Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

maybealabia posted:

I'm definitely an idiot in several ways but setting up and maintaining all the poo poo people talk about itt to end up still never getting live programming sounds like a "worse experience" to me than using a mix of some downloading and some streaming as I do now

Maybe your preferences aren't universal 🤔

There’s a few counters to this…

* outside of sports and news, does anyone watch much first run live tv anymore? Even if you have regular cable, isn’t 99% of it background TV and the new programming trends to get watched on demand or on DVR. The ratings data reflects that the world is not sitting down at 9pm to watch Lost anymore, and most of the streaming providers don’t even offer live tv services and the ones that do are just as expensive and poo poo as regular cable because it’s the same people behind it all.

* antennas are free, and brings down the main channels people actually watch in better quality than cable/streaming services and integrates perfectly well into the software we use with full DVR (that edits out commercials)

* if live tv really is your jam you can just pay for an IPTV service that’s gonna have waaaaaaay more choice than you can legally get in one package in whatever country you’re in because they’re not constantly in rights disputes or involved in exclusivity clauses. My EPG is customized to mix my local channels through an antenna, pseudo live TV channels from my own content, UK channels for when I miss home, US cable channels for background poo poo, and then pretty much every major sports game from the best providers of them.

I won’t pretend that last point is easier than going legit, but CJing it is kinda fun for me so I don’t mind. Last time I had cable I didn’t watch a single thing for 5 months as I waited for my contract to end as all I watched on it previously was SNL and hockey. Hundreds of $ essentially thrown away, now if I don’t watch anything it’s no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Duck and Cover posted:

Besides it's about convivence for me but I guess you're too dumb to realize that even after I tell you but please do share we all want to be amazed at how wealthy Richie Rich here has the time to hang out with us peasants.

It really wouldn't be convenient for me to have to deal with kids being pissed because they can't find the newest episode of whatever the gently caress they're watching that week. For that reason alone, it's worth just having everything wrapped up in a user friendly interface. Your idea of convenience isn't universal for everyone. If I was still single and didn't have a family then I'd probably still be pirating just for the novelty of it. But alas, WDMA is dead and kids ruin everything.

I'm not rich at all but like $50 a month doesn't mean poo poo to me which makes me feel for you considering how immensely angry you are about my discretionary income. Would you prefer that I spend it on internet approved things like Bad Dragon dildos? If you set up a go fund me, I'd be happy to chip in for an A++ streaming experience or a cup of coffee.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I mean the point is everyone's use case is different.

I know plenty of people that watch shows live, this website has tons of live posting chat over in the TV forum

EL BROMANCE posted:

* antennas are free, and brings down the main channels people actually watch in better quality than cable/streaming services

I used to use a tiny antenna and get great reception but now I live in a valley between two mountains and get jack poo poo

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

maybealabia posted:

I mean the point is everyone's use case is different.

I know plenty of people that watch shows live, this website has tons of live posting chat over in the TV forum

I’m a regular in TV IV and the live posting has gone from needing a thread per episode because it was so rampant, to one thread happily covering 5 seasons of a shows run. That aspect of posting is essentially dead, except for Sports Argument Stadium where it’s still hugely popular (to prove it isn’t an ‘SA is dead in general’ thing).

quote:

I used to use a tiny antenna and get great reception but now I live in a valley between two mountains and get jack poo poo

That sucks and shouldn’t be allowed. In a good reality local tv over IP and basic internet access should just be a thing that exists with no barrier to entry.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
You Goons in the US had no idea how good you have it with using an antenna for channels. I know most of the sub channels are reruns but I'd love to have that in Canada. Unless you live in one of the 5 Canadian major cities, you're only getting 1, maybe 2 TV stations. More if you post an antenna about 50 feet over your roof.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Bonzo posted:

You Goons in the US had no idea how good you have it with using an antenna for channels.

All US terrestrial broadcast has been digital since 2009

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Black Sunshine posted:

It really wouldn't be convenient for me to have to deal with kids being pissed because they can't find the newest episode of whatever the gently caress they're watching that week. For that reason alone, it's worth just having everything wrapped up in a user friendly interface. Your idea of convenience isn't universal for everyone. If I was still single and didn't have a family then I'd probably still be pirating just for the novelty of it. But alas, WDMA is dead and kids ruin everything.

I'm not rich at all but like $50 a month doesn't mean poo poo to me which makes me feel for you considering how immensely angry you are about my discretionary income. Would you prefer that I spend it on internet approved things like Bad Dragon dildos? If you set up a go fund me, I'd be happy to chip in for an A++ streaming experience or a cup of coffee.

So first you attack me for how poor you think I am (lol) then you go on to state how your children aren't smart enough to pirate? You blame them for your failure to teach? Wow just wow. Just amazing.

Bad Dragon Dildos are probably overpriced, like they're the name brand so I suspect you can get an equally quality product for less.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 29, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

let's not get crazy here, a dildo is a great value at any price

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Black Sunshine posted:

Sorry about your lovely kids who can't handle not seeing their TV show

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Duck and Cover posted:

So first you attack me for how poor you think I am (lol) then you go on to state how your children aren't smart enough to pirate? You blame them for your failure to teach? Wow just wow. Just amazing.

Bad Dragon Dildos are probably overpriced, like they're the named brand so I suspect you can get an equally quality product for less.
You initiated the attack by assuming that anyone not pirating is only doing it due to lack of intellect which is just absurd. I was pirating media when you were still pissing the bed, my use case has simply changed over time. Hopefully you've stopped pissing the bed because I don't want to have to feel bad that you're broke AND you sleep in your own piss every night.

Khanstant posted:

Sorry about your lovely kids who can't handle not seeing their TV show

yes because children are known for being calm and rational when they don't get things that they want...

also, maybe I just want my kids to be happy and chill and leave me the gently caress alone and not have to deal with dumb poo poo like "daddy the plex app crashed again because it's a piece of poo poo"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bonzo posted:

You Goons in the US had no idea how good you have it with using an antenna for channels. I know most of the sub channels are reruns but I'd love to have that in Canada. Unless you live in one of the 5 Canadian major cities, you're only getting 1, maybe 2 TV stations. More if you post an antenna about 50 feet over your roof.

I get the 4 main channels via antenna, AND a station called Comet. Stargate and Buffy!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Black Sunshine posted:

You initiated the attack by assuming that anyone not pirating is only doing it due to lack of intellect which is just absurd. I was pirating media when you were still pissing the bed, my use case has simply changed over time. Hopefully you've stopped pissing the bed because I don't want to have to feel bad that you're broke AND you sleep in your own piss every night.

yes because children are known for being calm and rational when they don't get things that they want...

also, maybe I just want my kids to be happy and chill and leave me the gently caress alone and not have to deal with dumb poo poo like "daddy the plex app crashed again because it's a piece of poo poo"

I don't tend to find people stating facts an attack on my character but maybe I'm weird. Your children can't troubleshoot Plex? Well that's actually normal but they should at the very least know how to download using a VPN this is basic life skills. You have failed them. You have failed us. Most importantly you have failed me.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't tend to find people stating facts an attack on my character but maybe I'm weird. Your children can't troubleshoot Plex? Well that's actually normal but they should at the very least know how to download using a VPN this is basic life skills. You have failed them. You have failed us. Most importantly you have failed me.

Read this whole post as Stephen Colberts character from Strangers With Candy

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Your poverty may have broken your brain OP

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Your poverty may have broken your brain OP

loving POORS SHUT THE gently caress UP IM AMULTI MILLIONAIRE HOW DARE YOU TALK TO ME I WORKED HARD BY INHERITING MONEY AND LEAVING IT IN INVESTMENTS FUUUUUCK YOU HOW DARE YOU!

Anyway it's pretty simple. Sonarr equipped nas user > public tracker with vpn> dvd blu-ray hoarder > streaming television weirdo. If you're using a tape drive gently caress you I'm jealous I can't justify the cost/effort.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 29, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm not doing tech support or maintenance in my free time just for some tv shows. That's loving weird. Just convince yourself the shows weren't worth watching and give up on it all imo.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm not doing tech support or maintenance in my free time just for some tv shows. That's loving weird. Just convince yourself the shows weren't worth watching and give up on it all imo.

it is realllllyyyy not that bad though

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

syntaxfunction posted:

The cool thing about that is that you are going to be right 99% of the time.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Junk posted:

it is realllllyyyy not that bad though

"Really not that bad" is still more effort than I want to put in for shows. "Just download a thing and then get a thing" is already too much work. I am fine using my friend's Plex servers but I'm not maintaining one lol. If I lost access to them I'd say "oh well."

And not much effort isn't really different to not much money really :shrug:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
dont need any of that dumb poo poo when all you watch is youtube

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

syntaxfunction posted:

"Really not that bad" is still more effort than I want to put in for shows. "Just download a thing and then get a thing" is already too much work. I am fine using my friend's Plex servers but I'm not maintaining one lol. If I lost access to them I'd say "oh well."

youre an adult making a choice and i respect your decision derails are dumb

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Slap fights between stingy nerds and multi millionaires are also dumb tho maybe consider this is all dumb

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

Slap fights between stingy nerds and multi millionaires are also dumb tho maybe consider this is all dumb

MrQwerty posted:

this is a thread for yelling at people for not doing things the way you do them

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Oh. In that case you're all idiots for either paying for shows or setting up some nerd poo poo for it instead of just looking into people's windows and asking them to put on something you like and please turn it up so you can hear,

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
more like lol watching TV

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

syntaxfunction posted:

Oh. In that case you're all idiots for either paying for shows or setting up some nerd poo poo for it instead of just looking into people's windows and asking them to put on something you like and please turn it up so you can hear,

one time i was walking around with my cousin at night, and we saw a tv flickering in someone's front room, knocked on the door and without any greeting, said to the stranger "what're you watching" and then went in and watched the last two thirds of American History X in some random guy's living room.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Paying for services comes with a TV watching mentality. You will just find something to watch.

When you could be watching something you actually want to watch, or doing anything else. Having to put in the slightest amount of effort in one area reflects on the other.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Netflix was great in 2008 when no one gave a poo poo about streaming and it was totally worth dropping cable/satellite entirely. Now that every media owner under the sun has their own crappy streaming service with a catalog consisting of 0.1% things you might want to watch vs 99.9% garbage, who can care anymore?

Just remember the three Ps
Plex
PBS Passport
Powered antenna

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

maybealabia posted:

I pirate a lot of things to give to my close friend who is too poor to even pirate things because she doesn't have reliable or unlimited Internet

I just mailed a 64GB flash drive jam packed with stolen TV and movies. Two forever stamps well spent

this is an incredibly cool thing that you're doing and gently caress anyone who tells you otherwise.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Thankfully I'm the exact kind of nerd who loves to tinker with servers and VPNs and Usenet so this sounds pretty good

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

GetDunked posted:

Thankfully I'm the exact kind of nerd who loves to tinker with servers and VPNs and Usenet so this sounds pretty good

I'm not and I still did it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Once again you just go to an illegal streaming site and use it exactly like Netflix except it has all the shows and movies. There's no downloading. There's no getting a VPN involved. There's no fiddling with anything. You don't even make an account. It's easier than paid sites like I'm not sure how much easier they could possibly make it.

I have one I use lately but there's a ton of them and they're basically interchangeable. But I don't think you ever need to do that much. I just tested 3 shows in google of Showname Watch Free and the top results on all of them were different equivalent sites where you can click picture of episode and start streaming it immediately.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Been streaming the Mandolinorian. Pretty good.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
Dunno who needs to hear this but you don’t need to bother with VPN if you’re only using Usenet

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

shazbot posted:

Dunno who needs to hear this but you don’t need to bother with VPN if you’re only using Usenet

Yep. VPN is for public torrents.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

numberoneposter posted:

Been streaming the Mandolinorian. Pretty good.

A fun example as that show famously crashed Disney+ so the paying customers couldn’t watch it when it first came out.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I've been watching this show called The Newsreader. It's an Australian show that stars Ana Torv (from Fringe) as a news anchor during the late 80s. It's really good and isn't on ( that I know of) any North American services

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Crickey mate I started watching Kath and Kim.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I've been watching this show called The Newsreader. It's an Australian show that stars Ana Torv (from Fringe) as a news anchor during the late 80s. It's really good and isn't on ( that I know of) any North American services

I am so glad I found a community of people whos entire purpose in life is to pirate Oceanianian TV shows. Season 2 of Guy Montgomery's Guy Mont Spelling-Bee can't come fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Streaming tv was pretty great up until everyone had the bright idea that if they themselves were the streaming tv, they could have ALL the money