Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Dick Fontaine posted:

the bridge is on private land. the city’s done all they can do, or at least that’s what they say

So why doesn’t the city put up some ROAD CLOSED or barricades where the private road begins then?

IMO, as blind as you’d have to be to not notice that that bridge is out, this is kind of inexcusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

redshirt posted:

Writing a heavy metal song named "GOOGLE'S DEATH BRIDGE"

if the thing is ever rebuilt, there should be a gnarly wrought-iron portal sign above on both sides bearing that text.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Lucky google, why does it get a death bridge? No fair, I want a death bridge named after me!!!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Who pays the taxes for the land and when was the last time they got paid? If the developer is defunct then the taxes probably arent up to date

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

mst4k posted:

in the small town i grew up in if you got really high and did lsd you could drive to murder bridge and sometimes you could hear a woman cry way off in the distance woah

same, but fart instead of cry. also it was called fart bridge

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I had not.

Now I wonder who has gotten more people killed, google maps or old apple maps.

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games
So this one freaks me out because it's so relatable. You move to a new area so you're not familiar with the roads, your driving home in the dark of night, Google has you turn, you're driving at a nice speed, no traffic, you feel some bumps as you drive onto the bridge, then OH poo poo W HAT THE gently caress *crunch* oh gently caress water is coming in, oh I ... think I'm bleeding... my head hurts just need to rest for a second ... DEAD

Like, haha gently caress you from the universe, screw your family

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Tragicomic posted:

So this one freaks me out because it's so relatable. You move to a new area so you're not familiar with the roads, your driving home in the dark of night, Google has you turn, you're driving at a nice speed, no traffic, you feel some bumps as you drive onto the bridge, then OH poo poo W HAT THE gently caress *crunch* oh gently caress water is coming in, oh I ... think I'm bleeding... my head hurts just need to rest for a second ... DEAD

Like, haha gently caress you from the universe, screw your family

You should not drive faster than you can identify and react to things that appear in your headlights tbh

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Loden Taylor posted:

sucking dick beneath the Death Bridge [AMA]

What do your Google(tm) reviews look like?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

smh everyone an expert on not driving off a bridge all of a sudden

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games

500excf type r posted:

You should not drive faster than you can identify and react to things that appear in your headlights tbh

When driving at night, my eyes would be focused on what's ahead of me and watching for deer. Looking at the photos, it's clear that a reasonable person would not be able to identify the lack of a bridge as different from the dark ravine and so would naturally assume the road was safe.

You want to think this couldn't happen to you but it could.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The plan is to have enough cars drive into it to naturally fill the valley, eliminating the need for a costly bridge

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Tragicomic posted:

When driving at night, my eyes would be focused on what's ahead of me and watching for deer. Looking at the photos, it's clear that a reasonable person would not be able to identify the lack of a bridge as different from the dark ravine and so would naturally assume the road was safe.

You want to think this couldn't happen to you but it could.

If you cannot identify and react to something as it appears in the beams of your headlights then you are driving too fast. That's just how it works, whether you like it or not.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

500excf type r posted:

True but a brief gap to oblivion in an otherwise contiguous path isn’t as easy to identify as a hazard as like a deer or a sharp turn. I can easily see somebody mistaking it for a puddle or dark patch of sediment on the road, especially if it’s otherwise not raining and there is zero indication of a hazard from signage etc.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Even if he was able to have the reaction times necessary to go “oh poo poo suddenly no road”, he shouldn’t have been directed to the road in the first place.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Bad Purchase posted:

we have an unfinished road out past the interstate, and they put a simple barricade up so you don’t just blindly drive forward past the end at night

how is NC worse at roads than FL?

we only pave a specific triangle if its one step outside that triangle its garbage

im originally from ca and cal trans should be the standard everywhere. they grated a high way in my town to repave it and it took them 3 months to repave it. no rain at all

redshirt posted:

Are we clear there was no barrier before this bridge?

Just a road leading right off the broken bridge, no obstruction at all?

It seems hard to believe.

100% in brand with parts of nc. outside the triangle noone has money for poo poo. the state also owns all the highways and your county / city probably embezzeled all the cash for the roads that arent highways.

snergle fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 24, 2023

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

teen witch posted:

Even if he was able to have the reaction times necessary to go “oh poo poo suddenly no road”, he shouldn’t have been directed to the road in the first place.

It's not Googles fault! The council did NOTHING to mark the bridge as out or to put any kind of warning signs up whatsoever.

"Negligent Council Causes Fatal Accident" is a headline for a local paper but for it to make it here the person that wrote the article had the good sense to write it as a "stupid people or crazy tech?" story.

Even just after the accident the only warning you'd see leading up to it were the memorial flowers.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's not Googles fault! The council did NOTHING to mark the bridge as out or to put any kind of warning signs up whatsoever.

"Negligent Council Causes Fatal Accident" is a headline for a local paper but for it to make it here the person that wrote the article had the good sense to write it as a "stupid people or crazy tech?" story.

Even just after the accident the only warning you'd see leading up to it were the memorial flowers.

It was partially Googles fault, they ignored changes requested by users informing them of the bridge being out, even after the guy died. Not entirely their fault, but they have something to answer for, even if it was on an error in judgement.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i dont get why google didn't just update the map to show there's a new bridge there so people can drive over it? it's like two clicks to place a new bridge.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It should not matter what a map says. Bridges wash out all the time. It is the responsibility of local authorities to mark that the bridge is out and provide enough warnings/barriers to stop people from driving over it.

Should they have a better system for updating things? Yeah. But they're not responsible in any way for the accident.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

It should not matter what a map says. Bridges wash out all the time. It is the responsibility of local authorities to mark that the bridge is out and provide enough warnings/barriers to stop people from driving over it.

Should they have a better system for updating things? Yeah. But they're not responsible in any way for the accident.

The local authorities say they have no authority to do that because the land/road/bridge is private property

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

500excf type r posted:

The local authorities say they have no authority to do that because the land/road/bridge is private property

Oh ok then find and replace council with HOA or whoever owns the bridge. Where ever the responsibility lies, it's not with the map maker.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

500excf type r posted:

That I think is what is more concerning than Google’s role in this, the municipality’s utter abdication of responsibility.

“Look the Target is on fire but we’re supposed to put it out? They own the property!”

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

It's the driver's fault for doing 80 with his eyes closed while listening to "Dragula"

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
A couple of years ago my family and I did a driving holiday of Tasmania. We were driving to some tourist destination in the far north of Tassie and following Google Maps directions. The roads became more and more dilapidated until they got to the point they should have only been driving by experienced 4WD drivers in 4WD cars (which we were not). We very nearly could have gotten stuck multiple times and were lucky to get out. We had to turn back on ourselves to try and find a main road again. Not once did Google indicate there was an issue, even roads with like a 45 degree angle lol

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Oh ok then find and replace council with HOA or whoever owns the bridge. Where ever the responsibility lies, it's not with the map maker.

The developer(s) for that neighborhood are defunct and no longer exist lol

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
:negative:

Then America is to blame. Case closed.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

500excf type r posted:

It connects to public roads. The obstacles/signs go up at the edge of the public road.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hold up. Has anyone blamed the daughter yet? It was her birthday.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

What do your Google(tm) reviews look like?

not great, people get really hung up on the death bridge part. I get a sentence or two and then they rant about the bridge for the rest of it so I'm at like 1.5 stars

ElectricWatermelon
Jan 8, 2020

I live near Hickory and I've never heard about this.
Or I did and forgot. It's been a long year.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

redshirt posted:

It connects to public roads. The obstacles/signs go up at the edge of the public road.

I don't think this is allowed tbh

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

500excf type r posted:

I don't think this is allowed tbh

Why the heck not? A bridge is out. The road is not usable. Connects to a public road.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

redshirt posted:

Why the heck not? A bridge is out. The road is not usable. Connects to a public road.

I don't think municipalities can just go around blocking private roads that have legal rights of way

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

500excf type r posted:

I don't think municipalities can just go around blocking private roads that have legal rights of way

Agree to disagree on that one friend.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

redshirt posted:

Agree to disagree on that one friend.

The people that live in the neighborhood have a legal right of access to the public roads that the municipality cannot legally impede

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

500excf type r posted:

The developer(s) for that neighborhood are defunct and no longer exist lol

find who the developer was and make them drive off the death bridge

500excf type r posted:

The people that live in the neighborhood have a legal right of access to the public roads that the municipality cannot legally impede

sorry, who lives underneath the death bridge again? are they gonna cry because their easy food source dried up?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

dervival posted:

find who the developer was and make them drive off the death bridge

sorry, who lives underneath the death bridge again? are they gonna cry because their easy food source dried up?

the bridge is on a patch of privately owned land directly connected to privately owned roads that are also connected to people's houses or whatever. the city can't block the access to the private roads entirely

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
anyway I think both the county and city are to blame because they should have realized quickly there was a death trap in their area and attempted to find the owners. when they couldn't find them they should have spent the money for some loving wood barriers to make it safer regardless. even if it had to be off books. leaving a death trap on a publicly accessible private road because :shrug: not my authority is poo poo civic policy from a human standpoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

AARD VARKMAN posted:

anyway I think both the county and city are to blame because they should have realized quickly there was a death trap in their area and attempted to find the owners. when they couldn't find them they should have spent the money for some loving wood barriers to make it safer regardless. even if it had to be off books. leaving a death trap on a publicly accessible private road because :shrug: not my authority is poo poo civic policy from a human standpoint

the local government knows exactly who is responsible for it based on tax bills. If those bills haven't been paid, then the local government owns it. Its a real easy situation to figure out but I don't know anyone wants to volunteer to be responsible