Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

so there’s this old bridge out in hickory, nc. the snow creek bridge it’s called. washed out in a bad storm back in 2013. hickory isn’t so great at being a functional municipality so everyone just kind of shrugged and left it looking like this for nearly a decade

the city never filed any kind of paperwork. the road never officially closed. so for just as many years all officially published map data continued to show it as a valid route

a valid route that google maps would gleefully suggest as the best way to get across town

should be an easy enough fix, right? well, people reported it for years and google did nothing. which is really confusing because their data center one town over in lenoir is a real important one for google maps. when you go through the entrance there’s this crazy hallway that’s completely wrapped in landsat visuals. it’s pretty neat

so yeah, this was a literally deadly maps issue in the literal back yard of google maps and google ignored all feedback for years. kept on trying to feed people to the bridge instead

took em awhile, but eventually they pulled it off. on september, 30th, 2022 a man named philip paxon was driving back home from celebrating his daughter’s ninth birthday. didn’t quite know the way, so he pulled up google maps and it sent him to his death

google maps still suggests the snow creek bridge as a valid route

TrashMammal fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

in the small town i grew up in if you got really high and did lsd you could drive to murder bridge and sometimes you could hear a woman cry way off in the distance woah

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i read about this in the news and they should rename it the darwin award bridge

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we have an unfinished road out past the interstate, and they put a simple barricade up so you don’t just blindly drive forward past the end at night

how is NC worse at roads than FL?

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
M a p q u e s t

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I hope the guy wins his lawsuit

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Bad Purchase posted:

we have an unfinished road out past the interstate, and they put a simple barricade up so you don’t just blindly drive forward past the end at night

how is NC worse at roads than FL?

the bridge is on private land. the city’s done all they can do, or at least that’s what they say

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
It's a valid route, he just wasn't going fast enough.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Schweinhund posted:

It's a valid route, he just wasn't going fast enough.

this is why no one likes engineers

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

https://www.crowdcontrolwarehouse.com/collections/concrete-jersey-barrier

Anyway when a local bridge got bad barriers were set up. There was a vote to pay to fund the bridge (and like 2 others) that past. There's now a new bridge. The end.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 23, 2023

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I loving love trains!

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

that's a poo poo situation with the road and that.

but i mean if you just follow google maps basically off a cliff then i dunno that's kind of on you i reckon

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

you have to wonder, what dark thing will awaken when the bridge has had enough? why is google so determined to make it happen?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

This seems more like an issue that the landowner/town/dot would be responsible for but I guess they don't have enough money, better sue google on a flimsy pretext and get our beloved family member's very dumb death plastered all over the internet

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Could they not at least put a few cones out or something. In the dark you could see that too late.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Jippa posted:

Could they not at least put a few cones out or something. In the dark you could see that too late.

Supposedly there had been some sort of barrier or signage but they were missing due to vandalism.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah OP it's clearly google's fault for not constantly keeping track of the state of every single road on earth, and not the fault of this municipality that knew it had a dangerously damaged road and not only refused to report it as such but also couldn't even be hosed to put out a single loving traffic cone

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 23, 2023

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Google knew about the problem for years and has done nothing. Do you think they have no responsibility here?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the board should be compelled to drive across it until enough wreckage fills it and they can just pave over

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Blame lies with the parents of whoever built that bridge

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

No. 6 posted:

Google knew about the problem for years and has done nothing. Do you think they have no responsibility here?

Google receiving reports != google knowing there's a real problem. I could make a report every week that the road near my place is broken, doesn't mean it is. They'd have to investigate and confirm. The responsibility lies on the town's leadership, who, according to OP, were reporting the whole time that the road is fine.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I could sink a few unmovable concrete posts in front of that son of a bitch for about 200 bucks.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Reading into it a bit it seems like the town says they are absolved of responsibility because the road was made by a private development company (which is now defunct) and they never formally turned over...ownership? to the state/town.

Which seems like a pretty flimsy defense lol.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
This is some great Twitter bait, if you make a post it would get good traction if it gets recommended. Basically put the first line and the part where the guy died.
I been reading a lot of Twitter lately ok

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

It was at night so I don't know how much you can blame the guy for not seeing it, but do whatever makes you feel good I guess

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
he probably just wasn't going fast enough

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jeep Gladiator lol, sounds about right.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
There's two initially parallel roads near my grandma's house , one of which is a seasonal dirt road that's a useful shortcut between two tourist towns. The order is paved and ends as a boat ramp into a lake.

More than once, late at night, people have turned 200' too early or too late and driven on a nice smooth asphalt road strait into the lake.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 23, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Death bridge is a 2/5 album, not literally the worst in genre, but disappointing to everyone involved

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

in any sane country there would be an expectation for the local government to provide a solution here

a quick google (lol) search shows that you can get 32 of these loving things for like $600. That’s all they needed to do to prevent this!

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

It’s weird because the light from the meth trailers exploding and burning crosses every ten feet should’ve let him see the road easily

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Devils Affricate posted:

Google receiving reports != google knowing there's a real problem. I could make a report every week that the road near my place is broken, doesn't mean it is. They'd have to investigate and confirm. The responsibility lies on the town's leadership, who, according to OP, were reporting the whole time that the road is fine.

You're right. It's better to do nothing.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Henry Lee Mucus posted:

It’s weird because the light from the meth trailers exploding and burning crosses every ten feet should’ve let him see the road easily

yeah something's up, there's more to the story i bet

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Everyone knows if you wanna jump a dry river bed you hit the gas, honk your horn that plays Dixie, and yell YEEEEHAAAWWWWW

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Google Death Bridge - Fascinating Horror (short documentary)

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
When I first read this, I thought he was just a moron that decided to follow the GPS to his death like a lemming, but if it was dark out and there’s no barrier it’s possible he just drove straight off the bridge to his icy death.

Eagerly awaiting the update to Google’s terms of service where I agree not to drive off any bridges even if Google tells me I should.

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!

Snowy posted:

Everyone knows if you wanna jump a dry river bed you hit the gas, honk your horn that plays Dixie, and yell YEEEEHAAAWWWWW

**Plunges the General Lee off a cliff into icy water, Bo and Luke drown, Daisy hires a lawyer. Roll credits**

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I hate driving through NC, it feels like every single piece of interstate is under construction, over budget, and behind schedule all the time and NC drivers are aggressive maniacs. Getting flipped off because I'm only doing 15 over the speed limit in the right hand lane is not something that has happened to me in any other state but it's happened in NC more than once. Thank god I only have to drive through it once every few years.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

This

Dick Fontaine posted:

google maps still suggests the snow creek bridge as a valid route

Vs

This

drat the future is lame as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

He probably tried to opt out of targeted advertising and Google took revenge.