Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Thom12255 posted:

It has full mod support, same as Stellaris. Only thing I've seen the devs say is they will be more strict with what is allowed on the workshop - no Star Wars mods for this game for instance as Paramount wouldn't like it.

Star Wars at least works better on base Stellaris, the hyperlanes are basically hyperdrives, other IPs might be be nicer with warp back in play, though there's always nexus or github. Good to hear the game will otherwise still be mod-friendly though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I hope someone mods in the Kirk era ships. I always liked the og enterprise the most.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Archonex posted:

I really don't see how this is going to compete with the main mod for Stellaris which is so absurdly detailed I can play as rubber forehead alien species #4519 and get a unique gameplay experience with all sorts of crazy events that fit them alongside a custom fleet system that this game seems to be outright cribbing at least some notes off of. Some stuff like captains being assigned as military leaders to ships are ripped straight out of mechanics from the mod, in fact.

And never mind with them basically putting in every minute detail as a playable element. The mod's basically a Star Trek universe sim at this point, complete with various AU's and even a functional mirror universe that you can choose to interact with, play in, or not.

It's giving me "Why are people going to buy the Command and Conquer remake except for nostalgia or future modding purposes when the mod scene has done most of what they're doing over the years for free?" vibes. There's a case where the community just knocks it out of the park and it's hard for a corporation to compete.

Which Stellaris mod is this?

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Which Stellaris mod is this?

There's actually two that forked off each other, ST New Horizons and ST New Civilizations. It's been a while since I played either, and they both change quite a bit of the base game, but I believe the first goes further. It has more resources and puts canon limitations on shipbuilding, like no cannons on Starfleet ships.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

MinorRed posted:

There's actually two that forked off each other, ST New Horizons and ST New Civilizations. It's been a while since I played either, and they both change quite a bit of the base game, but I believe the first goes further. It has more resources and puts canon limitations on shipbuilding, like no cannons on Starfleet ships.

Here is a link to new horizons, which is the older and probably more developed of the two.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688086068

It's genuinely impressive in it's design and scope. It's so detailed you can start off as post Cochrane Earth and eventually form the federation by going through Enterprise (the series) episodes complete with the Enterprise being a captain type ship like in Infinite and even assigning captains according to canon from the era. You can even put it in the more conventional Starfleet feeling dude whom Archer replaced.) or gently caress it up and end up in all sorts of insane alternate canons that it and earlier series implied were the case.

The mod covers literally pretty much everything in the canon and even lets you opt into the beta canon if you want. Every episode, every plot, every ship (and you can lead initiatives to do new takes on canon ships that were proposed but in setting never put into place), new mechanics to go with it, new crises stemming from canon and possible scenarios, etc, etc. And this is for every major race in the series.

Even the one shot races can get neat mechanics. The Krenim, the time traveling assholes from Voyager have unique tech and events that (due to the recklessness of their tech) gently caress up the space time continuum and let all sorts of stuff happen. And they need it, since they're parked next to the Borg which for the longest time played like nothing in Stellaris and had an entirely unique gameplay style and mechanics. Ditto for the fascist dino aliens from Voyager with their massive city ships. You basically play as them and are semi nomadic.

Heck, the Klingon Empire is basically a Crusader Kings knockoff with you having to balance the power of the scheming houses lest they start a rebellion like in TNG.

I recommend paging through the changelog to get an idea of the scope of the mod. Infinite's gonna have it's work cutting out if it wants to compete with it directly, which is why I originally mentioned it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 29, 2023

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Im getting this game

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Worf posted:

Im getting this game

Well of course Worf would get the game where he can play as the Klingon Empire. :colbert:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Dev Log 3 posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/star-trek-infinite-dev-log-3-the-artistic-vision.1600300/

Developer Log - Stardate: 23743.9

The Artistic Vision

In today's Dev log, I will discuss the artistic vision and the decisions made to respectfully expand the franchise, and showcase the extensive content that made this game possible.

To grasp the intricacies of our artistic decisions, it is essential to recognize that this game offers four distinct gameplay perspectives. Crafting a tailored user experience for each of these major powers stood as a paramount factor in shaping the development of each asset. This challenge presented an incredible opportunity.

The artistic vision of Star Trek: Infinite focuses on five core pillars that make up the visual proposal of the game.

The first of these pillars is Consistency. We wanted the Star Trek IP to be presented in a respectful, consistent, and synergistic way, to better help us visualize the wondrous universe of grand strategy games. These three key elements will help us analyze the treatment to give to each of the artistic elements integrated into the game. Each of the assets must fulfill these three purposes, without exception.

This brings us to the second pillar, Classic Trek. The goal is to fulfill trekkie expectations so that they are comfortable with, and can identify with, the use of the classic IP vision for the game. Establishing this rule greatly simplified our decision-making when choosing the characters, the places they occupy within the canon (both for the actors and the audience), the models of the ships, and above all, faithfully representing the source material, as the franchise was built over many decades.

In order to apply all of this correctly, another pillar, Stylization, is defined. In the spaceship stylization for this type of strategy game, legibility will always be prioritized, and will respect the IP boundaries. One of the biggest challenges in the styling proposal came with the 3D models of the ships and structures. Although I was aware that the ship designs had to be adapted to be able to be used in the game engine, the methodology that was used when reducing information was to reverse-engineer the key elements of each design, extract them, and preserve their essence in the redesign.

For the design of the new models, this same criterion was used. A deep research and analysis was done on the structure of the original models, in order to interpret and replicate the decision-making in the designs that made this franchise great.
Regarding the multiple aspects of gameplay, each piece of art corresponds to a different perspective of the game, while some have shared use across all four. This encompasses 3D models, event illustrations, loading screens, iconography, mini illustrations, portraits, VFX, and more.

Taking into account that style makes functionality, we find the next pillar, Gameplay First. The UI must always inform gameplay first, in each of its decisions. The user experience posed a great challenge to us, since we had to define an artistic proposal for the user interface, sufficiently clear and defined, that could coexist with realistic graphics support, with a 90's photographic style.

The influence of the original interface used in TNG, combined with some of the most current graphical resources of the franchise, made it possible to achieve a clean and flat style topped with gloss resources that make a high-end interface emphasizing functionality. Both for the iconography and the mini illustrations, functionality is always prioritized. The same applies for the VFX and animations.

In terms of diversity, this was one of the most crucial aspects to consider when creating content, as the franchise has prioritized it since its inception. To achieve this, we collaborated closely with Paramount to carefully curate and define both the event content and the character portraits.

Finally, we find the last pillar, Faithfully Representative. The informative and functional content of this kind of strategy game will be enhanced by the Star Trek IP and its components. The visual content of the original TNG series will be used as faithfully as possible in each artistic decision.

End Log,

Maximiliano Dajtscher
Art Director for Star Trek: Infinite

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 29, 2023

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

It has full mod support, same as Stellaris. Only thing I've seen the devs say is they will be more strict with what is allowed on the workshop - no Star Wars mods for this game for instance as Paramount wouldn't like it.

fair enough

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
They've posted one of the assests without the UI if anyone would like a wallpaper.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

They've posted one of the assests without the UI if anyone would like a wallpaper.

grrr, tacky cardassian fascist eyesore!!!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

cmdrk posted:

grrr, tacky cardassian fascist eyesore!!!

On their forum post this was the filename lol.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Another wallpaper:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
As a very basic/passing fan of Star Trek, I've only really ever liked Federation stuff; the non-federation ship designs are not super attractive.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Dramicus posted:

As a very basic/passing fan of Star Trek, I've only really ever liked Federation stuff; the non-federation ship designs are not super attractive.

Other race stuff can be hit or miss.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
On one hand I want this to be good, but on there other hand do I really need another paradox DLC money pit, especially one so similar to an already established money pit?

I really don't want to go through another dev cycle of adding piecemeal add-ons like espionage or leaders or whatever. I just can't loving do it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Kris xK posted:

On one hand I want this to be good, but on there other hand do I really need another paradox DLC money pit, especially one so similar to an already established money pit?

I really don't want to go through another dev cycle of adding piecemeal add-ons like espionage or leaders or whatever. I just can't loving do it.

IDK, if it's getting lots of DLC then that means it is selling well and Paramount is happy and they might ask more developers to make Trek games.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I think the big Trek antagonist empires are each pretty cool in their own way, but society-wise they're all basically imperial dictatorships. Hopefully you can change their governments and get some unique events. If they're trying to stay close to canon and the Dominion War isn't in the game, I wonder how much unique content the Cardassians are actually going to have at launch. I'm cautiously optimistic about this but it feels like a situation where the initial sales will determine whether they get to build it up into something really cool.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

One of the reviews I read mentioned that they noticed the Cardassians were following a diplomatic path rather than a military one in their game, so I'm pretty sure they have paths like the ahistorical ones in HoI.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

IDK, if it's getting lots of DLC then that means it is selling well and Paramount is happy and they might ask more developers to make Trek games.

If it's more DLC like race/species packs I'm 100% down and will spend real money for the honour of playing as a little poo poo ferengi.

If it's just stellaris DLC a couple cycles behind, pass.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The mission trees image posted in that dev blog shows that the Cardassians have a path of government reform and one of making peace with Bajor, and the Romulans have one of dealing with the supernova that completely shakes up their society, so there's definitely ways for at least those two empires to significantly alter how they function.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

McSpanky posted:

The mission trees image posted in that dev blog shows that the Cardassians have a path of government reform and one of making peace with Bajor, and the Romulans have one of dealing with the supernova that completely shakes up their society, so there's definitely ways for at least those two empires to significantly alter how they function.

If it wasn't for the Klingon invasion and the Dominion messing things up then Cardassia was already on the path to a more open and free society so I'm glad they give you the option.

Kris xK posted:

If it's more DLC like race/species packs I'm 100% down and will spend real money for the honour of playing as a little poo poo ferengi.

If it's just stellaris DLC a couple cycles behind, pass.

From the way the developers have talked about what they'd like to do in the future I think DLC will be more story and event-based rather than adding tons of new mechanics or completely changing core systems every year.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I hope they filled the game with loads of silly little things like the accept button on events saying "Make it so."

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dramicus posted:

I hope they filled the game with loads of silly little things like the accept button on events saying "Make it so."
Captain Jean Picard of the USS Enterprise.
Captain Jean Picard of the USS Enterprise.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Welp, just preordered the deluxe edition. They say fortune favors the bold -- I'm going to find out.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

McSpanky posted:

Welp, just preordered the deluxe edition. They say fortune favors the bold -- I'm going to find out.

Fortune favors the bold, unless the bold is wearing a red shirt.

Please report back, and if necessary we will honor your sacrifice.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

McSpanky posted:

May you die with honor.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I think the deluxe version only gets you some wallpapers and the soundtrack. The other stuff is for preordering.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Dramicus posted:

I think the deluxe version only gets you some wallpapers and the soundtrack. The other stuff is for preordering.

You get extra music in-game is the main thing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Thom12255 posted:

You get extra music in-game is the main thing.

Yep, bonus music plus the music as an independent download. The digital art book is probably gonna be fun too but I'm mostly after those soundtrack goodies.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Yep, bonus music plus the music as an independent download. The digital art book is probably gonna be fun too but I'm mostly after those soundtrack goodies.

I'm glad this game got made just for the art - I've wanted a high quality wallpaper of the Enterprise heading to Spacedock for years and the ones online all look bad.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

A bit of a story event and crisis spoiler.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Pre-Ordering is without honor

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I know what Voyager returning will probably trigger. Never saw any DS9, what kind of event would trigger related to that?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Dramicus posted:

I know what Voyager returning will probably trigger. Never saw any DS9, what kind of event would trigger related to that?

The Dominion Wars, basically a superpower from the gamma quadrant of the galaxy infiltrates and later outright invades the alpha/beta quadrants.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Event: Dukat Dilemma

Side with Prophets: +5% spiritualist attraction, +5% happiness, random leader removed from leader pool
Side with the Pah-wraith: +5% authoritarian attraction, +5% pop growth, +5% crime

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ardryn posted:

The Dominion Wars, basically a superpower from the gamma quadrant of the galaxy infiltrates and later outright invades the alpha/beta quadrants.

I had totally forgotten about that. So we've got at least 2 crises at launch. Is there potential for a third in this part of the timeline? Does Romulus blow up, or is that later?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Dramicus posted:

I had totally forgotten about that. So we've got at least 2 crises at launch. Is there potential for a third in this part of the timeline? Does Romulus blow up, or is that later?

Someone mentioned that the Romulans had a focus to deal with or ignore the supernova, so that might be the third?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Dramicus posted:

This makes me wonder if there's something scripted for Voyager returning after some other power conquers the Federation. I guess if they follow canon Voyager would be loaded down with future supertech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Bremen posted:

This makes me wonder if there's something scripted for Voyager returning after some other power conquers the Federation. I guess if they follow canon Voyager would be loaded down with future supertech?
Voyager has returned from the Delta Quadrant, only to find [InsertEmpireNameHere] occupying former Federation Space.

1. Destroy them! (+5 happiness)
2. Capture them! (+ 5% research)

A bit cynical, but anything more bespoke would be a treat.