Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
i mean if you wanna throw me some links to learn how to usenet go for it

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

snergle posted:

this is a thread for yelling at people for not doing things the way you do them, not whatever you're talking about

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Just steal the scripts imo.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Mordja posted:

This but unironically

You can fit many DVDs in a nas. For archival purposes you want tapes.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

R.L. Stine posted:

radarr + sonarr + nzb360 + plex is pretty hands off. type in a movie or tv show and the work is done, everything is put where it's supposed to be. you can use public trackers and/or usenet and not worry about ratios at all. if you install nzb360 on your phone it's even easier and you can grab stuff while you poo poo or whatever. it owns

i program computers for a living and this post might as well be written in hebrew. i don't want to come home and babysit a bunch of janky fuckin computer programs, i get enough of that in my day job. luckily i watch hardly any tv so i don't really care.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

snergle posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409898&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Networked storage and automating downloads with Sonarr is another more difficult thing. I'd recommend just sticking with public trackers and a vpn unless you're willing to go through the trouble of setting it up.

Hammerite posted:

i program computers for a living and this post might as well be written in hebrew. i don't want to come home and babysit a bunch of janky fuckin computer programs, i get enough of that in my day job. luckily i watch hardly any tv so i don't really care.

It's nice that your punch card punching skills are still in demand!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 24, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't really watch a lot of media and I value my time so piracy is usually a cost not a profit. Like cool, I got this thing for $0 but I had to deal with nerd poo poo for an hour so really I made negative money tbh

I dunno, I feel like you've got to be using a lot of your time watching movies and shows and playing games to justify the time you spend setting it up and everything. If you do then cool, but I definitely don't.

I also don't subscribe to streaming services besides maybe one media platform that has a show I want to actively watch, and gamepass. So I'm not really the target audience for either camps I guess.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh I'm sorry you rather be hostile and yell NERRRDS instead of "learning" a basic loving thing to do. I am so loving sick of people being proud of their stupidity. Good job wasting your time and money we're all very impressed. We aren't. I'm lying. It's called sarcasm.

Nobody cares about your peasant mental breakdown because others have enough income to not worry about missing the nonsense you watch to keep your dull offspring passive.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If I want to spend my time watching bad TV shows I can already watch the crappy AI Seinfeld forever for free.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mega64 posted:

If I want to spend my time watching bad TV shows I can already watch the crappy AI Seinfeld forever for free.

I didn't know David Zaslav posted here

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

R.L. Stine posted:

being a computer person owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9FGgwCQ22w&t=45s

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
My mom pays for my Disney plus so I can watch the Simpsons on an endless loop

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I simply grind my pepper cannon for entertainment

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Usenet/*arr setup takes half hour tops if you follow the trash guide. No one has never gotten a notice from their ISP for downloading a movie from usenet. Torrent trackers are a pain the rear end with leechers and ratio nazis. Something that was uploaded to usenet 15 years ago is still there and you don't have to post for a reseed (which will be ignored anyway).

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

R.L. Stine posted:

radarr + sonarr + nzb360 + plex is pretty hands off. type in a movie or tv show and the work is done, everything is put where it's supposed to be. you can use public trackers and/or usenet and not worry about ratios at all. if you install nzb360 on your phone it's even easier and you can grab stuff while you poo poo or whatever. it owns

I pirate most of my media and I have no idea what what any of this is. I don't even use a VPN for torrents.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

And stay away from MeGusta rips

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bonzo posted:

Hey those are great for file size. There's lots of shows that like, don't deserve to be crystal clear and take up more drive space.

I'd like if there was an easy way to tweak series I already have, like "hey take this and replace it with H.265 and as close to this amount of total GB as you can" but haven't seen anything for it.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 24, 2023

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i subscribed to each and every streaming service and i STILL cant watch Boxing Helena (1993)!!! its a scam!

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Bonzo posted:

why's that?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Modern piracy is so hands off you don’t even tell it new shows and movies you care about, it just works it out by itself. Then you share the love with your friends and family and then they give you things like beer and haircuts.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I’ve got a buddy who shoplifts constantly and pirates everything who is super condescending about anyone who would have the audacity to pay for a thing. I make decent money, I don’t give a gently caress. Have fun with your one cool trick we all learned at fifteen and moved on from.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

i still use a vpn and pirate poo poo since I'm not paying more than I would pay for cable for 8 streaming services, comcast already gets plenty of money from me for internet and absolutely caps me, but i also don't get real mad at people about it

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

i still use a vpn and pirate poo poo since I'm not paying more than I would pay for cable for 8 streaming services, comcast already gets plenty of money from me for internet and absolutely caps me, but i also don't get real mad at people about it

Same. Plex has been great for me (and the friends I've shared it with). Never going back to streaming services again, they can eat poo poo right off of my loving balls.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
* googles 'download shows automatically' *

:eyepop: wha- did the freakin king tutenkhamun write this????

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Same. Plex has been great for me (and the friends I've shared it with). Never going back to streaming services again, they can eat poo poo right off of my loving balls.

back when Netflix and Prime were good it was an awesome deal, once I saw Hulu I knew everything was gonna go to poo poo and now we're at "hey pay more than cable"

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
We're also at people complaining the poo poo they steal is substandard and gets cancelled too soon.

Media piracy is like stealing from stores in that I fully support people doing it but if too many people do it who don't need to do it, then things change and nobody can

bking
Dec 19, 2005

Comments: 206-495-6525
I just got into the Usenet/*arr world after all the streaming services started getting lovely about password sharing, price increases, and geographic region-blocking.

Getting the setup generally working to download and stream the media that I know I want has been very satisfying. At this point, all I miss is the discoverability. I’d enjoy allocating ~5TB/mo to some rotating selection of “hey, it looks like you like this genre… here’s some more content like that”.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Lt. Cock posted:

I’ve got a buddy who shoplifts constantly and pirates everything who is super condescending about anyone who would have the audacity to pay for a thing. I make decent money, I don’t give a gently caress. Have fun with your one cool trick we all learned at fifteen and moved on from.

You're inability to see that one thing is vastly easier and less time wasting than the other is not something to be proud of. It's not about the money it's about not spending money on a shittier product.

Bonzo posted:

Usenet/*arr setup takes half hour tops if you follow the trash guide. No one has never gotten a notice from their ISP for downloading a movie from usenet. Torrent trackers are a pain the rear end with leechers and ratio nazis. Something that was uploaded to usenet 15 years ago is still there and you don't have to post for a reseed (which will be ignored anyway).

This feels optimistic. Linux can be a fiddly little fucker and depending on your familiarity they may take a while to solve. Dealing with docker, permissions etc. took me awhile I blame Synology's OS. Of course if you're just chucking it on a windows or mac I imagine it's easier.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 24, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

maybealabia posted:

We're also at people complaining the poo poo they steal is substandard and gets cancelled too soon.

Media piracy is like stealing from stores in that I fully support people doing it but if too many people do it who don't need to do it, then things change and nobody can

lol comcast never cared about data caps in the part of town I used to live in, once I moved into the ghetto all of a sudden every single terabyte is a precious commodity

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

MrQwerty posted:

lol comcast never cared about data caps in the part of town I used to live in, once I moved into the ghetto all of a sudden every single terabyte is a precious commodity

The infrastructure is probably a lot worse and older but that's no defense of Comcast

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Junk posted:

why's that?

Zero VGS posted:

Hey those are great for file size. There's lots of shows that like, don't deserve to be crystal clear and take up more drive space.

I'd like if there was an easy way to tweak series I already have, like "hey take this and replace it with H.265 and as close to this amount of total GB as you can" but haven't seen anything for it.

Yeah, they are usually low quality. I watch the Arrowverse crap using those rips. You'll get station IDs and "A new episode of ..." showing in the lower third. Sometimes a water mark for whatever tracker it got uploaded to.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

maybealabia posted:

I think it's still all relative - the audience who will actually pay for things they don't have to out of either ignorance or morality is your actual ceiling and measuring stick

All those things that got cancelled didn't get pirated any more than the megahits. The ratio is probably the same or even less because cinephiles will have some kind of honour about it, but the overall numbers are smaller and don't hit targets whether you include piracy or not

Budgets should reflect how much they can actually expect to make on a production not how much if all the people who will not pay for it suddenly did because it ain't happening

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MrQwerty posted:

back when Netflix and Prime were good it was an awesome deal, once I saw Hulu I knew everything was gonna go to poo poo and now we're at "hey pay more than cable"

Yeah, it’s safe to say most people in this thread can and have paid for media services before and don’t anymore because they treat the customers like garbage, offering lovely services at constantly inflating prices. Remember when people thought moving away from cable would be good and cheaper? We have some of the paid stuff and never use it, because why load up things like Max or Prime when I can load up Plex and it does a better job of it.

Plus piracy opens you up to a world of cool poo poo like versions of shows with their original soundtracks reinstated, upscaled rather than using old interlaced DVDs, and things like actually being able to watch the shows rather than the servers getting overloaded because they’ve cheaped out.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

roomtone posted:

I think it's still all relative - the audience who will actually pay for things they don't have to out of either ignorance or morality is your actual ceiling and measuring stick

All those things that got cancelled didn't get pirated any more than the megahits. The ratio is probably the same or even less because cinephiles will have some kind of honour about it, but the overall numbers are smaller and don't hit targets whether you include piracy or not

Budgets should reflect how much they can actually expect to make on a production not how much if all the people who will not pay for it suddenly did because it ain't happening

Sure those were sort of two disconnected thoughts

The tragedy of the commons thing is a real risk though

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

maybealabia posted:

The infrastructure is probably a lot worse and older but that's no defense of Comcast

no, it's actually newer, they installed new lines down here when they tore up the cross streets to put roadblocks in them a while back. Old area of town is out in the boonies, 1 mile into county vs. city, where everyone lives on an acre and had to pay to connect power and install septic tanks so people could have horses in the 90's.

I get capped now but my speed is like 2-3x what I got out there lol

I also live in a state that a very significant portion of the population of this country thinks is a foreign country, though

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 24, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Extra row of tits posted:

Nobody cares about your peasant mental breakdown because others have enough income to not worry about missing the nonsense you watch to keep your dull offspring passive.

I guess having more money makes you better? So how many million united state dollars worth of currency do you have? Come on whip it out we all want to be impressed.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Pirates are criminals, OP. Criminals are not cool. Following the law and listening to your parents is what's really cool, OP. Maybe try that.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

Pirates are criminals, OP. Criminals are not cool. Following the law and listening to your parents is what's really cool, OP. Maybe try that.

Sorry can't hear you busy using emule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Why not both, op? Stream the easy stuff and pirate oddball poo poo.