Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Stellaris profited enormously from it's modding scene, with the Star Trek total conversion being among the standouts. It would have made no sense to not embrace the modding scene for the official Star Trek Stellaris clone. Unless some idiot corporate execs got in the way, but it seems like Paramount restrained themselves to minor poo poo like not granting the use of iconic Trek sound effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

the games audio is bereft of soul in all aspects imo

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Agreed, Paramount not giving them use of the sound library was a weird and lovely decision.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Someone will certainly mod in the classic sounds, if they haven’t already.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

There's already a weapon fx mod, not sure it tackles the sound.

The only aspect of the game I really dislike is the random techs, I've been stuck without good fleet commands for ages so I'm sort of permanently stuck with tiny fleets. It doesn't feel like there's any agency or choice so I just stuck them on auto priority and promptly forgot about them.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Flipswitch posted:

There's already a weapon fx mod, not sure it tackles the sound.

The only aspect of the game I really dislike is the random techs, I've been stuck without good fleet commands for ages so I'm sort of permanently stuck with tiny fleets. It doesn't feel like there's any agency or choice so I just stuck them on auto priority and promptly forgot about them.

The traits of the scientist will influence the rolls. So to maximize the chances of command techs showing up, you need a scientist specialized in whatever the appropriate thing is for command.

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023
How tough is the game to get into compared to Stellaris? I own Stellaris but only played a couple hours or so but I want to give ST:I because I love the universe.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

slandergoose posted:

How tough is the game to get into compared to Stellaris? I own Stellaris but only played a couple hours or so but I want to give ST:I because I love the universe.

I'd say it's easier. Much less emphasis on war, and more focus on exploration, diplomacy and espionage. There are still wars, but galactic tension limits how many systems you can take. So at 0% tension, you can only grab 3 systems every 10 years. If tension gets high then it adds another +2 claims per level of tension. A lot of stuff is explained in tool tips, so you just need to get into the habit of mousing over stuff and reading what it does.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I didn't find it too terrible, and I've never played Stellaris. The game is terrible at explaining itself, but I figure that'd be less of a problem for a Stellaris vet.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Dramicus posted:

The traits of the scientist will influence the rolls. So to maximize the chances of command techs showing up, you need a scientist specialized in whatever the appropriate thing is for command.
Ahh, I had no idea of this!

I decided to check out that start position mod that's lore accurate and it's much more interesting. These are the starting empire positions:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I mean, this is more lore accurate, but in reality, the Federation kind of surrounds the Romulan Star Empire, except for the Romulan-Klingon border.

The Neutral Zone is a huge improvement over the base game's version at least.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Base game is less of a zone and more of a spot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the Romulans are pretty small and quite surrounded due to their century of isolationism. And the Cardassians are pretty much tiny, they've got that better. The Klingons are a lot bigger than the other two but the Federation is even bigger than that, it's very stretched out.

Also in reality (so to speak) the Federation is actually quite oddly shaped in the further out parts and has lots of little disconnected bits due to the way that random planets join and others don't, which honestly could've been an interesting mechanic if they'd leant into it and made it happen more on purpose.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 5, 2023

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Also in reality (so to speak) the Federation is actually quite oddly shaped in the further out parts and has lots of little disconnected bits due to the way that random planets join and others don't, which honestly could've been an interesting mechanic if they'd leant into it and made it happen more on purpose.

This still happens quite a lot, especially if it's an AI Federation. It was absolutely infuriating in my Cardassian run. They were just integrating poo poo all over the map.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I completed an entire federation game without seeing the tech to increase my fleet cap. It was the first tech I got as the Klingons. Annoying but at least it’s flavorful.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I don't mind the random pool of techs you can research. I hate the fact there's no tech tree to see what techs I should be looking out for to get to where I'd like to be.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
One thing you can do if you aren't getting what you want is to knock out the quickest techs until you get a favorable roll. Each tech you research removes it from the pool, thus increasing your chances of getting what you want. You can also prioritize the middle research box (if you want command techs) to get this done quicker at the expense of the other two.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The General posted:

I don't mind the random pool of techs you can research. I hate the fact there's no tech tree to see what techs I should be looking out for to get to where I'd like to be.
I'd also like to see a building tree for what upgrades into what. Does War Academy have any upgrades for example?

Also it takes so drat long to finish a game.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 6, 2023

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The lore accurate map is good to play on, the best mod I found so far gets rid of the timed research for the ships. At least let me have a Excelsior earlier than thr base game.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

The lore accurate map is good to play on, the best mod I found so far gets rid of the timed research for the ships. At least let me have a Excelsior earlier than thr base game.

The game should have Excelsiors unlocked at start, but have them cost double command points or something and the tech you research reduces it to the "normal" amount. Could be a way to respect lore and balance at the same time. So you can have them at start, but not loads.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

excelsiors but each time u warp u fly them apart

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
THEN FLY 'EM APART

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Still no word about what they're currently doing or planning on doing. :laugh:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

dev diary about why i should respect the klingon VO pack was kind of a joke

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Today is a good day to filibuster

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am playing Klingons and how do I make a world a Forge World?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I am playing Klingons and how do I make a world a Forge World?

You need to set it as a designation, click the circular button at the bottom left of the planet picture rectangle when the planet is selected.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Turns out hard labour is exactly that. I worked the Lissepians into extinction.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I enjoyed this game enough I finally went back to try out Stellaris and think I'm just gonna stick with the OG, unless or until this game gets any kind of updates or good mods. Stellaris just seems to feel like a much richer gameplay experience, even with no DLC. But I do have Infinite to thank for letting me dip my toes into this, because Stellaris was so overwhelming when I first tried it over a year ago.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

theres already decent mods imo but its still behind new horizons for obvious reasons that mod has been in development for ages, but if this continues getting updates/dlc/mod support it can maybe one day overtake it

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023

Dramicus posted:

I'd say it's easier. Much less emphasis on war, and more focus on exploration, diplomacy and espionage. There are still wars, but galactic tension limits how many systems you can take. So at 0% tension, you can only grab 3 systems every 10 years. If tension gets high then it adds another +2 claims per level of tension. A lot of stuff is explained in tool tips, so you just need to get into the habit of mousing over stuff and reading what it does.

Thanks, I just scooped it up! I'm going to give it a go this afternoon,

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Flipswitch posted:

That tracks: it was a Purge Type in standard Stellaris.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ahh I see! I never really had Stellaris click for me. I'll have to give it a go but I like the themes of Trek/this.

It was kind of funny to see Lissepia Prime suddenly be only populated by Cardassians lol.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Flipswitch posted:

*pours out a prune juice*

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Agreed, Paramount not giving them use of the sound library was a weird and lovely decision.

You'd think that giving likenesses to absolutely everyone and everything would be the expensive part they are overly protective off but no, because Paramount isn't called "The F----ing Paramount" for nothing they had to do something, so withholding SFX and visual effects library it is.

At least this time the game isn't region locked so that it was never available in Southeast Asia, and 2 weeks after the launch its pulled on EU markets without any explanation, while the DLCs (if we get any) will only be sold to US IP addresses as digital and others need to score Blueray GOTY-boxes aimed to third world markets.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

This week's update: No updates, but play Star Trek: Online.

Man, this company is terrible. Maybe they should go down to one dev diary a month. Maybe they'll be able to find words about their own game.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Der Kyhe posted:

You'd think that giving likenesses to absolutely everyone and everything would be the expensive part they are overly protective off but no, because Paramount isn't called "The F----ing Paramount" for nothing they had to do something, so withholding SFX and visual effects library it is.

At least this time the game isn't region locked so that it was never available in Southeast Asia, and 2 weeks after the launch its pulled on EU markets without any explanation, while the DLCs (if we get any) will only be sold to US IP addresses as digital and others need to score Blueray GOTY-boxes aimed to third world markets.

what game did paramount do that to

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Worf posted:

what game did paramount do that to

Pretty much all the new Star Trek shows follow that release logic. They just keep randomly disappearing from EU services and its a crap shoot of what shows and which seasons are available where.

At times pirating was the only way to see some of the Star Trek shows in EU, because Paramount is very special media distributing company.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Game is already 35% off on steam, that was fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's part of the Thanksgiving sale.