lol.

quote:

It is a dragon slayer.
It is an undead slayer.
It is an unlife slayer.
It is a humanoid slayer.
It is a giant slayer.
It is a demon slayer.
It is an insect slayer.
It is a plant slayer.
It is a jelly slayer.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Fungah! posted:

holy poo poo good work lol, thats where all my archer runs get pwned. cant believe you did it with no rings of ice, did you find an eternium bow or somethin

Oh I did have Sun's Messenger so that was covered lol, I was more worried about my ammo because as soon as I equipped my main stack of arrows they started blowing up every other turn. I wound up just dipping them in holy water 40 at a time and they held up better, took forever but it worked.

Don't know whether to keep going in the CoC or to do some of the optional dungeons, I was born under Book so I might try the Rift.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Fungah! posted:

rift is scary as poo poo, id say maybe save that for later. youre probably not gonna get a ton out of th sinister library anyway and the spellbook guardians can be poo poo like greater molochs or ancient dragons and thats ignoring just falling into the rift and losin 2/3 of your inventory

Well I did it anyway after doing the minotaur maze (barf), lost a phase dagger on the way in and all I got in return was the babbling corruption while waiting quietly in the library and a spellbook of acid ball that immediately burst into flames.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
The axe is supposedly better and the emperor randomly drops more stuff, dropped 4 potions of cure corruption for me. Still a miserable area.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Dwarfs of any class start with detect traps as well, probably a little easier to keep alive.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

P-Mack posted:

Human Farmer is ftw

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I win.

quote:

code:
He: uncursed helm of the Night Watchman [+0, +8] {Pe+4}              [100s]
Ne: uncursed amulet of death ray resistance                            [7s]
Bo: uncursed fine leather armor (named) (+2, +0) [+2, +8] (+15 spd)  [120s]
Gi: uncursed girdle of giant strength [+0, +0] {St+12}                [30s]
Cl: blessed hooded cloak [+3, +1]                                     [40s]
RH: blessed black whip of extinction (-4, 2d5)                        [15s]
LH: uncursed tower crystal shield [+16, +4]                          [260s]
RR: blessed ring of the master cat [+0, +5] {Dx+16} (+16 spd)          [1s]
LR: uncursed ring of slaying (+9 melee damage, +6 missile damage)      [1s]
Br: uncursed bracers of regeneration [+0, +0]                         [18s]
Ga: blessed gauntlets of strength (-1, +0) [-1, +1] {St+3}            [40s]
Bo: blessed seven league boots [+1, +0]                               [30s]
MW: blessed elven long bow (named) (+15, +15)                         [30s]
Mi: bundle of 944 blessed arrows (+0, 1d6)                          [1888s]
Tl: uncursed cornucopia {Ma+13}                                      [100s]

He was the champion of the arena.
He was a member of the thieves guild.
He made a little water dragon very happy.
He brought an infamous raider lord to justice.
He killed the emperor of the ancient minotaur race.
He defeated the arch enemy of a mighty karmic wyrm.
He adhered to the principles of the Cat Lord but fell from grace.
He saved Khelavaster from certain death.
He left the Drakalor Chain after completing his quest and became a great
leader and famous hero.
Game was pretty smooth sailing after ToeF, as P-Mack suggested. It was pretty smooth sailing before too, although if I didn't have Sun's Messenger I'd probably have died much earlier thanks to finding two other long bows all game lol. Almost got killed by the first three ultimate doppelgangers I met, then I wised up and started not fighting them. Don't know if gnomes really need the Book sign but Strength of Atlas and Teleportation were huge once I found em.

The big changes since 1.0.whatever are the random dungeons, the Rolf quest (which I locked myself out of before finding out about it), more artifacts, and more and WAY gentler corruptions. Poison hands and mana battery still both popped up but every new corruption I saw was almost entirely not worth removing, some were just pure positives without even appearance penalties.

Time to play something else I guess. Or fill up the high score list with human farmers...

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Well you're not getting anything as good as the heir gift early lol. I'd pick up a spear and shield and start using those, there's no penalty for cross training weapons and pole arms get good DV bonuses as they level. But that heir dagger is definitely worth playing a gnome and burning three talents to get.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

bees x1000 posted:

TIL

DAMMIT

Why stash elven chain mail, it weighs about as much as three slices of bread.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Doing the same start loop every game wears me out (Terinyo quests -> Holeinthewall kill + guild leader -> hope I don't get ambushed on my way to pop in and out of small cave -> start playing), especially when I get killed immediately after.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

bees x1000 posted:

edit:
I remembered that the game makes save backups and looked up how to use them. Back in the saddle.

edit edit
and a vault full of titans killed me very quickly

That's rough but lol.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Was it a vault or a tension room? You get level messages regardless but a tension room full of titans is a way nastier surprise lol. It wasn't the dwarven halls was it?

Generally if you can do all of Thrundarr's quests I think you should be able to make it down to the wall of flames. I usually do first three quests to get the wand and open the ogre cave stash, leave to do the pyramid and dwarf graveyard, then finish the last two. Lots of great treasure graves to rob in the graveyard if you've got undead slaying ammo/death ray resistance/don't give a drat.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I always try the halls first because the forest is the worst thing man has ever created.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Was thinking about picking up Ultimate ADOM, which is supposed to be really bad anyway, and then heard that the animated forest is still in it but now you can only move in four directions.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
You can but I'm usually out of gold by then thanks to breaking my pick axe a billion times in the big room.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
It does not. If you're messing with pools the "you feel controlled" message is for stun resistance, "feel like jumping around" is tele control. Dick game.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Also pools can remove intrinsics.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Trying to do the Rolf quest and uh this poo poo sucks. Got out finally but not sure how I'm supposed to get back in.
code:
............................====########################################
............................====#
............................====#
......T..............T......====#                                      #####
............................====#                          #########   #^^^#
.............T.............T=A==#                         ##..YY..Y##  #^#^#
............................====####+##+#####            ##Y.#Y#Y#YY## #^#.#
.....T......................====#......Y.Y..##############..Y.Y.YY...###^#^#
...........................=====..Y..Y..YY.YY#Y#Y#Y#Y#Y##......YYY.YYY##.###
.................T.........=====.....00YY....YYYYYYYY.YYYYYYY..YY....Y.(^#
....@....Y.................YY===/Y...0Y...YYYY.YYYYY.Y..YYYYYYY..Y..YY####
.....Y..YY......?......Y.Y.=====.Y........Y.##YYY#Y#Y#Y##.YY.Y.Y.YY..Y#
......G.Y...................====#...Y.Y.....####Y#*#######.Y.Y...Y..Y##
.........T..................==A=#*##+##Y#####   #Y#########YY#Y#.#.Y##
............................====#*##.*..#########*YY.YY.Y.Y#.Y..Y.Y##
............................====#*#..##.....(....##############Y######
...........T.......T........====#*..###..........#            #..Y..>#
............................==A=#...# #.....(....#            ########
............................====##### ############
............................====##########################################

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Stone statues, they spawn peacefully in the middle but turn hostile every time you pick something up, use an item, or cast a spell, and then new ones immediately spawn where they were standing. Luckily I'm a wizard who just gave Rolf my good weapon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Huzzah,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Kick rear end.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Beat Andor Drakan, went with a gray elf wizard after getting enough farmers killed to unlock the big temple and wound up just rolling over the whole game. Two cool new artifacts: unpick axe is guaranteed if you go through the huge trouble of unlocking Rolfs fortress, but it's a unbreakable pickaxe that can freaking create walls. Potion belt makes potions weightless, immune to destruction, and dippable in bigger stacks so you can get a lot of good poo poo from exchange potions.

Time for a break for real. This game has a lot of bs in it and it's really tedious in way too many places, but it feels like a grand adventure in a way that Nethack and Crawl don't quite get to.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Also ASCII ftw.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
It's adom_dat instead of adom_steam for the free version. Those statue messages would've been a big help lol.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Pos my Frogcom band.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Fell down the Angband hole. Found Forasgil at 350', looking forward to getting exploded by a chromatic yeek at 500' in ten to twelve hours.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I like the idea of an infinite big sprawling dungeon with a ton of stuff to pick up, in practice it's not so great filling up your inventory multiple times in a single level and trying to figure out what to leave behind forever. I think I'm about to hit the same wall I always do where the game really wants me to have certain abilities (right now, see invisible and confusion resistance?) and I'm going to get bored to death looking for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Obliterated in one turn by a greater basilisk at 1600'. Goodbye Angband.