Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
The tacit implication that Ox and Pig lust too strongly to be cowed by the Law, a principled yet wise people they must have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
derek got hosed by an ox again so we had to kill an unrelated sheep. yeah i'm not sure either

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

199. If anyone have intercourse with a pig or a dog, he shall die. If a man have intercourse with a horse or a mule, there is no punishment. But he shall not approach the king, and shall not become a priest. If an ox spring upon a man for intercourse, the ox shall die but the man shall not die. One sheep shall be fetched as a substitute for the man, and they shall kill it. If a pig spring upon a man for intercourse, there is no punishment. If any man have intercourse with a foreign woman and pick up this one, now that one, there is no punishment.

Followed by the final law, number 200, "Teachers shall be paid six coins." They must have had a sense of humor.

199 is interesting! It puts pigs and dogs in the same category. Unlike in Assyria, where the doctor-god had a dog's head (because dogs heal thyselves) in Hittite country dogs are dirty. Pigs of course will be later eschewed by other groups. 199 also makes me wonder if they could have used pigs LIKE dogs; they're plenty intelligent to do some dog work. But there's nothing to support that.

Note how it could have easily been written by multiple sequential authors. The fact it's a scatterbrained omnibus is a big clue this wasn't written down immediately after one legal case's solution. The sheep substitute shows language that'll be used again for Jesus.

The context for the ox and pig related ones: oxen and all bovines were divine to the Hittites, like many in the ANE. Pigs, kinda the opposite. Pigs' character was indescribably complex, but an association was the low one that'd lead to taboos.

You can see how 199 presages Canaanite divisionary thinking.

It feels much more grounded than later Hebrew moralistic laws or older Sumerian lists written, seemingly, on principles of exhaustive automaticity.

Perhaps the logic is that humans and equines are in the same group, but we're too high for pigs and too low for oxen.

Keep in mind these laws weren't always things that "mattered" to anyone.

Notice if you wanted to gently caress a pig, you have to read the law fairly close to make sure. Writing a law, then carving out an exception, it's reflective of a later more permissive thinker or the grouping of a slightly sophisticated set of beliefs around porcine erotics.

unrelated:

Mescal fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 9, 2023

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

(desperate) (sexually) (-making)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mescal posted:

(desperate) (sexually) (-making)

(?)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

how did anybody get anything done with their livestock constantly trying to gently caress em?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

P posted:

Exod 6 3 I revealed myself to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as Ēl Shaddāi, but was not known to them by my name, YHWH.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 9, 2024

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
gently caress sports teams, we need to bring back patron gods of cities.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Sucrose posted:

gently caress sports teams, we need to bring back patron gods of cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTHgWshDicU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
A vital highway overpass collapsed in Philadelphia this year. A truck accident. Somehow the government got it together and built a temporary bridge in under two weeks. When it was completed, the first to be sent over the span were all the Philadelphia sports mascots on the back of a fire truck.

Tell me that's not the most heathen Mesopotamian poo poo you've ever heard of

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

OH MY GOD in "art in the ancient world: a handbook" i found cow tools

Mescal fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 17, 2023

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

lets talk about 67. it's mythic, probably twin gods, they make you think of romulus and remus. they seem to be saying something about sacrifice and masculinity.

look at 66. you've got a seated king, holding a scroll (order) for the subject. Next, the subject is in the "ow my balls" posture, indicating castration. Then, after sunset, the ennobled peasant has become a eunuch priest, sacrificing one of abundant livestock.

tag yourself:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Who were the Philistines? Minoans? No. Minoan art has a detached savoir-faire, while Philistine art has this brash, indiscriminate loudness to it. What about Mycenaean, you say? Maybe!

Holy poo poo that's exactly the same!

(unrelated)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

:kstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Just a pole thing?