Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

poo poo happens then we live through it

So true, and yet, a harsh truth, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

So true, and yet, a harsh truth, yes?

yep

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

And yet still, we live, and move on.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Grey Cat posted:

Depends how many different channels you want to watch, $300 in drives could easily pay for itself over streaming in a year if you need 3 different services.

They're cheaper in the long run easily even if you only paid for one service.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. But if you only subscribe to Netflix (for some reason) then it's actually a really bad value proposition. If you built a prefer media server then that's even more money that you need to get the return on. The amount of stuff I watch makes piracy a cost with storage needs.

I'm also one of those weirdos who will subscribe to something for a month, then immediately cancel it so I just have the month because I know I probably won't use it for another year. So my streaming costs are like maybe $100 a year maybe (high end estimate), which is fine and dandy.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

And yet still, we live, and move on.

it takes a village

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Raere posted:

Hold on honey we can't watch our show yet, the server crashed. I need to reboot it and then we need about 30 minutes to re-download because there aren't enough seeds. Ah hold on the VPN tunnel needs to be re-established, that's gonna add some time.

What do you mean this sucks? Look at how much money I'm saving us!

Yeah if you're watching a TV show for the first time or the instant a copy is up then streaming might be the way to go but if you're doing that you're a weirdo.

What's with all the chuckle dumbs thinking it's about saving money. Just constant dumb fucks incapable of understanding how terrible streaming is probably because they spend money on it monthly and don't want to admit that it's worse than just downloading poo poo. It's okay I get it I'm smarter and value my time/money more than you do which is very sad indeed.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

syntaxfunction posted:

Yeah that's what I was getting at. But if you only subscribe to Netflix (for some reason) then it's actually a really bad value proposition. If you built a prefer media server then that's even more money that you need to get the return on. The amount of stuff I watch makes piracy a cost with storage needs.

I'm also one of those weirdos who will subscribe to something for a month, then immediately cancel it so I just have the month because I know I probably won't use it for another year. So my streaming costs are like maybe $100 a year maybe (high end estimate), which is fine and dandy.

I play enough games and do enough computer work the storage is going to get used anyways but I can understand if that isn't the case for someone then it's definitely cheaper to stream.
If you're fine replacing drives all the time though HDD's are super cheap in bulk these days which can easily out perform cost wise. Downside is you're doing disks so it's slow as hell to write and read and can struggle with bigger single file sizes.
Pros and Cons I guess.

E: I've thought of setting up a big raid just for a media server because honestly using my PC, even if it has 6TB of storage, isn't really great long term as I slowly fill it up...

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 25, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Free Space Total Space
5.1 TB 36.7 TB

No I don't have a problem. Well I do and it's not having enough space. I could be downloading full quality blu ray rips.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 25, 2023

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

but every video on youtube tells me that VPNs have no borders.

They worked with Netflix until sometime this year. Now if it sees a VPN it just gives you access to whatever they have worldwide rights too.

Prime and Hulu just lock you out entirely and have for a few years. Hulu won't even let you log into your account so you can cancel your subscription.

Not sure about the other services, but the trend is definitely against VPNs.

And I'm pretty sure they're just subscribing to a bunch of VPN services themselves and collecting the IP addresses. Cause I don't have a DNS leak. So really not anything you can do about it.

VPNs are good for a lot of stuff but watching foreign TV isn't really one of them anymore.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Trying to watch a foreign film released two years ago and literally no torrent of it exists. The rental on iTunes is $5 but it's for a 720p "HD" stream (lmao). So I'm exploring buying the drat disc. The disc is fine -- it's $20, whatever. But then I realize a Blu-ray drive or player are both clusterfucks involving region lock, a thousand different features and also the risk of mechanical failure. The go-to player everyone recommends is the Panasonic UB820. It costs $400.

It's been a long time since I consumed physical media but god drat they still don't make it easy enough

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

maybealabia posted:

If you can trivially afford it, using a real service is much easier, especially while password sharing continues to work

I fully support piracy for the poor and for the services your barely use

Lol there are services I pay for that are so bad I often end up just watching on a free streaming sites.

This isn't like the days when you needed to do some nerd poo poo and fumble around with VPNs and usenet and torrents find torrents and poo poo. gently caress all that.

now you just go to the streaming site and search or just click the picture of the show on the home page you want to watch. Anything new people are watching lately will be right on the front page and it's simple to find everything else. It's as easy as Netflix or Hulu except it has all the shows and movies.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

maybealabia posted:

If you can trivially afford it, using a real service is much easier, especially while password sharing continues to work

hard disagree. We pay for Hulu plus 1-2 other services at any given point; 99% of what I watch and anything the kids watch outside of PBS apps comes from Plex.

There's way too many movies, shows and especially music that I want streaming access to which isn't available on any platform (or is from Bandcamp whose app sucks) for me to not run my own server, and this has the added benefit of keeping my kids away from the viral-engagement hole that YouTube excels at and all the platforms do to some extent.

I would love it if this were not the case because the cost & complexity of keeping a plex server resourced, updated and in sync with the media I own on bandcamp etc is time I could otherwise spend touching synthesizers or smoking weed. I think I spent four hundred bucks this year replacing the old plex server with a mini PC and a new 6TB HDD to replace the one we kilt.

Khanstant posted:

now you just go to the streaming site and search or just click the picture of the show on the home page you want to watch. Anything new people are watching lately will be right on the front page and it's simple to find everything else. It's as easy as Netflix or Hulu except it has all the shows and movies.
I have very limited experience with such sites; in about 2010, a housemate we had at the time managed to get several PCs on the network infected from some streaming site bullshit.

But, for me, the problem is that I want 24/7 access to a specifically curated set of media that sprawls across a diaspora of services that way pay for plus poo poo I've just pirated because it's more or less impossible to find, or requires me to buy physical media from abroad (L'il Quinquin and Moominvalley were both in this state a year ago, and the 1980s Moomin cartoon was not findable at all outside of torrent sites; since then, YoutubeTV actually added all the old episodes of the cartoon, and I quickly paid for a month and leeched it all before they disappear it again because I don't even know where they ripped it from, they're missing some episodes and stuff but most of it is very good looking 360p)

I hate computers and servers and running poo poo but I run my own plex server because it's better than not doing that :rolleye:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 25, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://www.discogs.com/release/327958-Pig-A-Poke-In-The-EyeWith-A-Sharp-Stick

here's another good example of this. I own this on vinyl. If I want to listen to it digitally right now, my options appear to be a single-video whole-album rip in relatively low quality on youtube, or spending $45 on the CD and ripping it myself. This is a spectacular album that is the freshman release from someone who is still active and releasing new music on all the platforms; the old stuff is mired in copyright bullshit and impossible to reprint.

Maddeningly, I definitely had good rips of this at some point in the past 20 years and may even have owned the CD, but, here we are. At some point I will probably buy and rip.

edit: this post sent me down a rabbit hole, and I did indeed find :files: -- ripped from vinyl. And Praise the Lard is unavailable anywhere I looked and CD copies are fifty bucks for the lovely IP-infriging reprint that's basically just bootleg CDs via the (old, defunct) euro-printing loophole.

Everything is awful and commercial streaming services are great until the moment you want to access something which is slightly outside the mainstream and Just Not Licensed Anywhere, and then they are unhelpful things that cost money without solving all the problems you want them to.

I think my local VHS store growing up, generally, had a wider spread of non-mainstream poo poo than any of the big streaming sites.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 25, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

hard disagree. We pay for Hulu plus 1-2 other services at any given point; 99% of what I watch and anything the kids watch outside of PBS apps comes from Plex.

There's way too many movies, shows and especially music that I want streaming access to which isn't available on any platform (or is from Bandcamp whose app sucks) for me to not run my own server, and this has the added benefit of keeping my kids away from the viral-engagement hole that YouTube excels at and all the platforms do to some extent.

I would love it if this were not the case because the cost & complexity of keeping a plex server resourced, updated and in sync with the media I own on bandcamp etc is time I could otherwise spend touching synthesizers or smoking weed. I think I spent four hundred bucks this year replacing the old plex server with a mini PC and a new 6TB HDD to replace the one we kilt.

I have very limited experience with such sites; in about 2010, a housemate we had at the time managed to get several PCs on the network infected from some streaming site bullshit.

But, for me, the problem is that I want 24/7 access to a specifically curated set of media that sprawls across a diaspora of services that way pay for plus poo poo I've just pirated because it's more or less impossible to find, or requires me to buy physical media from abroad (L'il Quinquin and Moominvalley were both in this state a year ago, and the 1980s Moomin cartoon was not findable at all outside of torrent sites; since then, YoutubeTV actually added all the old episodes of the cartoon, and I quickly paid for a month and leeched it all before they disappear it again because I don't even know where they ripped it from, they're missing some episodes and stuff but most of it is very good looking 360p)

I hate computers and servers and running poo poo but I run my own plex server because it's better than not doing that :rolleye:

Blablabla normal people watch normal shows and this isn't 2010 I'm pretty sure they don't even make computer virus anymore wtf

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Lt. Cock posted:

Choosing not to use the content distribution platforms that creators put their content on is one thing. Not using those platforms but consuming it anyway by stealing it helps no one but yourself. It’s not bread for your starving family. It’s creative output that you can absolutely live without if you don’t agree with the method of distributing that content.

I work in video streaming. Just lol @ you as I blow $1000 at a restaurant the weekend after applying 6 different kinds of DRM to an entire content catalog.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

AKA Pseudonym posted:

They worked with Netflix until sometime this year. Now if it sees a VPN it just gives you access to whatever they have worldwide rights too.

Prime and Hulu just lock you out entirely and have for a few years. Hulu won't even let you log into your account so you can cancel your subscription.

Not sure about the other services, but the trend is definitely against VPNs.

And I'm pretty sure they're just subscribing to a bunch of VPN services themselves and collecting the IP addresses. Cause I don't have a DNS leak. So really not anything you can do about it.

VPNs are good for a lot of stuff but watching foreign TV isn't really one of them anymore.

There are companies that make all their money generating data about IPs and they typically subscribe to one of them or even hire a 3rd party who has done this and offers services tailored around video streaming for it.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

This is a weird thing to have a strong opinion about

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Grem posted:

This is a weird thing to have a strong opinion about

This makes me angry 😡

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lt. Cock posted:

Choosing not to use the content distribution platforms that creators put their content on is one thing. Not using those platforms but consuming it anyway by stealing it helps no one but yourself. It’s not bread for your starving family. It’s creative output that you can absolutely live without if you don’t agree with the method of distributing that content.

On the other hand, art that can be freely reproduced is expressly owed to you as an inalienable entitlement stemming from being born at all. You also are not obligated to support capitalist machine at all times and are deducted points for each time you do. Watching a show you are owed for free is a net positive while purchasing anything from Disney for any reason is negative.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Khanstant posted:

On the other hand, art that can be freely reproduced is expressly owed to you as an inalienable entitlement stemming from being born at all. You also are not obligated to support capitalist machine at all times and are deducted points for each time you do. Watching a show you are owed for free is a net positive while purchasing anything from Disney for any reason is negative.

a strong take

:hmmyes:

you do realize, though, that if everyone did this, Disney wouldn't be able to sponsor fascism and regressive IP laws anymore? I mean, assuming people also found some way to pirate their theme parks and and and

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Blablabla normal people watch normal shows and this isn't 2010 I'm pretty sure they don't even make computer virus anymore wtf

"malware" encompasses a lot of different attack vectors at this point, many of which are social in origin. The world has gotten somewhat better at preventing new malware infections, even as the total number of infected devices continues to reach a new all time high every day, and looking at the materialist causes for that, ransomware and malware have never been more profitable, so, the viruses will continue until opsec improves :shrug:

(GData Cyber Defense is the source here)

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 25, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I mean, assuming people also found some way to pirate their theme parks and and and

I got the first part down at least, a good combination of living only a few hours away from the park and having a good friend who worked for the company but lives thousands of miles away and gets a bunch of passes a year.

One day I’ll work out the ‘actually being at Disney and not spending money’ bit, drat you Epcot.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
If you don't want to stream, most municipal library systems have pretty large DVD and BluRay catalogs. Current stuff, not just nature documentaries from the 80s.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Do you have a more recent source than over a decade ago?

Starting a media server sounds neat and all but don't know if I want to use my old PC for it since I hate leaving it on all the time and it's too drat bulky for regular use in my living room. How much would it cost to buy/build a media server from scratch? Can I get a Raspberry Pi or something or do I need a dedicated rig? Mainly curious how cheap it would be to build a media server from scratch.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mega64 posted:

Do you have a more recent source than over a decade ago?

Starting a media server sounds neat and all but don't know if I want to use my old PC for it since I hate leaving it on all the time and it's too drat bulky for regular use in my living room. How much would it cost to buy/build a media server from scratch? Can I get a Raspberry Pi or something or do I need a dedicated rig? Mainly curious how cheap it would be to build a media server from scratch.

https://trash-guides.info/

These days for a media server you just want a cheap Intel based mini pc that’s got a recent enough i5 processor so it can do QuickSync and you’re golden. Yes you can run things on a Pi but unless you’re doing it for the fun of seeing how lofi you can go (we have one poster that’s very into this so might be willing to help you) just spend a bit more on a real machine. Something with low power draw and the ability to connect a bunch of drives to, usually via NAS or DAS but a lot of people start with a few big external drives (something like WD Easystores as you can easily pull the bare drives out in the future unlike most).

My personal setup is a Mac Mini with 2 DAS enclosures connected to it, it’s small and doesn’t draw much power and has 100TB of storage. It sure beats the hundreds and hundreds of DVDs and Blu-rays I left behind when I emigrated.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

"malware" encompasses a lot of different attack vectors at this point, many of which are social in origin. The world has gotten somewhat better at preventing new malware infections, even as the total number of infected devices continues to reach a new all time high every day, and looking at the materialist causes for that, ransomware and malware have never been more profitable, so, the viruses will continue until opsec improves :shrug:

(GData Cyber Defense is the source here)

Yeah so I don't suggest anyone go fiddling with weird crap anymore, leave that to your friend who is really into their plex and poo poo. while I'll happily text people the Goku link since they don't gotta do anything besides mash play on the triangle of the show they wanna watch. That's at least safer than giving your email and credit card info to a paid streaming service because they will absolutely both lose and sell that information.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i have plex on my computer but it doesn't work too well on my TV? I don't know a lot about this poo poo and I'm probably doing something wrong. This TRaSH guide is interesting. I'm getting closer and closer to getting back into nerd poo poo because I just can't take the monetization and enshittification and ads anymore. Here's my only question:

Does Plex not work well because it's the same PC I use for regular poo poo like videogames and posting? Do I need a dedicated server PC or is it just because Xfinity sucks balls?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t play games on my Mac (because it’s a Mac) but I do do everything on it, it’s often encoding video while I browse poo poo, have a ton of processes running, have friends streaming etc. Xfinity shouldn’t be involved unless the data is leaving your local network before it gets to your TV client. Ideally you want it to say it’s direct playing or direct streaming, if not your computer is likely working harder than it needs to be.

Often like the Netflix, Prime clients etc on your tv stop getting updated and lag behind and that’s the same with Plex. Sometimes they can be ok for a while but whether you’re doing legit or not so legit stuff, using a dedicated box like a Roku, AppleTV etc is generally smoother.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Dumb question, but is there some way to pirate sports stuff with zero commercials/marketing poo poo? Just like stitched together sports footage? I expect no way in hell this is available through a paid service, and I’d really like to get into some kind of sports watching, but every time I try the advertising is so off putting I end up giving up in disgust

I have friends who follow NASCAR, and there is an international feed based out of Abu Dhabi that you can get pirate streams for that doesn't do commercials. When the US stream goes to commercial break, the international stream sticks to the race and you just get 30-60 seconds of track noise and no commentary. It makes me wish/hope that US football somehow gets popular in the UAE, too.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i have plex on my computer but it doesn't work too well on my TV? I don't know a lot about this poo poo and I'm probably doing something wrong. This TRaSH guide is interesting. I'm getting closer and closer to getting back into nerd poo poo because I just can't take the monetization and enshittification and ads anymore. Here's my only question:

Does Plex not work well because it's the same PC I use for regular poo poo like videogames and posting? Do I need a dedicated server PC or is it just because Xfinity sucks balls?

It's partly because Xfinity sucks balls, but my Plex streaming experience improved exponentially as soon as I bought an Nvidia Shield and connected an SSD directly to it. Definitely recommend going with a dedicated device if you can. A Raspberry Pi is fine if you're good with that sort of thing (I'm not) and you can actually find one available for purchase (I couldn't).

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

stream deez nuts

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

It makes me wish/hope that US football somehow gets popular in the UAE, too.

does not work though. nothing happens for poo poo during the ad breaks in NFL. i used to edit clean feeds (like you're describing with nascar) and dirty feeds (covered in advertising) for new zealand sports tv. We'd remove all ad breaks and the branded content that was irrelevant and not paid for in NZ and end up with like 50-70 minutes of coverage. not just play, but actual commentated coverage including rear end slapping, coach chats etc between downs. sometimes there was a literally 40 second long segment of coverage between 2 ad breaks where the ball did not enter play.

the clean feed is not what you want. you need some fans to do cutdowns and watch on a delay. or live in NZ and watch one random game every month

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

the clean feed is not what you want. you need some fans to do cutdowns and watch on a delay. or live in NZ and watch one random game every month

I'd really just be happy with no commercials. I don't care that there aren't any plays happening or commentary going on, I just don't want to have to reach for the remote and mute the TV as often as I have to when watching a game.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

(NFL) Unless things have changed in the last ten years, the games that stream on Sky Sports still have some ad breaks but they used to cut to their own studio a lot of the time to discuss the game, other stuff going on around the league.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
It must suck being so poor that a streaming service bill actually matters to you. Sorry that you're broke OP

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Black Sunshine posted:

It must suck being so poor that a streaming service bill actually matters to you. Sorry that you're broke OP

Yes we get it you want to pay for a shittier service and hope that if you're loud enough and go LOL POOR you'll somehow have not spent money on a shittier experience. You have though and while that's sad it's not nearly as sad as trying to defend it on the internet. It's okay you aren't alone there's many idiots in this thread who also like to brag that they are idiots.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I'm definitely an idiot in several ways but setting up and maintaining all the poo poo people talk about itt to end up still never getting live programming sounds like a "worse experience" to me than using a mix of some downloading and some streaming as I do now

Maybe your preferences aren't universal 🤔

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

Yes we get it you want to pay for a shittier service and hope that if you're loud enough and go LOL POOR you'll somehow have not spent money on a shittier experience. You have though and while that's sad it's not nearly as sad as trying to defend it on the internet. It's okay you aren't alone there's many idiots in this thread who also like to brag that they are idiots.

I'd probably be this upset about how people choose to spend their pocket change if I was poor too.

Goondolences

Thoughts and prayers

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Pretty sweet meltdown thread btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Black Sunshine posted:

I'd probably be this upset about how people choose to spend their pocket change if I was poor too.

Goondolences

Thoughts and prayers

Duck and Cover posted:

I guess having more money makes you better? So how many million united state dollars worth of currency do you have? Come on whip it out we all want to be impressed.

Besides it's about convenience for me but I guess you're too dumb to realize that even after I tell you but please do share we all want to be amazed at how wealthy Richie Rich here has the time to hang out with us peasants.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 29, 2023