Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Pauls Bunyan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

You Are A Elf posted:

Tombstone, Arizona

A lot of buildings on Main Street aren’t original, but made up to look like Tombstone in the late 1800s. Lots of period-costumed townsfolk reenacting daily life in a comical fashion, and a frequent reenactment of the shootout at the OK Corral, which I remember isn’t even the real or original OK Corral or place of the infamous shootout.

The Bird Cage Theater was pretty cool, but it’s just a kitschy tourist trap for people who like old westerns.

Old Tucson was a way more enjoyable visit, being essentially a self-contained theme park/museum rather than a shitload of kitsch shops like Tombstone.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

HJE-Cobra posted:

They've fallen on hard times lately I think, and had to massively reduce their number of billboards. I think there's still some though.

Going up I-95 in pre-internet times, I had no idea this existed, but then the billboards began and we had to stop on our way to Washington D.C. The only one I specifically remember was a phonetic spelling of "quit your bellyaching."

Helen, Georgia. Didn't start as a tourist trap, but solicited ideas on how to become one. Bavaria won out. In the same county is Babyland General Hospital a former legit hospital turned into the Cabbage Patch Kids epicenter when the craze began. Occasionally, there's a live birth of a Cabbage Patch doll for all the kiddies to witness.

Ripley's Believe It or Not. St. Augustine location.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Helen is alright but a lot of that as an adult is just because the surrounding area is so pretty.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Haverchuck posted:

I wonder if there is some kind of officiating body that determines this, like what if there is a challenger to the Cawker City twine ball. guinness book?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biggest_ball_of_twine

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
It's not even a ball though, it's a dome

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Wifi Toilet posted:

It's not even a ball though, it's a dome

It's obviously just sunk into the ground due to the overbearing weight of it's largeness.

Also Sam and Max hit the road was just the best.

Did sort of ruin road trips for me as a kid. There was none of that awesome crazy poo poo near where we went. :(

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 25, 2023

mortarr
Apr 28, 2005

frozen meat at high speed
I got shouted at and almost ejected from Lenin's tomb by one of the guards for putting my hands in my pockets as I walked past his body. 10/10, would look at waxy dead Lenin again.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

mortarr posted:

I got shouted at and almost ejected from Lenin's tomb by one of the guards for putting my hands in my pockets as I walked past his body. 10/10, would look at waxy dead Lenin again.

Odd thing to pocket pull over but I still think they overreacted

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Helen, Georgia. Didn't start as a tourist trap, but solicited ideas on how to become one. Bavaria won out. In the same county is Babyland General Hospital a former legit hospital turned into the Cabbage Patch Kids epicenter when the craze began. Occasionally, there's a live birth of a Cabbage Patch doll for all the kiddies to witness.

Went up there because my wife’s cousin lives in Cleveland. Got to eat mediocre goulash and ride yet another mountain coaster before Covid shut the whole drat thing down in 2020.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

You Are A Elf posted:

Tombstone, Arizona

A lot of buildings on Main Street aren’t original, but made up to look like Tombstone in the late 1800s. Lots of period-costumed townsfolk reenacting daily life in a comical fashion, and a frequent reenactment of the shootout at the OK Corral, which I remember isn’t even the real or original OK Corral or place of the infamous shootout.

The Bird Cage Theater was pretty cool, but it’s just a kitschy tourist trap for people who like old westerns.

I loving LIVED in Tombstone. The dudes re-enacting the shootout are local drunks for whom the locals found at least something marginally useful to do.

As for places I visited off the top of my head:

Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi - unless you are a Ferrari fan this place is useless and boring
The Louvre in Abu Dhabi on Yas Island - mindblowingly awesome. Emiratis did not hold back on this thing, splurged with reckless abandon even the building itself is a work of art. There is a constant exposition and smaller thematic temporary ones. Constant exposition is set up in chronological order from Egyptian sarcofagi to ancient Greece, Rome and throughout history to modern art. There is an absolutely gorgeous statue of Athena, busts of Roman emperors, Augustus, etc. When I visited the temporary exposition was a comparison of Crusader weapons and armor and that of Arab warriors of the same time period and locality. A neat idea to show them together and quite interesting. Even the gift shop is full of neat crap, such as skateboards with various works of art printed on them.

Batu caves in Kuala Lumpur, they are enormous, beautiful shrines and temples built right inside the cave, a must visit if you are in Kuala Lumpur, especially because it is inside the city no need to even travel anywhere.

Svaneti region in Georgia, this place is like Narnia inhabited by Georgian highlanders and horses

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They're not drunk, they're method acting. People were drunk as fuuuuuck back then

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

redshirt posted:

Bangor Maine has a big Paul Bunyan. I was distraught to learn other towns did too....

If you walk down the sidewalk to the south a little and view him from there, he is sporting a giant hard on

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I saw Portland, Maine's second-largest bookshelf of second-hand Steven King novels set in Maine. Turns out it was the second-largest on that block of the East side. Kinda felt ripped off.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
If you'd like to visit a Tombstone style location without the kitsch, I recommend Lincoln NM. There's not a lot of interpretation on site so before you go read up on Billy the Kid, Pat Garrett, and the Lincoln County Wars.

For content, I recently drove through Tonopah and visited the "World Famous Clown Motel"

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

All of Myrtle Beach.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

500excf type r posted:

If you walk down the sidewalk to the south a little and view him from there, he is sporting a giant hard on

LOL I'll check it out next time I'm there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Waffle! posted:

All of Myrtle Beach.

did you go to that ron jon that people get lost in

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I went to Cancun last November, but did not stay in the city. Super fancy all inclusive resort. Decadent.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Clown Motel looks pretty sweet. Surprised no one has mentioned the GOAT Flintstone Bedrock City in Arizona.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Trundle Manor is a proud tourist trap that's actually worth your time:

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/pennsylvania/pittsburgh/tourist-trap-pittsburgh/

It's a mansion full of weird stuff; taxidermy, old medical supplies, just unique stuff ranging from complete junk to actual art. You have to text or call the home owners to make an appointment, but they're extremely nice and the tour itself is free, although they do ask for donations.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

My parents once drove across half of Idaho to see a single fossilised poo, if that counts. I’m not even from America; all the other kids who went there went to places like “New York” or “Disneyworld”

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
i went to the Warrens' Occult Museum and taunted the Raggedy Annabelle and died a day later. The place has the charm of a dusty antique store.

Visited the same pirate museum in Salem mentioned in the OP and really enjoyed the guided tour and lovely wax figures. Did a bunch of the witch museums too, which were also cool.

House On The Rock was loving cool and a great way to spend a drunk afternoon. Lots of stuff to look at and go "huh, neat" then forget about moments later

Tree In The Middle of the Road was a tree in the middle of a road. 10/10, no notes. Backed my car around it 3 times and a ghost car was supposed to show up and kill me or something but didn't.

Broke into Bachelor's Grove when i was a teenager and took a bunch of awful gothy photos which I'm glad have been lost to time.

Oh, and you can still see all the H.H. Holmes stuff around Chicago, which is just vacant lots and a post office. There's a Weird Chicago bus tour that i used to recommend to people who were visiting but i have no idea if it still runs since i don't live there anymore. The dude who ran it was pretty cool and had a lot of cool stories though.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Extra Large Marge posted:

Always liked how the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD has onion domes

I've been there, the outside is redone yearly with hundreds of thousands of cobs

quote:

1916: Military / Patriotic
1917: Same as 1916 except Ambulance instead of Cannon
1940: America First
1941: South Dakota Hunters Paradise
1942: Allied Victory
1943: Allied Victory
1944: War Theme
1945: War Theme
1969: Space Age
1976: Bicentennial of the USA
2000: Millennium Corn
2020: South Dakota - Stay Here Play Here
2021: South Dakota - Stay Here Play Here (Covid Year) No staff hired, just 5-murals replaced.
2022: Under The Big Top

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sentient Data posted:

That's actually really cool, does the illusion hold up well in person or is it normally super crowded?

I wouldn't say it was overly packed, but maybe it gets more crowded at night? Its neat looking straight up or down. I think having a crowd makes the effect look better.

But yeah, the view of the city is pretty nice

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

The Big Merino, in Goulbourn NSW.

Hell yeah, I saw the big ram in Western Australia and its also got massive balls

mackensie
Apr 17, 2002
Can't believe no one posted Plymouth Rock. It's one of the worst tourist traps in the country.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

mackensie posted:

Can't believe no one posted Plymouth Rock. It's one of the worst tourist traps in the country.

falls right on tourists and traps them in there all the time

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

MojoAZ posted:

If you'd like to visit a Tombstone style location without the kitsch, I recommend Lincoln NM. There's not a lot of interpretation on site so before you go read up on Billy the Kid, Pat Garrett, and the Lincoln County Wars.

For content, I recently drove through Tonopah and visited the "World Famous Clown Motel"

I’m gonna spread everything out

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

mackensie posted:

Yeah this one really sucks, pretty much everyone already has a broken rock where the pilgrims didn't land at home.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Plymouth Rock as I recall doesnt cost money to see and there isn't a bunch of glorified carneys trying to part you from your money so is it a tourist trap or just a really dumb attraction

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

mortarr posted:

I was there near closing time and there wasn't going to be another chance to get in and there was a huge line. So we bribed our way into the front of the line in front of hundreds of other tourists and got to see Lenin in time. hooray!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I don’t know if you’d call it a tourist trap, but Mt. Rushmore is the most disappointing landmark/whatever I’ve ever seen.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don’t know if you’d call it a tourist trap, but Mt. Rushmore is the most disappointing landmark/whatever I’ve ever seen.

Oh, so you haven't seen the Crazy Horse monument.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
Stopped in but didn't stay at the Madonna Inn:

https://www.madonnainn.com/

Vernacular architecture is one of the pillars of American tourist cash-suckers

mackensie
Apr 17, 2002

Rides Naked posted:

Stopped in but didn't stay at the Madonna Inn:

https://www.madonnainn.com/

Vernacular architecture is one of the pillars of American tourist cash-suckers

I've stayed there and it was awesome! I had the Fred Flintstone room.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Grey Cat posted:

Sea Lion Caves https://www.sealioncaves.com/
Is pretty cool, you go underground and check out the sea lions.
All the ones I’ve been to already been mentioned but I have to say how much I haaaaaate this place. The site was originally a research station and the elevator was originally built to facilitate that research. Some private group bought the elevator and set up a fee for access to seeing the seals.

No one should put up barriers between me and looking at cute animals.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I live in Vermont, there you go

My big regret? I've driven by ReptiLand a dozen times and never stopped :(

https://reptiland.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Wait, nobody mentioned Gatlinburg. Gatlinburg sucks.