Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Why not both, op? Stream the easy stuff and pirate oddball poo poo.

This is kind of the reverse of reality. Oddball poo poo can be easier to find on youtube than usenet/bittorrent. Once I was trying to find a better copy or maybe just any copy I don't remember, of a really rad reality show but the super special tier 1 private tracker didn't have it. (somebody else checked for me, I sure as gently caress am not spending the time to climb the private tracker pyramid) Youtube did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Buce posted:

i just steal dvds from the video store. if i want to watch a show or some streaming thing, then I steal a dvd of it from the streaming store

you can get them for free from the local library, you don't have to steal them

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Plus piracy opens you up to a world of cool poo poo like versions of shows with their original soundtracks reinstated, upscaled rather than using old interlaced DVDs, and things like actually being able to watch the shows rather than the servers getting overloaded because they’ve cheaped out.

There's a few shows like Beforeigners that never show up in North America. Some other stuff out of Norway that isn't bad at all

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if it's not worth paying for, it's not worth watching

it's that simple op

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bonzo posted:

There's a few shows like Beforeigners that never show up in North America. Some other stuff out of Norway that isn't bad at all

Yup, so much international stuff can’t be found the legit way, or even gets official subtitles. Hell even this morning a reality show we watch decided to put its final episode on Max and not Discovery, where all the previous episodes had gone.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
Yeah I’ve pirated literally everything I’ve watched for the past 20 years, but it was kind of a chore to set up the Plex/Sonarr/Radarr/nzb NAS thing, and I have to go through a bunch of tedious network troubleshooting to keep the NAS working on the mesh AP I need to use to keep the disks clacking away somewhere that isn’t annoying as gently caress. Torrents are easy to use, but they’re harder to get ported over to a TV when you’re already sitting on the couch.

Pirating stuff still seems like the better option in 2023 but if some of you guys don’t want to mess with all of that then you are still fine folks deserving of basic dignity etc

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Those who set up Usenet scrapers are probably not accepted in the finest hotels in Europe, if you catch my meaning.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
look at all these nerds who never used uTorrent to watch Dragonball Z

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

My dad had like 10 different streaming services that he just kept paying for because he forgot to cancel them after he watched the one show he wanted to check out. Paramount, HBO, Disney, Hulu, Peacock, Netflix, Amazon Prime, ESPN, even loving random poo poo like Sling and AMC+

Then I just showed him f2movies and went over to his house and one by once cancelled each of the streaming services and saved him like $150 a month

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Toxic Mental posted:

My dad had like 10 different streaming services that he just kept paying for because he forgot to cancel them after he watched the one show he wanted to check out. Paramount, HBO, Disney, Hulu, Peacock, Netflix, Amazon Prime, ESPN, even loving random poo poo like Sling and AMC+

Then I just showed him f2movies and went over to his house and one by once cancelled each of the streaming services and saved him like $150 a month

1st world problems

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've never pirated anything.

But I also stream barely nothing.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Lt. Cock posted:

I’ve got a buddy who shoplifts constantly and pirates everything who is super condescending about anyone who would have the audacity to pay for a thing. I make decent money, I don’t give a gently caress. Have fun with your one cool trick we all learned at fifteen and moved on from.

at least when i download a show some coporation can't decide that i'm not allowed to watch it anymore and take it away from me without literally kicking my front door in

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Bonzo posted:

Yeah, they are usually low quality. I watch the Arrowverse crap using those rips. You'll get station IDs and "A new episode of ..." showing in the lower third. Sometimes a water mark for whatever tracker it got uploaded to.

ah ok. i grabbed the megusta rips of the latest season of 60 days in and didn't notice anything off about them, but good to know thx

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

Sorry can't hear you busy using emule.

oh poo poo is emule still around? that was the best for finding rare poo poo

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lt. Cock posted:

I’ve got a buddy who shoplifts constantly and pirates everything who is super condescending about anyone who would have the audacity to pay for a thing. I make decent money, I don’t give a gently caress. Have fun with your one cool trick we all learned at fifteen and moved on from.

I honestly used to be like your friend. Then I started to make money. Feels better to pay for things online than steal them, I dunno, stealing things is still cheaper

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I honestly used to be like your friend. Then I started to make money. Feels better to pay for things online than steal them, I dunno, stealing things is still cheaper

Also if you can trivially afford it, it's nice to have things that just work without having to gently caress around. My time and effort also have value

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

still doesnt solve the problem that there is a lot of poo poo that simply cannot be found through legitimate means and you are still at the mercy of whatever streaming service you're paying money to to suddenly yank away your favorite shows and movies

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

maybealabia posted:

Also if you can trivially afford it, it's nice to have things that just work without having to gently caress around. My time and effort also have value

for sure. Im about to buy a house in VA, just so I can hang out with my mom. Got a lot of problems, I know.

Junk posted:

still doesnt solve the problem that there is a lot of poo poo that simply cannot be found through legitimate means and you are still at the mercy of whatever streaming service you're paying money to to suddenly yank away your favorite shows and movies

It's all good man, download all those twenty year old games you want. As long as it isn't Nintendo, have at it

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I mean I pay for games that i end up barely playing, I'm not going to steal a game (unless you count pokemon rom hacks) because i want to support the person or people who made it, why is tv different? Like i get that you don't get a permanent copy of it and that is kinda annoying but i don't really like stealing things sorry i guess I'm a goody two shoes like that. I'm not saying I'm going to judge people who do it though especially if they actually can't afford it but I just personally don't like to not support entertainers with my own money. I feel like it's a show of respect for me but i can understand where others wouldn't see it that way. I pay for spotify too is that stupid too? Probably but I don't really care like it's fine i can afford it so whatever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

maybealabia posted:

This does not describe a whole ton of legitimate services.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I pirate a lot of things to give to my close friend who is too poor to even pirate things because she doesn't have reliable or unlimited Internet

I just mailed a 64GB flash drive jam packed with stolen TV and movies. Two forever stamps well spent

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

maybealabia posted:

I pirate a lot of things to give to my close friend who is too poor to even pirate things because she doesn't have reliable or unlimited Internet

I just mailed a 64GB flash drive jam packed with stolen TV and movies. Two forever stamps well spent

You are a good friend. :)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

maybealabia posted:

OK. I am pretty sure you are making fun of us now

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

OK. I am pretty sure you are making fun of us now

That post was one hundred percent true and sincere. I bought her a Chromebook last year that she can watch on. Her situation isn't great but I can make it a little better.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

maybealabia posted:

That post was one hundred percent true and sincere. I bought her a Chromebook last year that she can watch on. Her situation isn't great but I can make it a little better.

who's mom are we making fun of again?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

maybealabia posted:

It loses in price. It loses in quality. It loses in convenience.

Price it'll never win on, although I suppose free with ads could be considered a win over paying for usenet/a nas. Quality can be a draw depending on where files were taken from. Convenience is where it could actually win, but they've successfully hosed it up by balkanizing. You'd really have to be a big dumb to choose streaming.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 24, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

who's mom are we making fun of again?

I'm glad you don't actually know or care about any poor people with health issues in marginal relationships who are just scraping by on this bitch of an earth

But I do

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

maybealabia posted:

I'm glad you don't actually know or care about any poor people with health issues in marginal relationships who are just scraping by on this bitch of an earth

But I do

I am a poor person with mental health issues.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I am a poor person with mental health issues.

Well then I'm sorry you don't have an out of state friend who would pirate movies for you I guess

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

maybealabia posted:

Well then I'm sorry you don't have an out of state friend who would pirate movies for you I guess

I make enough money to pay for movies. Haven't pirated one for about 20 years. I respect the writers and actors enough to pay for it and can afford it. I hope one day you can do the same

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dixville posted:

I mean I pay for games that i end up barely playing, I'm not going to steal a game (unless you count pokemon rom hacks) because i want to support the person or people who made it, why is tv different? Like i get that you don't get a permanent copy of it and that is kinda annoying but i don't really like stealing things sorry i guess I'm a goody two shoes like that. I'm not saying I'm going to judge people who do it though especially if they actually can't afford it but I just personally don't like to not support entertainers with my own money. I feel like it's a show of respect for me but i can understand where others wouldn't see it that way. I pay for spotify too is that stupid too? Probably but I don't really care like it's fine i can afford it so whatever.

I'm telling Nintendo.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

It's all good man, download all those twenty year old games you want. As long as it isn't Nintendo, have at it

ok boomer

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I respect the writers and actors enough to pay for it and can afford it.

Are you sending them checks directly then, because in case you haven’t checked the news recently…

You’re just helping line the pockets of assholes.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I make enough money to pay for movies. Haven't pirated one for about 20 years. I respect the writers and actors enough to pay for it and can afford it. I hope one day you can do the same

Well the person I'm talking about is poor poor, like struggling to pay rent and eat and get basic healthcare. No home Internet.

I do pay for things as well, for myself. Which is why the thread OP keeps calling me an idiot.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm telling Nintendo.

Tell them to start making new pokemon games that don't suck. Thanks in advance. Oh and i actually have a switch and i still often buy the new games to see if maybe this time it'll not be bad, no luck so far but i will never give up on my quest for pokemon. Gotta buy em all!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

EL BROMANCE posted:

Are you sending them checks directly then, because in case you haven’t checked the news recently…

You’re just helping line the pockets of assholes.

You're not wrong but i am naive enough to still think it at least has the intent of supporting creative works. It's not my fault if people are being greedy with it. But i can see this side of it and i can respect that decision. Just pirating because you can just isn't for me.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

:jerkbag:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

One time a guy ranted to me about how unethical it was to buy knock-off lego because you were basically stealing and some posters itt remind me of that person

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

maybealabia posted:

Well the person I'm talking about is poor poor, like struggling to pay rent and eat and get basic healthcare. No home Internet.

I do pay for things as well, for myself. Which is why the thread OP keeps calling me an idiot.

you are an idiot, but, I get it. Steal what you can, ain't gonna hurt the companies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

PinheadSlim posted:

One time a guy ranted to me about how unethical it was to buy knock-off lego because you were basically stealing and some posters itt remind me of that person

You are stealing potential fun from yourself with inferior blocks