Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

flubber nuts posted:

every city should have a death bridge.

any bridge can be a death bridge with the right attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

If it was a private road as part of some group title subdivison or HOA, the city probably would need written consent from the rightful owner before they could place structures.

why would they need to "place structures" on the property? like even running some caution tape across the road and putting a bunch of traffic cones and a couple barriers out - before the property line - could have prevented something like this. none of that stuff need to be like, built.

Poohs Packin posted:

In any case I feel bad for this family, but its telling that theyre going after Google. Theyve likely explored other legal options and found dead ends (whoops).

that or they are simply going after the party that actually has money, which is more likely to be a multinational corporation than a town that can't even afford a few traffic cones.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Even if it was a private thing the city had options up to and including actually putting a barricade up and then harassing the absolute poo poo out of whatever private owner crawls out of the woodwork to complain about it.

Like 99% of the time when poo poo like that happens the first legal thing that occurs is "Please remove this, thanks" since no one wants to deal with a lawsuit over poo poo like that.

Also if they did end up removing it and then someone died they can point their finger at whatever private owner had the legal right to tell them to move it.

I'll take my 50,000 dollar consulting fee.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Are we clear there was no barrier before this bridge?

Just a road leading right off the broken bridge, no obstruction at all?

It seems hard to believe.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Earwicker posted:

why would they need to "place structures" on the property? like even running some caution tape across the road and putting a bunch of traffic cones out - before the property line - could have prevented something like this.

Im guessing this was a several acres lot serviced by a private road. A city cant just walk on to land they dont own and place signs or cones.

It would be like you walking on to a paved footpath on your neighbors land with a spray can marking uneven pavers. It wouldnt go well.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Poohs Packin posted:

Im guessing this was a several acres lot serviced by a private road. A city cant just walk on to land they dont own and place signs or cones.

It would be like you walking on to a paved footpath on your neighbors land with a spray can marking uneven pavers. It wouldnt go well.

Whose gonna sue em? No one's claiming the land.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Earwicker posted:

it was night and raining so it was probably hard to see the dropoff and there were no barriers or signs or anything indicating the bridge was out

like of all the people at fault here the guy who died is the least at fault. really the main culprit is the city for not at least throwing up a simple barricade.

The man had a responsibility to operate his automobile with care and attention.

If he couldn’t stop for a rather large hole in the road, would he have stopped for a small child in the street?

I think not.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Who killed the birthday dad?
And why should I feel so sad?

Not me said the land owner man, fixin this bridge aint my plan
I'm sorry he drove into a creek
But a lawsuit you cannot seek
Don't say negligence, don't say kill
Just ask google to pay the bill

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Telsa Cola posted:

Even if it was a private thing the city had options up to and including actually putting a barricade up.

They probably didnt though. I could direct you to the landmark case my land v. your land.

Its a big deal in the US.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

the thread wherein we learn which goons are for the spirit of the law, and which are for the letter, and which are probably landlords

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Telsa Cola posted:

Whose gonna sue em? No one's claiming the land.

The land will be registered on a title somewhere. There isnt really any unowned land just sitting out there.

But it would be akin to a driveway maintenance issue.

They could absolutely go after the city for trespassing. Im also going to guess that trespassing in NC is largely frowned upon and whoever is running the skeleton crew down at city hall is a big "small government" type.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

And not me said Hickory's mayor
Although he is in our prayers
We couldn't put up a barricade
Only commies want eminent domain

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Poohs Packin posted:

They could absolutely go after the city for trespassing.

Yeah, and at most they can recoup the cost of the barrier removal.

Cities are like corporations, in that they have neither bodies to be punished, nor souls to be condemned.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
That's what you get for leaving your house! He should have just stayed home and played video games.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its less about the legal consequences the city would face and more their willingness to trespass on private land for some sort of public good (this guy not dying).

Having dealt with a lot of rural municipities, they follow the rules of inertia. They are legally empowered to do jack poo poo in a lot of situations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Writing a heavy metal song named "GOOGLE'S DEATH BRIDGE"

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Boston for some godforsaken reason still has some privately owned streets. I broke my muffler recently on one of them because they're unmaintained and basically dirt with massive potholes. :argh:

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Bouillon Rube posted:

any bridge can be a death bridge with the right attitude.

with nearly 231,000 bridges in america in need of repair work id say were probably pretty close to a death bridge in every city. another usa success story! :patriot:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pekinduck posted:

Boston for some godforsaken reason still has some privately owned streets. I broke my muffler recently on one of them because they're unmaintained and basically dirt with massive potholes. :argh:

Boston is a quilt of different organizations controlling the streets, it's amazing. I delved into the intricacies of it back in 2003 or so. Like the folks who run the Esplanade run a bunch of big streets too. And it goes on and on.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

If Google told you to drive off a bridge would you do it? Eat your peas.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

I'll suck you off under the Death Bridge for $10. Drove off the bridge to your death? I'll suck your corpse for free.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Lol nvm

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 24, 2023

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

redshirt posted:

Boston is a quilt of different organizations controlling the streets, it's amazing. I delved into the intricacies of it back in 2003 or so. Like the folks who run the Esplanade run a bunch of big streets too. And it goes on and on.

If you have any neat data still around I'd love to see it. I remember the Boston globe did an article about people who got parking tickets they felt were unfair and couldn't figure out how to appeal them. The globe figured out they weren't issued by the city of Boston but by whatever corporation/nonprofit/trust/mafia family owned the street and they had no way to legally compel you to actually pay.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pekinduck posted:

If you have any neat data still around I'd love to see it. I remember the Boston globe did an article about people who got parking tickets they felt were unfair and couldn't figure out how to appeal them. The globe figured out they weren't issued by the city of Boston but by whatever corporation/nonprofit/trust/mafia family owned the street and they had no way to legally compel you to actually pay.

I sure don't. I worked with this guy in the BTD (Boston Transportation Department) and they controlled many streets in the city. I got a traffic light changed and it helped clear a traffic jam in the morning off Storrow.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Watch goons find out he was driving a Tesla.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DEATH BRIDGE!

DEATH BRIDGE!

*Furious guitar noises

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Tourists keep following GPS off a boat ramp into a harbor over here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KskxKxtogEU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Poohs Packin posted:

Watch goons find out he was driving a Tesla.

I think Tesla’s use Google maps, not sure if they use their directions/traffic api’s though.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Should have bought a squirrel

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Tokelau All Star posted:

people make fun of the AI in cyperpunk, but actually it's very realistic
https://clips.twitch.tv/GorgeousDifferentVanillaDAESuppy-seLnfE9vktah9tMG

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

If a guy is telling me where to drive, and it's a route that I'm taking because he's suggesting it. Then we get into some backroad two track and he's like it's fine just keep driving this way and it falls off a cliff. The navigator is to blame. I'd not have taken that route if someone else wasn't telling me to.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

guy should've used netscape for directions

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
*pats broken bridge*

"You could fit 20, maybe 30 corpses in this fella"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nooner posted:

Why would you drive over the bridge that clearly doesn't exist?

What's with all the cowards in this thread who keep on saying this? You just gotta have faith and nerves of steel! IF Indian Jones had been like you cowards he never would of found the Holy Grail! Be like Indy and not the cowards you are. If you come across a bridge that isn't there just cross the sucker and find that Holy Grail!

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Tokelau All Star posted:

lol @ "I thought it was a puddle"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nooner posted:

Why would you drive over the bridge that clearly doesn't exist?

He was driving a Jeep. Jeeps want only one thing - to flip over and have their wheels pointing at the sky. The Jeep probably took control at the last minute so it could achieve its natural resting state.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
This is why you always put a plyboard and four cement blocks in your trunk so you can make an ad hoc sick jump when you need it. Other people can ramp off it afterwards. The world's first Stranding Type Bridge

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

redshirt posted:

Are we clear there was no barrier before this bridge?

Just a road leading right off the broken bridge, no obstruction at all?

It seems hard to believe.

If you told me there was a mass electrocution at a sex carnival in Ohio today, I'd have to believe u. This is America , buddy. It happens every day.

Anyone remember when the GPS device used to say the street's name? Its bad it doesn't do that anymore.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

r.i.p. those poor sex clowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I'm a Puma Man and can see in the dark, as well as sense danger - I would not have driven off the bridge.