Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Maigius posted:

While watching, I was wondering if one or more of the vault modifiers gave a higher chance of ore spawning in the vault.

There's a couple of things you can do, but honestly if you're just vaulting as normal you'll get enough Black Opal to do what you need.

They just introduced a "Plunderer's Pearl" you can add to a vault crystal pretty cheaply that gives the vault 10% extra loot and 25% more vault ore generation but blocks XP gain. It's super helpful if you find yourself out-levelling the vaults and need a catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 27: I do some housekeeping

Honestly I'm not even done with my housekeeping, but this is a good start. Organizing my base a little more has been long overdue.

----------

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Seems like Vault hunters isnt immune to minecraft mod tedium bloat. Black opal just seems way too low drop rate for how much you need.
Does it eventually allow you to circumvent vaults for some materials?

If I really don't feel like dealing with vault crystals and the vault altar there is a setting to turn it off and just make crystals without material gathering, but actual crafting recipes aren't so lucky. However, as AceClown says, there is a Plunderer's Pearl that increases loot but I haven't unlocked it just yet. I'm busy getting my quests caught up though, so hopefully soon.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

FPzero posted:

Episode 27: I do some housekeeping

If I really don't feel like dealing with vault crystals and the vault altar there is a setting to turn it off and just make crystals without material gathering, but actual crafting recipes aren't so lucky. However, as AceClown says, there is a Plunderer's Pearl that increases loot but I haven't unlocked it just yet. I'm busy getting my quests caught up though, so hopefully soon.

you don't need to unlock it, if you have the materials you can just make one, you'll just need to make another when you get to that quest.

Also the setting "/gamerule questexpertmode true" is great, it makes it so you don't have to do the quests in the exact order, they just complete as you do them.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Oh hey that's a cool command to learn about. Though it sounds like a better choice for a second playthrough, once you know stuff and don't feel like redoing everything in order. Still, I might turn it on at some point so thanks!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 28: Odds and ends

This turned into housekeeping part 2 without really meaning to, but I built more of the trade hall, organized my jewels, made some new tools, and built a small basement. Not too shabby.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

FPzero posted:

Episode 28: Odds and ends

This turned into housekeeping part 2 without really meaning to, but I built more of the trade hall, organized my jewels, made some new tools, and built a small basement. Not too shabby.

Hey FP, watched the vid and wanted to let you know about the Item Quantity (IQ) Vs Item Rarity (IR) thing you weren't sure on because it's not very intuitive and trips a lot of new players up

The TLDR is that it is much better to have more IQ with a little bit of IR.

The reason is the way the vault loot is generated, lets say you have a wooden chest and as you open it it generates 4 x wood chunks, you'd think that having a higher IQ score would mean you get more wood chunks right? Nope.

The way IQ works is it's a % chance for additional chest slots to roll another loot generation.

So when that loot roll happens and you hit your IQ bonus it will generate a second slot of maybe some Vault Sweets. Then it will roll the 3rd slot and so on until the IQ roll fails.

OK so...

The way IR works is that it takes each chest slot that has generated loot and "rolls" it to see if the rarity jumps up to the next tier.

Therefore it's much better to have more slots with a normal and bonus chance to roll better loot than to just stack IR and hope to roll your rare items that way.

I don't know if that makes sense, I'm not a maths wizard or anything so I can't give examples, it's just a case of knowing the initial loot generation mechanics and applying that.

Source here is I had a couple of VH veterans in the official discord explain it to me one night.

Hope that helps!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That makes sense to me but I never would've realized that's how it works without your explanation. Thanks for that, I'll keep it in mind if I start adding those stats through jewels more.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 29: When Bees attack!

I accidentally deleted an episode's worth of footage when cleaning my LP folders. All that was lost was me doing a vault, coming out and trying to do another one, only to get stopped by needing Honey. I spent some time searching for Bees, found an old Jungle Temple instead, reveled in some nostalgia, then went on to find the Bees I needed.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 30: Double Vault!

Today we're taking on TWO vaults in ONE episode!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 31: Farewell for now

I've made the decision to end Vault Hunters for now. It's been feeling a bit repetitive lately and takes a fair bit of time to record + edit per episode. I think it'd be a game that's better suited to streaming with an audience I can interact with, but I need to do some PC upgrades, especially to my CPU, in order to make things more stable for streaming modded Minecraft. Therefore, Vault Hunters is going to be taking an indefinite hiatus, though I do intend to come back to it some time this year. To everyone that's been quietly watching along here, thanks for doing so! It really meant a lot to me.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Thanks for playing and taking us all along for the ride, FP!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks again--I'll definitely miss this series, but I'll be keeping an eye out for your streams. Please mention it in a channel update or in this thread!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I really enjoyed the videos! It got me to play some of VH for myself to see, even if it ended up that I enjoyed watching it more than playing it :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Thanks for the play through FP. I think your vids reinforced for me that Vault Hunters should really be played multiplayer. The pack is more balanced for multiplayer than for single player. I keep wanting to play it, but run afoul of the single player grind.