Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I live in Vermont, there you go

My big regret? I've driven by ReptiLand a dozen times and never stopped :(

https://reptiland.com/

Been to Santa's Village? It sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Philthy posted:

We had one of these up in the Wisconsin Dells! It rotted and fell apart after a decade lmao.

I grew up near the Dells and never really appreciated it until I was too old to appreciate it. I took an ex from PA there once and her jaw dropped. Another friend of mine taking a roadtrip around the country said her mind was blown when she rocked up on what she called "the Midwestern Las Vegas." There is waaaaayyyyy too much to soak in from that vicinity.

EDIT: Noah's Ark crew

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I've been there, the outside is redone yearly with hundreds of thousands of cobs

A picture of the corn palace on the corn palace. Awfully pomo for a dakota

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

N. Senada posted:

Wait, nobody mentioned Gatlinburg. Gatlinburg sucks.

I did. On page 1.

I. M. Gei posted:

Gatlinburg, TN.

All of it.

I thought it was alright when I was a kid. It's an okay place to kill an afternoon if you like Ripley's museums and shops full of dumb cheesy poo poo. Also I got totally fuckin' ripped off on a set of cheap mall katanas, so that happened.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I’m sorry posting pal. Plz forgive my trespasses

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I don't think anyone mentioned Dinosaur Kingdom in Natural Bridge, VA

What if dinosaurs were involved in the Civil War?? A bunch of life-size fiberglass statues in some woods show you what that might look like. I'm pretty sure I remember a pterodactyl that stole the Gettysburg Address out of Lincoln's hand. I dunno, it was a weird and wonderful afternoon

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

MojoAZ posted:

If you'd like to visit a Tombstone style location without the kitsch, I recommend Lincoln NM. There's not a lot of interpretation on site so before you go read up on Billy the Kid, Pat Garrett, and the Lincoln County Wars.

For content, I recently drove through Tonopah and visited the "World Famous Clown Motel"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QBJaTtF7XI

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grey Cat posted:

Enchanted Forest in Salem Oregon. It's pretty goofy and fun for a couple hours.

Sea Lion Caves https://www.sealioncaves.com/
Is pretty cool, you go underground and check out the sea lions.

https://enchantedforestbc.com/

There's one of those out in the middle of nowhere in British Columbia too out along on Highway 1 at like roughly the halfway point on the 12 hour drive between Vancouver and Calgary. I've driven past it multiple times, but never actually visited it.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

redshirt posted:

Been to Santa's Village? It sucks.

Storyland, Santa’s Village, and Six Gun City. The trifecta of suck.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

MojoAZ posted:

For content, I recently drove through Tonopah and visited the "World Famous Clown Motel"

The Clown Motel loving owns because it takes the already-weird premise of "rundown shrine full of creepy rear end clowns in the middle of buttfuck nowhere" and turns it up to 11 by also being right next door to a literal 19th-century graveyard, as well as being haunted. By ghost clowns. Because of course it is.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I went to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge for the first time a year ago. I actually enjoy cheesy tourist stuff for what it's worth so I had a really good time, but it helps that:

- The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is right there.
- Dollywood, a top-tier theme park, is also right there.
- Gatlinburg being basically one long walkable strip nestled right in the mountains makes it a pretty neat setting to me. Pigeon Forge is significantly more plain, tacky, and spread out.
- The weather was perfect fall weather (mid October) and the trees were all changing color.

There's definitely a lot of tourist trap stuff but some quality experiences to be found as well. I also think it's a good idea when visiting a place like this to not bother with attractions that you can see anywhere. For instance, they both have tons of go-kart tracks and mini golf courses, but you can do that anywhere. Similarly, wax museums, aquariums, and Ripley's "Believe It or Not" type museums. These things are all over the country and you've likely done better versions of them.

Instead, I focused on attractions specific to the mountain setting, like the various alpine mountain coasters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i12ClMRMJfc

They have a bunch of these and I could ride them all day. You get a relaxing ride up and then you control your speed on the way down. If you leave the brakes completely open it can feel a little intense, but then the ride is over faster. The prices add up pretty quickly though unfortunately so most visitors might want to pick just one or two. I also felt that the Anakeesta and Ober Gatlinburg attractions were worth it. Both involve riding a cable car or ski lift up to the top of a mountain where more mountain coasters, bobsleds, and other attractions await that utilize the mountain setting.

But more in line with the thread topic, they have these two dark rides that are so bad that they're good: Jurassic Jungle Boat Ride in Pigeon Forge and Earthquake in Gatlinburg. They're basically attempts at Disney/Universal attractions on a low budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsfTDwATfg4

This video has both. What it doesn't show is that the Jurassic Jungle ride has your boat awkwardly stop in total silence/darkness for long stretches, multiple times through the ride, for no real reason. The dinosaur figures are also all jerky and mechanical and make unnerving noises so the whole thing is unnerving. As someone who lives in Orlando and works at the Orlando parks, I loved experiencing these for how awkward they were.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

The Clown Motel loving owns because it takes the already-weird premise of "rundown shrine full of creepy rear end clowns in the middle of buttfuck nowhere" and turns it up to 11 by also being right next door to a literal 19th-century graveyard, as well as being haunted. By ghost clowns. Because of course it is.

Sounds like a challenge.

"Do you DARE stay in the CLOWN MOTEL?"

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Catastrophe posted:

I grew up near the Dells and never really appreciated it until I was too old to appreciate it. I took an ex from PA there once and her jaw dropped. Another friend of mine taking a roadtrip around the country said her mind was blown when she rocked up on what she called "the Midwestern Las Vegas." There is waaaaayyyyy too much to soak in from that vicinity.

Yeah, it used to be a fun place back in the day as a kid. These days it's good for an afternoon, but it's mostly run down and kind of chuddy. The waterparks are still tiptop though, if that's your thing. As an adult, time is better spent up in Door County, though. That place is still like walking into a movie set like Stars Hollow in Gilmore Girls or something. It's really absolutely beautiful up there without all the political crazy.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Catastrophe posted:

I got a huge gash down my back from something sharp wedged in one of the waterslides at Mt. Olympus

the multi-level gokart track was pretty drat cool, though

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Philthy posted:

Yeah, it used to be a fun place back in the day as a kid. These days it's good for an afternoon, but it's mostly run down and kind of chuddy. The waterparks are still tiptop though, if that's your thing. As an adult, time is better spent up in Door County, though. That place is still like walking into a movie set like Stars Hollow in Gilmore Girls or something. It's really absolutely beautiful up there.

Man, Door County is a spark of magic.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

redshirt posted:

Sounds like a challenge.

Hell yeah I do! :unsmigghh:

Just don't bring anything too valuable since at least one of the ghosts likes to play pranks and take peoples' poo poo sometimes.

Also the dolls come to life. Because of course they do.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ChickenHeart posted:

I got a huge gash down my back from something sharp wedged in one of the waterslides at Mt. Olympus

the multi-level gokart track was pretty drat cool, though

A bunch of friends took a day off to go up to the dells and gently caress around. The Mt. Olympus Go Karts was the highlight. We were the only ones on the track. It was so drat fun. Cept for the dude whose kart went half the speed of everyone else's.

Sucks about that waterslide gash tho. I cut my foot open at Noah's Ark wave pool as a tiny kid because there was glass in it or something. The lifeguards didn't give a poo poo. They werent about to shut down a pool with a thousand people in it to look for a tiny piece of glass.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I went to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge for the first time a year ago. I actually enjoy cheesy tourist stuff for what it's worth so I had a really good time, but it helps that:

- The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is right there.
- Dollywood, a top-tier theme park, is also right there.
- Gatlinburg being basically one long walkable strip nestled right in the mountains makes it a pretty neat setting to me. Pigeon Forge is significantly more plain, tacky, and spread out.
- The weather was perfect fall weather (mid October) and the trees were all changing color.

being walkable also is something to helen's credit too.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man, Mt Olympus. I live near the Dells and the guy who owns that place has a motto of "They'll always be more suckers next year".

Really shows too since every few years someone dies or almost gets cut in half by some ride malfunction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD3i-wXRDRw

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

redshirt posted:

Sounds like a challenge.

I'm gonna show up at the Clown Motel and just spread out someday.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I live in Vermont, there you go

My big regret? I've driven by ReptiLand a dozen times and never stopped :(

https://reptiland.com/

clyde peelings is great.

I went up to plymouth and the cape a couple weeks ago and it was pretty loving dope.

i genuinly liked seeing plymouth rock which is giant tourist trap.

but my favorite was going to see the Whydah Pirate Museum which on the outside looks like total shithole but when you go in, its actually really really well done, most of the artifacts are pulled from sam bellamys flag poo poo which sunk. also you see the leg of dead pirate kid who drowned.

https://www.discoverpirates.com/

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Buh??

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I don't think anyone mentioned Dinosaur Kingdom in Natural Bridge, VA

What if dinosaurs were involved in the Civil War?? A bunch of life-size fiberglass statues in some woods show you what that might look like. I'm pretty sure I remember a pterodactyl that stole the Gettysburg Address out of Lincoln's hand. I dunno, it was a weird and wonderful afternoon

Lol, I found out about this place recently in a dino art thread, it rules and I'm very jealous of you

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm not sure if this counts or not: Sliding Rock, NC was fairly close to my grandparents' and my family visited a couple of times. I'm deathly acrophobic so I was always too scared to actually try it out. Admission is free (or was in the '90s); it's essentially a side of mountain that you can use to slide into a pool of mountain water.

e: Traps I've visited

loving Mount Rushmore Six Grandfathers. Visited on the way back from a trip to Southern Canada to see family. It's mostly just a large area where you can stand and gawk at the monument (built on sacred Lakota land), or go on a walking tour that actually goes inside the mountain. I chose the latter and regretted it; not because I especially care about Rushmore but I baked in the Dakota heat.

It's really nothing that spectacular.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 26, 2023

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Catastrophe posted:

I too, was part of the Noah's ark crew (park services and I was wally the walrus). I had the full experience - lived at Noah's ark housing (Elmwood behind the library), met a whole bunch of interesting people from Lithuania/Columbia/Brazil/Australia/Poland that came to work, and I dated a life guard.

I then worked in the reservations department of the treasure Island hotel (now mount Olympus) through the next summer and the off season.

I'd be happy to never visit the dells again though. Maybe now with kids

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
For things possibly made more famous by New Vegas (or Pee Wee) but that I used to drive by frequently:

The Cabazon dinosaurs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabazon_Dinosaurs

Another key pillar of American culture is outsider statuary executed in fiberglass.

The roller coaster at Buffalo Bill's in Primm:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bill%27s

Amusement rides also make that list.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Nightmares Fear Factory

It’s the fuckin truth, hate to say it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

yup. well it helps you can walk from one end of town to the other in 10 minutes but the little downtown core around the river is basically the most walkable tourist trap outside of gatlinburg

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Weird, I liked Mt. Rushmore. I didn't pay the monument a whole lotta mind, but the walking trail and forest around it are just lovely. The Black Hills are great.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

mackensie posted:

Can't believe no one posted Plymouth Rock. It's one of the worst tourist traps in the country.

I peed on Plymouth Rock late at night as a rowdy teen. It's still a tourist trap, but now I've got a fond memory attached.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

you also landed on plymouth rock

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Isn’t it true that there’s no proof that that rock has any actual significance?

Milo and POTUS posted:

yup. well it helps you can walk from one end of town to the other in 10 minutes but the little downtown core around the river is basically the most walkable tourist trap outside of gatlinburg

No I was confused by “to Helen’s credit”

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

i enjoyed helen probably because i was a dumb babby when i first went and the state park is incredible. the great recession and covid probably screwed it terminally tho

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

i enjoyed helen probably because i was a dumb babby when i first went and the state park is incredible. the great recession and covid probably screwed it terminally tho

Ohh you’re talking about Helen, Georgia? I had not heard of it until now. It looks like a smaller Gatlinburg though.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Philthy posted:

Yeah, it used to be a fun place back in the day as a kid. These days it's good for an afternoon, but it's mostly run down and kind of chuddy. The waterparks are still tiptop though, if that's your thing. As an adult, time is better spent up in Door County, though. That place is still like walking into a movie set like Stars Hollow in Gilmore Girls or something. It's really absolutely beautiful up there without all the political crazy.

I haven't been to Door County for many years now. I wonder how overrun it is with condos now, it was getting pretty overwhelmed in the mid 2010s. All the cool, good little restaurants were closing and getting bought out to become rich douchebag restaurants.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Extra Large Marge posted:

Always liked how the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD has onion domes

Came here to post about the Corn Palace and Wall Drug.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ohh you’re talking about Helen, Georgia? I had not heard of it until now. It looks like a smaller Gatlinburg though.

...i am so confused as to what you're talking about now

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

...i am so confused as to what you're talking about now

In your first reply to me:

Milo and POTUS posted:

I didn't know what Helen was but now I understood after reviewing the previous page

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Das Boo posted:

Weird, I liked Mt. Rushmore. I didn't pay the monument a whole lotta mind, but the walking trail and forest around it are just lovely. The Black Hills are great.

Well, in fairness I didn't do Rushmore the "right" way. I should have walked around more and taken in the scenery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Isn’t it true that there’s no proof that that rock has any actual significance?

No I was confused by “to Helen’s credit”

its clearly significant, it has a cage protecting it and people come from all over to see it/pee on it