Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I pre-ordered and played a few games but all the neutered Stellaris mechanics made me crave Stellaris and so I went back to Stellaris and bought a bunch of Stellaris DLC so Paradox got money out of me one way or the other because of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zoeb posted:

My expectation was that the developers would release DLCs and continue polishing the base game but I am not seeing any kind of road map or progress.
That was very much the plan, but Paradox pulled the plug.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Der Kyhe posted:

Its still better Stellaris than Stellaris itself without DLCs is. And Stellaris base game is still 40e in Steam, with each extension DLC 15e or 20e.

Sure but I have Stellaris and many of the DLCs so for me this is very much a "wait and see what they do" purchase and I'm certainly not seeing anything worth paying $30 (or $20 on sale) for. I imagine a very large chunk of their target audience also owns Stellaris and many of the DLCs, and clearly many of them either took the same approach or left negative reviews because they felt they should have gotten more for their money.

I would have purchased the game by now if the reviews were high and if they somehow manage to turn the reviews around I'd be willing to pay $40 in the future for it. Being able to tweak the engine a bit gives room for a lot more cool stuff than a mod can provide. Unfortunately it looks like the game is on its way to being abandoned and the players in game graph shown earlier sure doesn't say otherwise.

Overall I'm a little more upset at this than I would be at any other unowned game flopping because there's a real lack of good Star Trek games and each time one flops I feel it makes Paramount less likely to hand out the license in the short/medium term.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

It’s a shame that they just didn’t wait to release the game

The whole thing with the naussicans having the Borg logo, as one example. As well as the whole pirate system at release even beyond that. It was really confusing and a really poor implementation.

Because the game as a whole was kind of Janky, I wasn’t really sure if it was pirates with mislabeled faction icon, or Borg, with the incorrect ships. Especially if you look at that image, I posted earlier in the thread, the Pirates literally had more ships than every major and minor faction combined lol. They also only had one planetary system.

Those are the types of things that kind of make people shelve the game I think. And for anybody that was a Star Trek fan, but didn’t play stellaris, it was absolutely an unintuitive experience. Like if you release 10 patches, and none of them actually have new content and all of them are just fixing the game, that’s basically enough said I guess.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Worf posted:

It’s a shame that they just didn’t wait to release the game
Not just Paradox but also Paramount were breathing down their necks. They had to spend precious last minute pre-release time putting in random Lower Decks tie in bullshit, for instance.

And when they tried to make a Lower Decks style joke about how the game start is the wrong time for the Ceritos and some time shenanigans must have happened again, Paramount vetoed it. The Lower Decks reference needed to be as soulless and perfunctory as possible.

The people making this game really liked Star Trek and put in a ton of effort (like reverse engineering Stellaris's AI), but the people funding this game really didn't give a poo poo and were counting on branded garbage to make a quick buck. And of course it's the people with the money that set the release date.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

They should be hauled away as garbage

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Eiba posted:

Not just Paradox but also Paramount were breathing down their necks. They had to spend precious last minute pre-release time putting in random Lower Decks tie in bullshit, for instance.

And when they tried to make a Lower Decks style joke about how the game start is the wrong time for the Ceritos and some time shenanigans must have happened again, Paramount vetoed it. The Lower Decks reference needed to be as soulless and perfunctory as possible.

The people making this game really liked Star Trek and put in a ton of effort (like reverse engineering Stellaris's AI), but the people funding this game really didn't give a poo poo and were counting on branded garbage to make a quick buck. And of course it's the people with the money that set the release date.

Do you have contacts with the dev team?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth, I like the game and got almost 100 hours out of it. I hope there's a Christmas miracle or something and we get more content.

The game also validated my claim that warp travel was, is, and will forever be superior to hyperlanes. Give me back what you stole from me, Stellaris.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

Do you have contacts with the dev team?
Yes. Though the person I know heard the things I've been saying second hand themselves, so there is some telephone going on. But the passion and frustration of the people actually working on the game is pretty clear in any case.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I just took the Stellaris survey, and wrote into one of the suggestion boxes that I really appreciated Infinite's "fixed" map. Because it's true. I've played games with all four empires, and they are definitely not the same. That mod with a more "realistic" start is also pretty great. This is definitely one area where Infinite is superior to Stellaris.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I honestly can't imagine playing this game knowing that they weren't given the use of the sound library. The generic beeps and boops would drive me nuts

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Professor Beetus posted:

I honestly can't imagine playing this game knowing that they weren't given the use of the sound library. The generic beeps and boops would drive me nuts

I wont say it drives me nuts but it was the key issue I wrote about in my review, there are so many established noises where X sounds like Y etc and to have that ignored (the reason is moot to me, as an end user) was a huge missed opportunity in the game.

I'll probably play it again here or there. Its a shame because i dont get excited for many games but I was hoping this one would draw me in more than it succeeded in doing.

Do the trek mods for stellaris require DLCs?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Worf posted:

I wont say it drives me nuts but it was the key issue I wrote about in my review, there are so many established noises where X sounds like Y etc and to have that ignored (the reason is moot to me, as an end user) was a huge missed opportunity in the game.

I'll probably play it again here or there. Its a shame because i dont get excited for many games but I was hoping this one would draw me in more than it succeeded in doing.

Do the trek mods for stellaris require DLCs?

They add extra features based on the DLC's you have but will work without any of them.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Popped on to their Discord to see if there have been any updates and doesn't look hopeful. Seems like Paradox is open to doing more with the game but Paramount perhaps is not.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Torrannor posted:

I just took the Stellaris survey, and wrote into one of the suggestion boxes that I really appreciated Infinite's "fixed" map. Because it's true. I've played games with all four empires, and they are definitely not the same. That mod with a more "realistic" start is also pretty great. This is definitely one area where Infinite is superior to Stellaris.

Yeah, one thing I like about EU4 is how there’s established regions and relationships. I don’t know how you do this in Stellaris, but it’d be cool.

Edit: this is not the stellaris thread, whoops.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

oof.

i wanted so much to love this, but it just didn't get there, imo.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/embracer-lays-off-staff-at-star-trek-infinite-dev-nimble-giant

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

honestly gently caress embracer, not for this, but for everything

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

And my friend is unemployed.

Welp.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Well poo poo :smith:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

all mediocre things must come to an end

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Man, that loving sucks.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Worf posted:

honestly gently caress embracer, not for this, but for everything

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Embracer does indeed suck and must be destroyed

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Worf posted:

honestly gently caress embracer. For this. For everything.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The General posted:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The General posted:

The game had a lot of potential with some more patches and DLC, too bad we won't ever see that :(

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Insanite posted:

Embracer does indeed suck and must be destroyed

They're doing a great job!

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

gently caress Embracer and gently caress Paramount.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Had hoped for better news, oh well

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/star-trek-infinite-dev-log-13-what-you-leave-behind.1629503/

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
ah well, that sucks

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's a real shame. If Infinite had gotten Imperator levels of support before being abandoned, it would have made a huge difference.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Yeah, this was just a massive disapointment. Guess it's back to the Stellaris mod, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Well I'm just happy this disaster didn't drag down the Stellaris mods with it.