Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Trees of Mystery, Klamath, CA

The redwoods are legit cool, but the real draw for middle school me was the giant Paul Bunyan statue. There's a speaker in him so an employee in the gift shop can pretend to be Paul Bunyan and talk to guests, and I was a nerdy kid who was very well-versed in my Bunyan lore so I kept asking him trivia questions that he didn't have the answers to.

"Hey, what was the name of your friend who made the horseshoes for Babe the Blue Ox?"
"Oh, his name was, uh, you know, his name isn't important. The important thing is that he was a good friend who was always helping me like a good friend should."

ive been there when on a road trip. my favorite part was finding out that klamath wasn't just a place they made up for fallout 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Nap Ghost

Chief McHeath posted:

i got lost for like 45 minutes in a ron jon surf shop while i was tripping off acid it was terrible

well, that was the coolest thing I have ever heard anyone say

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The Big Merino, in Goulbourn NSW.

You can climb up and look out the sheep's eye.

Also you can park your car just behind it'd big concrete balls.

Which is a plus.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
OP's Mom

Clearly had seen better days and did not live up to the advertising, but she sure did try her hardest.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Nap Ghost

Speleothing posted:

OP's Mom

Clearly had seen better days and did not live up to the advertising, but she sure did try her hardest.

OPs mom had huge balls

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Chief McHeath posted:

i got lost for like 45 minutes in a ron jon surf shop while i was tripping off acid it was terrible

lmao

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The redwoods are legit cool, but the real draw for middle school me was the giant Paul Bunyan statue. There's a speaker in him so an employee in the gift shop can pretend to be Paul Bunyan and talk to guests, and I was a nerdy kid who was very well-versed in my Bunyan lore so I kept asking him trivia questions that he didn't have the answers to.

"Hey, what was the name of your friend who made the horseshoes for Babe the Blue Ox?"
"Oh, his name was, uh, you know, his name isn't important. The important thing is that he was a good friend who was always helping me like a good friend should."

you became the tourist trap

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Szyznyk posted:

The World’s Largest Knife store rules but that might be in Seviersville. But I loved every tacky, trashy thing there from the Shoney’s buffet breakfast to getting my picture taken with both the General Lee and the Bandit 1.

shoulda ate at the pancake atrium

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Surprised at how many of these places that have been posted I've visited. Anyway, here are the ones that come to my mind:

National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame - Hayward, WI

There is a giant fiberglass muskie that you can walk into and look out of the observation deck build into it's jaw.

Mustard Museum - Middleton, WI

Founded by a lawyer who got sick of being a lawyer. It's half museum half gift shop (admission is free)

Ellwood Historical Barb Wire Museum - DeKalb, Il

It's a museum of barb wire in a house that was owned by a barb wire tycoon

Glidden Historical Barb Wire Museum - DeKalb, Il

Yes there are two of them, this house was owned by the other barb wire tycoon

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what is bandit 1?

The Trans Am from Smokey and the Bandit. Redneck heaven.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Chief McHeath posted:

thats a cool story and funny ty for sharing

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Did the barb wire tycoons have a bitter barb wire rivalry

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

shoulda ate at the pancake atrium

My family are lazy pieces of crap and would never wake up early enough to go to the good breakfast places. So it’s Shoney’s or some scrub food from the mountain coaster gift shop.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Nap Ghost
so this is for sure a Sam and Max Hit the Road thread.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Extra Large Marge posted:

Mustard Museum - Middleton, WI

Founded by a lawyer who got sick of being a lawyer. It's half museum half gift shop (admission is free)

Ok, that one rules, that's the kind of small business move I can get behind.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ok, that one rules, that's the kind of small business move I can get behind.

I also like computer generated images

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I also like computer generated images

:confused: That one's real, it has a website and everything

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I have been to Mount Rushmore in real life, but I didn't do any bungee jumping there

Also it took me way too long in life to realize that Snuckey's gas stations were a parody of an actual chain Stuckey's, and now whenever I see a Stuckey's I wanna go in to get a pecan log

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 25, 2023

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

:confused: That one's real, it has a website and everything

that poo poo looks like AI made it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Nap Ghost

HJE-Cobra posted:

I have been to Mount Rushmore in real life, but I didn't do any bungee jumping there

Also it took me way too long in life to realize that Snuckey's gas stations were a parody of an actual chain Stuckey's, and now whenever I see a Stuckey's I wanna go in to get a pecan log

me too brother. Snuckys was just a joke, until it wasn't

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

i highly recommend the Celebrity Vegetable Museum in Goatliver, TX

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Truth or Consequences Alien Museum

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Always liked how the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD has onion domes

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

In Boston there's a property called 'Paul Reverse house'. Once on the tour they reveal that although Paul Revere owned the house, he didn't actually occupy it for any substantial amount of time. So you're basically paying to visit a property that an early American leader was just a landlord of.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

"lawrence welk show" perfect

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Nap Ghost

loving Mitchell who would have guessed

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

The biggest ball of twine caught me by surprise but the National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame really got me on the ropes. It instantly reminded me of the World of Fish

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Wall Drug, super lame and underwhelming. Wasn't really too out of the way during a family cross country road trip as a kid.

The US side of Niagara Falls is so loving lovely and sleazy compared to the Canadian side, though this could have easily changed since I was a kid.

Waikiki Beach in Hawaii is a travesty against nature. A tiny hyper crowded dumpster beach for dumpster people.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Dang that game was fun. I had no idea what Graceland was when I first played.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

BaconCopter posted:

The US side of Niagara Falls is so loving lovely and sleazy compared to the Canadian side, though this could have easily changed since I was a kid.
It's only gotten worse.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

BaconCopter posted:

this is true of everywhere outside of Niagara Falls, too

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Raere posted:

In Boston there's a property called 'Paul Reverse house'. Once on the tour they reveal that although Paul Revere owned the house, he didn't actually occupy it for any substantial amount of time. So you're basically paying to visit a property that an early American leader was just a landlord of.

sounds like you also got a tour of america with it. A twofer

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

BaconCopter posted:

Wall Drug, super lame and underwhelming. Wasn't really too out of the way during a family cross country road trip as a kid.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

If you want a view of the city, then I think Summit might be the best and the mirror rooms are neat, but yea if someone has never done Empire state building then they might as well do that once.

That's actually really cool, does the illusion hold up well in person or is it normally super crowded?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Tombstone, Arizona

A lot of buildings on Main Street aren’t original, but made up to look like Tombstone in the late 1800s. Lots of period-costumed townsfolk reenacting daily life in a comical fashion, and a frequent reenactment of the shootout at the OK Corral, which I remember isn’t even the real or original OK Corral or place of the infamous shootout.

The Bird Cage Theater was pretty cool, but it’s just a kitschy tourist trap for people who like old westerns.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

HERE LIES LESTER MOORE FOUR SLUGS FROM A 44 NO LESS NO MORE

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Raere posted:

There's a house in either Savannah, GA or Charleston, SC that advertised itself as a place where George Washington slept there... once for one night. I remember being underwhelmed.

There was also a museum of optical illusions in Philadelphia that was neat, but needed to be either bigger or cheaper to be a good value.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ChickenHeart posted:

The House on The Rock in Wisconsin is basically some architect's failed attempt to one-up Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater that someone later dumped a warehouse full of junk on, but it's pretty drat rad

If you have a day blow to visit here, it's well worth it. There is SO MUCH STUFF/JUNK that it goes on and on and on forever. It starts out in Frank Lloyd Wright's house with the infinity room, but then you descend into what is usually 4-6 hours of insane collections in a huge maze of interconnected museum spaces. You'll see hundreds of dolls, hundreds of pocket knifes, hundreds of antique guns, hundreds of horns, drums.. On and on of just collections of just the weirdest stuff. All in dark creepy corridors. Then you have the worlds largest carousel out of freaking nowhere in this dark room with spinning lights and music. If you ever did acid as a kid, you're going to have flashbacks and you might actually fall over at the sight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0IF9T6ERmM

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Xanadu THE HOME OF TOMORROW in Florida. Decades later, I met someone who lived near there and they said that it closed and crackheads used to squat there.

We had one of these up in the Wisconsin Dells! It rotted and fell apart after a decade lmao.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 25, 2023

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Nice try Pennywise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bangor Maine has a big Paul Bunyan. I was distraught to learn other towns did too....