Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

when did I become the bad guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

maybealabia posted:

I pirate a lot of things to give to my close friend who is too poor to even pirate things because she doesn't have reliable or unlimited Internet

I just mailed a 64GB flash drive jam packed with stolen TV and movies. Two forever stamps well spent

this is good and nice

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dixville posted:

Tell them to start making new pokemon games that don't suck. Thanks in advance. Oh and i actually have a switch and i still often buy the new games to see if maybe this time it'll not be bad, no luck so far but i will never give up on my quest for pokemon. Gotta buy em all!

They sure taking there sweet rear end time shipping me the 3ds power adaptor ordered. Got me a 3ds new LL from Japan because my Steamdeck kept dropping slides in Elite Beat Agents.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Buce posted:

this is good and nice

no it isn't.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I respect the writers and actors enough to pay for it

Dixville posted:

i want to support the person or people who made it

let me tell you the first enemy you must defeat to consume media.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Duck and Cover posted:

They sure taking there sweet rear end time shipping me the 3ds power adaptor ordered. Got me a 3ds new LL from Japan because my Steamdeck kept dropping slides in Elite Beat Agents.

what in the gently caress is a 3ds? How old are you?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

you are an idiot, but, I get it. Steal what you can, ain't gonna hurt the companies

:pirate:

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

no it isn't.

Wait, seriously why?

Because I'm STEALING?

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

EL BROMANCE posted:

This does not describe a whole ton of legitimate services.

Yeah stuff like steam and netflix really paved the way for the idea that legitimate services can be more convenient and worth the value over piracy. Unfortunately, this lesson seems to have fallen on incredibly deaf ears.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Are you sending them checks directly then, because in case you haven’t checked the news recently…

You’re just helping line the pockets of assholes.

Choosing not to use the content distribution platforms that creators put their content on is one thing. Not using those platforms but consuming it anyway by stealing it helps no one but yourself. It’s not bread for your starving family. It’s creative output that you can absolutely live without if you don’t agree with the method of distributing that content.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

maybealabia posted:

Wait, seriously why?

Because I'm STEALING?

yes I am very concerned about the company line!
You better not take money from Walt Disney!

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I'm an American who lives overseas and it was a godsend when streaming actually got good and you could just easily watch whatever. Now it's not so good and they police the hell out of VPNs anyway so I guess I have to figure out whatever computer bipboop bullshit we're doing these days. I'm still happy to pay them but they don't want my money I guess.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lt. Cock posted:

Choosing not to use the content distribution platforms that creators put their content on is one thing. Not using those platforms but consuming it anyway by stealing it helps no one but yourself. It’s not bread for your starving family. It’s creative output that you can absolutely live without if you don’t agree with the method of distributing that content.

I find better and more direct ways to support the people whose work I enjoy.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I'm an American who lives overseas and it was a godsend when streaming actually got good and you could just easily watch whatever. Now it's not so good and they police the hell out of VPNs anyway so I guess I have to figure out whatever computer bipboop bullshit we're doing these days. I'm still happy to pay them but they don't want my money I guess.

but every video on youtube tells me that VPNs have no borders.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I venmo steve carell $0.15 every time i pirate an episode of the office. it’s not much but it’s an honest living

The Bible
May 8, 2010

You wouldn't download a car.

You couldn't. A car is not data.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Bible posted:

You couldn't. A car is not data.
Wait till you see my 3D printer!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Bible posted:

yeah I would

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The cybertruck looks like a car someone downloaded in 1994.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what in the gently caress is a 3ds? How old are you?

It's not the 2ds. Or the DS or the 3ds XL. It's the 3ds LL.. Or the dsi or... Anyway I had a Nintendo ds and stopped caring after that (I think, I maybe had the one right after the ds) but Nintendo kept making dual screen portable consoles. It's kind of a confusing mess.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 25, 2023

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Duck and Cover posted:

It's not the 2ds. Or the DS or the 3ds XL. It's the 3ds LL.. Or the dsi or... Anyway I had a Nintendo ds and stopped caring after that (I think I maybe had the one right after the ds) but Nintendo kept making dual screen portable consoles. It's kind of a confusing mess.

DSL was an internet thing last I checked
I didn't actually read what you said

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I just watch the MST3k channel on Tubi. It's not like there's anything else worth watching.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Definitely going to torrent this football game to watch sometime next week instead of streaming it live :dumbbravo:

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
I pay for these services so I can browse for 30 minutes and still not find anything interesting

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

BoonyPC posted:

I pay for these services so I can browse for 30 minutes and still not find anything interesting

:hmmyes:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Imagine paying money to willingly watch something as bad as the US The Office

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If people are pirating so much stuff how are you storing it? Are you buying NAS drives and stuff? I feel like that sort of monetary investment defeats the purpose and undermines the message people are trying to get at, but I can't see story many of your animes on a 512GB SSD tbh.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

syntaxfunction posted:

If people are pirating so much stuff how are you storing it? Are you buying NAS drives and stuff? I feel like that sort of monetary investment defeats the purpose and undermines the message people are trying to get at, but I can't see story many of your animes on a 512GB SSD tbh.

shut up Nerd

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

what are people even watching on streaming these days? i get paying for quality content, there just isn't any

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

shut up Nerd

It's a legit question, a lot of people are very proud of themselves for not paying for shows but if they've spent $300 on storage drives it means they've actually spent $300 on shows. And I know I spend less than $300 on streaming lol

If you factor in cost of equipment and time I've known a lot of people that would've spent less if they just subscribed to streaming services rather than build a media server. In fact that seems to be the most typical case in my experience.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
Dumb question, but is there some way to pirate sports stuff with zero commercials/marketing poo poo? Just like stitched together sports footage? I expect no way in hell this is available through a paid service, and I’d really like to get into some kind of sports watching, but every time I try the advertising is so off putting I end up giving up in disgust

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

but then you can sell those drives at a profit, because they're full of such valuable content

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

syntaxfunction posted:

It's a legit question, a lot of people are very proud of themselves for not paying for shows but if they've spent $300 on storage drives it means they've actually spent $300 on shows. And I know I spend less than $300 on streaming lol

If you factor in cost of equipment and time I've known a lot of people that would've spent less if they just subscribed to streaming services rather than build a media server. In fact that seems to be the most typical case in my experience.

shut up nerd

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Dumb question, but is there some way to pirate sports stuff with zero commercials/marketing poo poo?

Nothing live, that’ll just be clones of whatever streams the sports networks provide. After the fact you can get complete games with the commercials trimmed out, presumably again from legit sources but if not they’ll just trim those out by hand before releasing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Does watching tv over an antennae count as streaming?

If so, I stream Comet.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Hold on honey we can't watch our show yet, the server crashed. I need to reboot it and then we need about 30 minutes to re-download because there aren't enough seeds. Ah hold on the VPN tunnel needs to be re-established, that's gonna add some time.

What do you mean this sucks? Look at how much money I'm saving us!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

shut up nerd

This is why she left you, Mumpy :(

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

syntaxfunction posted:

This is why she left you, Mumpy :(

poo poo happens then we live through it

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Raere posted:

Hold on honey we can't watch our show yet, the server crashed. I need to reboot it and then we need about 30 minutes to re-download because there aren't enough seeds. Ah hold on the VPN tunnel needs to be re-established, that's gonna add some time.

What do you mean this sucks? Look at how much money I'm saving us!
Yeah there’s a fair amount of that with any self-hosted setup, but for the radarr/sonarr/etc scheme, it’s shockingly low-maintenance once running. You don’t even have to do anything, new episodes just pop into Plex once they’re available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Depends how many different channels you want to watch, $300 in drives could easily pay for itself over streaming in a year if you need 3 different services.

They're cheaper in the long run easily even if you only paid for one service.