Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i think they released another patch and did some reddit ama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

HallelujahLee posted:

i think they released another patch and did some reddit ama

at least theyre moving in the right direction

they also responded to my review that specifically called these issues out

E: they should have honestly called this an early access game if their like, 6th patch is "phasers are now beams", in a star trek game

Worf fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 22, 2023

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Kind of normal for this developer.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Worf posted:

E: they should have honestly called this an early access game if their like, 6th patch is "phasers are now beams", in a star trek game

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Worf posted:

at least theyre moving in the right direction

they also responded to my review that specifically called these issues out

Yeah a lot of these patch notes are pretty basic things that don't seem like they would have cropped up at the 11th hour, they're basic features of the setting.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The tldr of the AMA is “maybe in a year if they don’t fire us all”

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3088548492

This is a really nice mod for fluffing up the Klingons a bit.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Flipswitch posted:

Ahh, I had no idea of this!

I decided to check out that start position mod that's lore accurate and it's much more interesting. These are the starting empire positions:

I wish was the map in the game and not a mod. The starting position gets on my nerves.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I just hate the neutral spot on the base game setup. It's so tiny and doesn't do anything. Why even include it?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
There’s one ok planet in the neutral zone if you’re playing as Federation. That’s all I can think of.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Zoeb posted:

I wish was the map in the game and not a mod. The starting position gets on my nerves.

i also agree the cardassians and romulans should be puny and pathetic in comparison to the glory & honor of the klingon empire

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Worf posted:

i also agree the cardassians and romulans should be puny and pathetic in comparison to the glory & honor of the klingon empire

post/username combo

I think I can live with the map how it is now. You always have the option to switch to a more "historically accurate" version via mods. The only thing the devs need to do is to give us a functional Neutral Zone, instead of this four system joke we have now.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

post/username combo

I think I can live with the map how it is now. You always have the option to switch to a more "historically accurate" version via mods. The only thing the devs need to do is to give us a functional Neutral Zone, instead of this four system joke we have now.

I think a big problem is the size of the empires at start. What we have now feels more appropriate for a TOS start. TNG feels like everything is much more developed and everyone should be at least 50% larger.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

finally the important changes we were all asking for

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i guess having ~2.5% of stellaris' players as a $30 stellaris mod with a lot of missing features isnt a total miss

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Worf posted:

i guess having ~2.5% of stellaris' players as a $30 stellaris mod with a lot of missing features isnt a total miss

I remember Stellaris at launch was aggressively mediocre. They need to do a bunch of overhalls. Being truer to canon, bringing in the dominion, letting ships change course would be a good start. I said in my steam review that this game is at the Mendoza line. Its got potential but isn't there yet.

Zoeb fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 2, 2023

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sounds like it'll never get there, from what I heard. Rally tragic. I was looking forward to what they could add in a DLC. You'd think Paradox, of all publishers, would understand the principle of fixing a rushed game with post-launch support, but I guess the reception has been cool enough that they don't want give the devs a chance to fix things any further than they have.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I don't really trust the devs either. 11 dev blogs, and not a single word about what they're devving.

Bonus points for a blog post every week I guess. But it's not enough points.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They do seem to patch a lot.

And I honestly thought the dominion was going to be a mid game crisis, something like the Khan in stellaris.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The General posted:

I don't really trust the devs either. 11 dev blogs, and not a single word about what they're devving.

Bonus points for a blog post every week I guess. But it's not enough points.
They were under a lot of limitations from Paradox. I had some personal behind the scenes looks that I won't be too specific about to keep from incriminating anyone. I will say that they were working on some neat stuff.

But yeah, it's over now unfortunately. No Dominion ever. Probably why they never made it public- they weren't 100% sure it was going to happen. It's a shame, I was really looking forward to what I heard of the Gamma Quadrant mechanics. It was such a good fit for Stellaris.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

it can probably be modded in but who knows

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

So future content is legit done on this game?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

On the Reddit AMA the dev said

quote:

Currently working on making this a great base game, trying our best to get reviews and player base in the right place. - Until this is fixed, I cannot promise and DLC or Content updates.

That being said, Dominion was top of my list for second crisis during development.

If I can get the game back on track, positive reviews on steam, a healthy player base, - Dominion is my first pitch.

so executive approval for more content in the game is predicated on things that would require more content. This is not on the No Man's Sky plan.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh man, that's news to me. That would be fantastic. All I know is my friend was working on potential DLC up until a few days ago and, uh, no one in the company is anymore, apparently. I don't know what it would take to ensure that Paradox goes back to backing some DLC, but I would highly advocate whatever it took. Not just 'cause of my friend's livelihood- the DLC sounded great.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Complications posted:

so executive approval for more content in the game is predicated on things that would require more content

This conundrum is what geordi created holo Leah Brahms for

Booby trap indeed

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I do enjoy my time in Infinite, but a new Stellaris DLC came out, and I can't play two games at once, unfortunately. So of course I'm checking out the new Stellaris stuff right now, and I bet other potential Infinite players are busy with the "original" as well.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Eiba posted:

Oh man, that's news to me. That would be fantastic. All I know is my friend was working on potential DLC up until a few days ago and, uh, no one in the company is anymore, apparently. I don't know what it would take to ensure that Paradox goes back to backing some DLC, but I would highly advocate whatever it took. Not just 'cause of my friend's livelihood- the DLC sounded great.

Isn't that kind of weird for Paradox? Big DLCs with a ton of extra mechanics has been a mainstay for their games. Why abandon that now?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Finster Dexter posted:

Isn't that kind of weird for Paradox? Big DLCs with a ton of extra mechanics has been a mainstay for their games. Why abandon that now?

Paradox isn't making this game, just publishing it. The company making it is the one behind the Master of Orion remake and they don't necessarily have the ability to deficit spend adding DLC to a game for 5 years until it becomes profitable. As much as I enjoyed it, I don' think Infinite sold much and so it's a real hard sell getting the publisher to greenlight DLC for a game that has a 400-ish playerbase.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dramicus posted:

The company making it is the one behind the Master of Orion remake

ohhhh

yeah that one kind of sucked

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Ok yeah, that makes sense, now.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Not sure how fast updates will come to this game if Argentina (where the devs are based) continues to turn into more of a shitshow.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I was under the impression that was basically already done. But maybe I'm reading too much into their last Devblog title of "All good things..."

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Perhaps today is a good day to die

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm perhaps being overly pessimistic, but I would wager that there are no more updates coming or at least none of substance. And this is nothing to do with whatever situation might be going on in Argentina, just purely based on the active player base. The game just didn't seem to sell much and so it seems that whatever we've got now is mostly playable and is probably the final product.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Sucks that they rushed it - I’m sure plenty of people are like me and refused to toss $30 at a game that had a good chance of ending up just like this. If this thing had 80% positive reviews I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I spent my bux in hope. Just gimmie Trek.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Sucks that they rushed it - I’m sure plenty of people are like me and refused to toss $30 at a game that had a good chance of ending up just like this. If this thing had 80% positive reviews I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

Its still better Stellaris than Stellaris itself without DLCs is. And Stellaris base game is still 40e in Steam, with each extension DLC 15e or 20e.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
My expectation was that the developers would release DLCs and continue polishing the base game but I am not seeing any kind of road map or progress.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ideally that's how it would go down. But unsurprisingly pushing out an unfinished game gets bad reviews, which leads to low sales and project abandonment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I've debated changing my review to a good one to reverse review bomb it