Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

500excf type r posted:

the local government knows exactly who is responsible for it based on tax bills. If those bills haven't been paid, then the local government owns it. Its a real easy situation to figure out but I don't know anyone wants to volunteer to be responsible

I'm going to say there are likely just a few omitted steps in the part I bolded

But I after generally that a municipality has a responsibility for deathtraps inside their borders even on private property and especially if any idiot can easily drive there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

maybealabia posted:

I'm going to say there are likely just a few omitted steps in the part I bolded

But I after generally that a municipality has a responsibility for deathtraps inside their borders even on private property and especially if any idiot can easily drive there

its a simplification but if the taxes arent paid, and there is no one that exists to pay them, the land doesn't just get to exist in limbo as some unclaimable territory

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

500excf type r posted:

its a simplification but if the taxes arent paid, and there is no one that exists to pay them, the land doesn't just get to exist in limbo as some unclaimable territory

Oh for sure I'm just saying that poo poo takes months or years and they shouldn't just throw up their hands in the meantime

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
You have a lot of faith in local property laws

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

maybealabia posted:

Oh for sure I'm just saying that poo poo takes months or years and they shouldn't just throw up their hands in the meantime

absolutely, its a long process but the process should have started and ended a long time ago.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

500excf type r posted:

The developer(s) for that neighborhood are defunct and no longer exist lol

there is a property manager and his companies that have been named in the lawsuit just filed so I think they have an idea of who is ultimately responsible for the land and bridge now

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Ror posted:

there is a property manager and his companies that have been named in the lawsuit just filed so I think they have an idea of who is ultimately responsible for the land and bridge now

i hope the m night shyamalan twist is that it is the ceo of google

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

AARD VARKMAN posted:

You have a lot of faith in local property laws

More like I assume local bureaucracy moves at the speed of molasses in winter

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

maybealabia posted:

Unless that molasses was in a giant vat on January 15, 1919

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Grey Cat posted:

Unless that molasses was in a giant vat on January 15, 1919

Sometimes it be like that, yeah

LOL

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

maybealabia posted:

I meant that I could completely believe in a poo poo municipality in NC having poorly written property laws leaving the bridge in permanent limbo lol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
This is all Dick Fontaine's fault.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

we simply cant do a thing about the stationary razor wire tornado. sure its basically right in the middle of the baby goat petting zoo, but that specific 10' x 10' plot is privately owned. please consider the legal repercussions to us if the owner was blocked access to their stationary razor wire tornado.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

500excf type r posted:

Theres usually some legal or commercial impetus for the city to acquire the land. They usually have long term plans for land acqusition and its tied to budget.

There is no great incentive for a city to acquire a damaged bridge on a private road. This would be a legal and financial liability which could impede their ability to offer other public goods (fire, for example). The city then would have to reconstruct the bridge, and possibly roads, footpaths, verge treatments, gutters, etc. Then they would be responsible for maintaining it, forever.

They would need the HOA to agree to the purchase first, which would likely reduce overall value of the land (by reducing its size). Bisecting land with a public road reduces future development opportunity in alot of cases.

This money would also likely go to an HOA, assuming this entity even exists, and individual owners likely wouldnt see a dime and be subject to years of public road works on their previously quiet road.

The city shouldve identified the road as a "rat run" and placed signage at the connection to the public road

"Private Road"

"No Thru Way"

"Bridge out",

Etc.

Thats probably about all they can do. Its a sticky problem for sure.

Oh and lets remember most cities cant even be arsed to maintain public bridges let alone acquire new trunk infrastructure.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

in conclusion, quite like america’s gun problem, death bridges are an unsolvable phenomenon and it’s best not even trying

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Dick Fontaine posted:

in conclusion, quite like america’s gun problem, death bridges are an unsolvable phenomenon and it’s best not even trying

No, its just more complex and politically difficult than CITY FIX BRIDGE PLZ.

The fact that the developer doesnt exist anymore (under the same name) could be meaningless in a case of gross negligence. This is an absentee landlord problem more than anything. Someone holds the title, somewhere.

There are three other defendants listed in the suit. One has a website:

https://hinckleygauvain.com/

I just think its interesting that GBS, being chronically and justifiably anti-landlord and anti-HOA has centered its discussion around what the city shouldve done.

The city had limited ability to fix this.

Theyre also at the behest of large developers who want to land bank, which may be what was going on here.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

in conclusion, quite like america’s gun problem, death bridges are a complex and politically difficult pickle

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Tyvm.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I meant that I could completely believe in a poo poo municipality in NC having poorly written property laws leaving the bridge in permanent limbo lol

Oh yeah

Property laws so bad they won't even seize private property when they obviously should

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DEATH BRIDGE!!!

GOOGLE DEATH BRIDGE!!!!

*furious guitar thrashing

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Poohs Packin posted:

I just think its interesting that GBS, being chronically and justifiably anti-landlord and anti-HOA has centered its discussion around what the city shouldve done.

Theyre also at the behest of large developers who want to land bank, which may be what was going on here.

Everyone here knows this, the lawsuit is suing those people because yes it was their responsibility. I am coming at this from the perspective that if I lived in a city that spent 10 years letting a deathtrap road exist without even a wooden barrier because "landlord's responsibility :shrug:" then I would be loving pissed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Park some junk cars across the roadway to block it. What are they going to do, tow them?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

maybealabia posted:

I feel super lovely for what happened to this guy and his family as a result.

Also, as a Long Term Dumbass, I have come very close to doing poo poo almost this deadly without any help from a homicidal GPS, and generally think that people should use their eyes to assess roadway conditions and not drive faster than you have stopping distance for. If there's a loving 10 year death trap on a road then that's a failing on behalf of the relevant highway authority as well as, to some extent, the map apps. But if you accept "hey cars are stupid dangerous and take distance to stop, so, I should know how long it takes my car to stop and not drive off a broken bridge" then maybe you could avoid things like this and also things like random deer that fall out of the sky, drunken drivers in your lane, and all the other dumb poo poo that's (through luck) not quite killed me in the last 20 years.

Poohs Packin posted:

Did the city have a limited ability to post "UNSAFE ROADWAY, BRIDGE OUT" signs for 3 miles and then put traffic-stop barricades up? If so, then that also sounds pretty loving stupid.

I hate tech as much as anymore (more, probably) but also, it seems like:
* an unsafe condition existed inside a US town for a long time and still does
* Google could have removed the route, and didn't
* the driver could have driven in a way that let them assess the condition of a roadway they had clearly never driven on, and didn't

so I mean, yeah, there's some nuance here because there's 3 different parties who all could have taken some action that would have prevented this.

I'm more curious: will another car fall to its death before this thread is closed or archived? It's already been almost a year since the Killer Road Ate a Man, and per the OP, Killer Road still exists?

Maybe we should just admit defeat, honestly. Or make Killer Roads a known and exciting features of US highways which attracts the sort of tourist who find the Autobahn too slow and F1 too closed course. Vermont is big on covered bridges; we could lower them all 2' and also put 20,000 lb test wire bracing through them, 2' lower than the new 2' lower roofs. Just total Chaos World, make Motorcycling into a sort of limbo event.

If you vote for Biden, I promise to accept it if he makes me head of the NTSB

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 25, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you can pry my death bridge from my cold dead hands

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You all should look up videos of people driving on the highway overpass that caught fire in Philadelphia earlier this year. There were people driving over it seconds before it collapsed.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

hard pass on that one

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I tried using Google maps to navigate between two points on opposite ends of the bridge, and it did not recommend driving over the death bridge, so mission accomplished.

As of yesterday, street view still let you go down the road and across the perfectly fine bridge. It doesn't let you go on that road anymore today though. :tinfoil:

Hopefully Google sends another car out to take some updated pictures soon.

Some poor street view driver following a pre-determined route is going to be the first to discover the next death bridge, aren't they.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Hopefully a Tesla finds it next while some asshat is sleep driving

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

maybealabia posted:

Hopefully a Tesla finds it next while some asshat is sleep driving

if enough wedge shaped cybertrucks do the same, they might eventually form a viable road surface only needing of a layer of tarmac added on top for traction.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

just ask elon to fix it, he loves throwing money into holes

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Nature is healing

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
and the ground shall rise up and eat the cars, and the whales shall rise up and sink the fleets

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Look I think you we can all agree whenever there is a situation that requires someone to be blamed and there's a dead person involved, you just blame the dead person right?

Like that's just common sense.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

YoursTruly posted:

Some poor street view driver following a pre-determined route is going to be the first to discover the next death bridge, aren't they.

lol no

Many rural roads were last photographed by Google over ten years ago.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Has anyone done a The Hills Have Eyes type movie where their GPS accidentally leads them into the South?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Has anyone done a The Hills Have Eyes type movie where their GPS accidentally leads them into the South?

Collateral advertising paid for by the Hungrybois of FAMILYVILLE

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Funky See Funky Do posted:

they would be safe from the death bridge, as that is in hickory. the cannibal hill people don’t start until you get up into the unincorporated areas past lenoir

fun fact: due north from the death bridge, just before you get to the cannibal hill people, there is a delightful gay campground that i assume must be protected by powerful sorceries on account of how none of the locals seems to know about it

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So haven't checked in on this thread for a few hours. Has Google's Death Bridge claimed any more innocent victims in it's insatiable search for innocent blood?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

dr_rat posted:

So haven't checked in on this thread for a few hours. Has Google's Death Bridge claimed any more innocent victims in it's insatiable search for innocent blood?

it appears that google’s death bridge is now operating at scale. imagine all the time you’ve wasted thinking about it. you’re never getting that back, and you’re far from the only one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dick Fontaine posted:

it appears that google’s death bridge is now operating at scale. imagine all the time you’ve wasted thinking about it. you’re never getting that back, and you’re far from the only one

Eh, if I hadn't been thinking of the Google Death Bridge I would of just been wasting my time thinking of some other corporations death bridge.