Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have a large stereo setup with an equally large subwoofer located behind a listening couch. How bad of an idea would it be to put a 2-3 inch solid wood table over it? There would be a maybe... 6 inch gap or so above the subwoofer before the table. I mostly care about the listening at the couch, less so with the rest of the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Internet Explorer posted:

I have a large stereo setup with an equally large subwoofer located behind a listening couch. How bad of an idea would it be to put a 2-3 inch solid wood table over it? There would be a maybe... 6 inch gap or so above the subwoofer before the table. I mostly care about the listening at the couch, less so with the rest of the room.

where does the driver aim?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

My sub is under this table I made using 2x4s, there is about 2-3 inches of clearance from the top of the sub to the underside of the table. Crazy amounts of bass, from both sitting next to it, and sitting on a couch 10 feet back.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

trilobite terror posted:

where does the driver aim?

Good question! It is front firing. Parallel to the couch and would be parallel to the table. This is it - https://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk5-subwoofer

Fozzy The Bear posted:

My sub is under this table I made using 2x4s, there is about 2-3 inches of clearance from the top of the sub to the underside of the table. Crazy amounts of bass, from both sitting next to it, and sitting on a couch 10 feet back.

That's reassuring! Sounds like it might not be too much of a problem. Thanks for sharing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Good question! It is front firing. Parallel to the couch and would be parallel to the table. This is it - https://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk5-subwoofer

That's reassuring! Sounds like it might not be too much of a problem. Thanks for sharing.

As long as the driver isn’t being blocked or blasting on something that can be induced to vibrate you should be fine with a table over it

At my old place I had a basket full of blankets/throws and pillows sitting directly on top of my sub and it never affected anything.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Does this thread include car audio?

I built a box for 2 Kicker 10s wired to 4 ohm on a Boss Audio 1100. To me it feels like they're just not hitting that hard, and I'm wondering if it's because the box is close to 2.8 cu-ft. Is it possible for the box to be too big?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

LegoMan posted:

I built a box for 2 Kicker 10s wired to 4 ohm on a Boss Audio 1100. To me it feels like they're just not hitting that hard, and I'm wondering if it's because the box is close to 2.8 cu-ft. Is it possible for the box to be too big?

Try driving only a single sub off that one amp, without changing anything else, and see how you like it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
One of the offices that I support has a Factor V-460 mixer amp wired into a house sound system in their lobby. They want to play royalty-free music off of basically an iPod. What would be a good .mp3 player to use these days? My usual go-to of Wirecutter doesn't seem to keep a list of well-regarded .mp3 players; it would be best if it didn't have a battery so we wouldn't have to worry about it swelling or exploding or anything, and we can just plug it into wall power. Their budget for this is pretty minimal, I doubt they'd be willing to spend more than a couple hundred dollars; is my best bet going to be just a surplus iPhone?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

One of the offices that I support has a Factor V-460 mixer amp wired into a house sound system in their lobby. They want to play royalty-free music off of basically an iPod. What would be a good .mp3 player to use these days? My usual go-to of Wirecutter doesn't seem to keep a list of well-regarded .mp3 players; it would be best if it didn't have a battery so we wouldn't have to worry about it swelling or exploding or anything, and we can just plug it into wall power. Their budget for this is pretty minimal, I doubt they'd be willing to spend more than a couple hundred dollars; is my best bet going to be just a surplus iPhone?

You could get something like a used DVD or cheap Blu-ray player that plays mp3s off of a CD or something that plays files off of a storage drive/USB stick instead

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Ham Equity posted:

We have a thread for mp3 players :lol:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706092

HiBy R3 II (Gen 2) Hi-Fi Lossless Audio Player is highly rated.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

LegoMan posted:

Are you familiar with how to set up a car audio amp, like setting the gain and crossovers? That box might be kinda big for two 10"s, but that shouldn't cause it to be really quiet unless it's a ported box missing the tubes or something weird.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I am an old man who likes to listen to the radio while walking the dog. But I also would like to use Bluetooth earphones, because the dog is young and impulsive and I've had my earphones ripped out more than a few times from the cable getting looped around something as the dog lunges at whatever squirrel. Anything I've found so far is either BT receiver only, or transmits over BT except for FM, or will do it but you still have to have wired earphones plugged in to act as the antenna. So: is there a pocket FM radio that transmits over Bluetooth, without any extra things hanging off of it? Digital tuning would be a plus. No need for anything other than that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tad Naff posted:

I am an old man who likes to listen to the radio while walking the dog. But I also would like to use Bluetooth earphones, because the dog is young and impulsive and I've had my earphones ripped out more than a few times from the cable getting looped around something as the dog lunges at whatever squirrel. Anything I've found so far is either BT receiver only, or transmits over BT except for FM, or will do it but you still have to have wired earphones plugged in to act as the antenna. So: is there a pocket FM radio that transmits over Bluetooth, without any extra things hanging off of it? Digital tuning would be a plus. No need for anything other than that.

you'd be better off streaming your radio station of choice over internet via your phone

anything else is going to require you to connect some dongle-based bluetooth headphones to the analog headphone jack of something like a pocket FM radio

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Many cheap MP3 players on amazon have bluetooth and FM radio. I don't have any device to recommend, but you might want to look.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I want to run a playstation 5 into a focusrite 18i8. The focusrite has 1/4" TRS mono line inputs, and the PS5 has HDMI audio which is all-in-one with the video out. Normally when I connect a stereo device to the focusrite I run two 1/4" cables, one for each stereo channel.

I had two ideas so far; I could use a HDMI audio breakout box or I could run a 1/8" headphone jack from the HDMI screen into a stereo splitter Y cable. I want this to be as simple as possible, but I'm also thinking that the max volume I can get running the HDMI signal into a line input might be too low?

I tested the levels by running 1/8" headphone out from my screen's headphone jack into a single mono TRS (one cable instead of two) and the levels were a little low, but maybe this is fixed by just having two of them. I had my mixer at +6dba which is maxed and the screen volume maxed.

From just a mechanical point of view the best adapter would be one 1/8" headphone female connector splitting into two 1/4" TRS male connectors, but I'm also thinking if I buy something like that I'm going to end up a splitter where right and left both get split instead of right and left ending up being on two different cables. It also seems somehow lower quality than just taking the audio signal off the HDMI, but this solution doesn't have to be super high quality, its just for playing games.

Any ideas?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Many cheap MP3 players on amazon have bluetooth and FM radio. I don't have any device to recommend, but you might want to look.

Oh I've looked. Basically all of them say they have FM and Bluetooth, but the fine print will say it's either/or. Closest thing is the dummy-earphone-antenna deal, and I've actually got an antenna that plugs into a headphone jack for such purposes, but it's still awkward.

I just remembered I have an old LG Velvet that has an FM tuner (but also wants wired earphones as an antenna), maybe I can hack up a cheap pair of earphones and hide the cable inside the case.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Your audio interface's inputs will behave differently depending on whether you plug a TS or a TRS jack into it. The difference being whether it thinks it should take the connection as being unbalanced or balanced. Your tv headphone output or an hdmi audio extractor will produce an unbalanced signal. Your test with a single 1/8" TRS to a 1/4" TRS cable will have the interface subtract one channel from the other, resulting in an almost imperceptible signal level. Your ideal cable isn't a 1/8" TRS split into two 1/4" TRS ends for that reason. The TV end uses the TRS connection for two unbalanced signals, so the interface end should have two TS 1/4" jacks, which your interface will happily take.

There are many ways to approach this with adapters, my personal favorite is 1/4" TS to RCA plugs for the interface, combined with whatever common home stereo audio lead you need after that.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Ah okay that makes sense thank you! I found an adapter online for TRS -> two TS connectors and that explains how to avoid a splitter with stereo on both halves as well.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Good! You can get the weirdest and wrongest wired up adapter cables on like Amazon, so if it's explicit about what is doing and what you should use it for and what all competitors are doing wrong, that improves your chances vastly.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Tad Naff posted:

Oh I've looked. Basically all of them say they have FM and Bluetooth, but the fine print will say it's either/or. Closest thing is the dummy-earphone-antenna deal, and I've actually got an antenna that plugs into a headphone jack for such purposes, but it's still awkward.

I just remembered I have an old LG Velvet that has an FM tuner (but also wants wired earphones as an antenna), maybe I can hack up a cheap pair of earphones and hide the cable inside the case.

Oh I just remembered headphones I used to have in the 90's that had the FM radio built in:

https://www.headphonesty.com/2021/05/best-radio-headphones/

Would this fit what you need?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Oh man, a nostalgia hit there! Had a pair of these bad boys for mowing the yard/pasture.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I'm looking for a good idiot-proof streaming audio player that works with Apple music. Ideally something small with a display that will easily interface with the apple music app and output to an amplifier or be an amplifier itself.

The whole system will be playing streaming music the majority of the time, but also needs to be able to receive Bluetooth audio from a projector. This will be connected to two outdoor speakers that are in a small back yard.

Something like the echo show would be great except that it doesn't support audio out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gangringo posted:

I'm looking for a good idiot-proof streaming audio player that works with Apple music. Ideally something small with a display that will easily interface with the apple music app and output to an amplifier or be an amplifier itself.

The whole system will be playing streaming music the majority of the time, but also needs to be able to receive Bluetooth audio from a projector. This will be connected to two outdoor speakers that are in a small back yard.

Something like the echo show would be great except that it doesn't support audio out.

You want a receiver, probably easiest to use an AV receiver with AirPlay and bluetooth capabilities. Or you could get a dongle(s) to handle receiving AirPlay and Bluetooth if you already have a reciever/amp in place. Controlling Apple Music could then be done from any iPhone/Mac/iPad/etc

most recent (last like ~10 years) Denon and Yamaha receivers do AirPlay, not sure about receiving bluetooth. You can always add a cheap bluetooth dongle that's just set up to work with the projector.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 21, 2024

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.amazon.com/WiiM-Mini-Multiroom-Preamplifier-Assistants/dp/B09HC5GRKY

This dongle will do everything you want if you have an amplifier already. Pairing this with a receiver should fit your needs. Sounds like you only need a stereo receiver. If you pick up a dongle like this, you might be able to pick up a receiver from a thrift store and be done with it.

If you already have a raspberry pi, you could use it with something like this:

https://moodeaudio.org/

Unless you like tinkering with electronics or want a mini project, I don't know if I could recommend this route. The cost is probably higher than the WiiM Mini now.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

I am more than happy to tinker, but I am setting this up for a friend who is not at all technically inclined. I want external controls so that in a pinch rather than troubleshooting apps and connections there is a display and a big dumb knob to turn.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

https://www.amazon.com/WiiM-Mini-Multiroom-Preamplifier-Assistants/dp/B09HC5GRKY

This dongle will do everything you want if you have an amplifier already. Pairing this with a receiver should fit your needs. Sounds like you only need a stereo receiver. If you pick up a dongle like this, you might be able to pick up a receiver from a thrift store and be done with it.

This doesn't say it supports apple music. My understanding is that airplay is an audio connection over wifi and the phone app still does all the processing. I'm looking for something that will continue to function even if it loses connection to her phone.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gangringo posted:

This doesn't say it supports apple music. My understanding is that airplay is an audio connection over wifi and the phone app still does all the processing. I'm looking for something that will continue to function even if it loses connection to her phone.

your best bet in this regard is to have a dedicated playback device, either an AppleTV or computer or iPad/iPod Touch/whatever physically plugged into your receiver/amp, or an Airplay device like an iPad/iPhone/iPod touch/computer/etc that only serves the function of playing Apple Music

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, my own research is showing me devices with native apple music support essentially don't exist. I feel like such a boomer trying to find something that does what I want that also has buttons and a volume knob as a backup and isn't a complete overkill home theater receiver.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gangringo posted:

Yeah, my own research is showing me devices with native apple music support essentially don't exist. I feel like such a boomer trying to find something that does what I want that also has buttons and a volume knob as a backup and isn't a complete overkill home theater receiver.

yeah, it’s not a radio station that you can dial into, it’s a streaming service that requires scrolling and a GUI so them’s the breaks, but I dig. It’s a real pain in the rear end for setting something up without connecting a TV, etc, to it

what is your current setup right now? could you give us some more details about how you envision everything working and whom is going to be using it? It really does sound like what you ultimately want is a home theater receiver for your living room TV or whatever with an outdoor Zone 2 in the yard. But also you could, like, bring a bluetooth speaker or whatever into the yard whenever you’re there and stream/bluetooth directly to it too. Like there are a lot of very different options to kind of accomplish what you want, but none of them seem ideal.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The only audio streamers with native Apple music support are the expensive Sonos Port, the also expensive Fiio R7 [which is basically just an android phone glued to a DAC/amp] and the even more expensive Eversolo A6 and A8. Everything else is Airplay. There's kind of one exception which is the Apple TV which has the downside of needing the display to be on, which I assume would be kind of A Thing with a projector in the mix.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

The setup right now is two unamplified speakers mounted outdoors with wires traveling indoors.

They key problem is the person I am setting this up for. She is a dear friend but she has an infuriating habit of wanting a futuristic smart home but being unwilling to either spend the tens of thousands of dollars for a complete professional integrated system or to spend the time to learn how to operate the various consumer grade pieces of equipment necessary to do it herself.

Previously, the outdoor speakers were connected to her home theater receiver that technically supports three zones, but not well. I want to set up something as bone-simple as possible that will reduce possible frustration and random calls to me when it doesn't work.

The device that was recommended will likely work, as she is familiar with airplay and it looks like it has the added benefit of being a Bluetooth receiver for the projector audio. I was just hoping for something swankier. Give me a jank budget, get jank.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

For $300 there's also the Wiim amp which has a remote available and could reduce the box count slightly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I got gifted these Tannoy PBM 6.5 LM’s with removable power adapters. Naked, they take copper wires. With the power adapters they take computer power cables and XLR

I plugged them into my receiver using copper and it seems bass heavy and is muffled on the high end. I tried playing with treble on the receiver and it doesn’t seem to make a difference. Am I missing something to make them usable as home theater speakers?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I got gifted these Tannoy PBM 6.5 LM’s with removable power adapters. Naked, they take copper wires. With the power adapters they take computer power cables and XLR

I plugged them into my receiver using copper and it seems bass heavy and is muffled on the high end. I tried playing with treble on the receiver and it doesn’t seem to make a difference. Am I missing something to make them usable as home theater speakers?

have you tried running them off the built in amps? Use the line out on the receiver or another kind of line (or maybe tape I guess) level source

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Welp I don’t have XLR out on the receiver

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Welp I don’t have XLR out on the receiver

What kind of outs do you have? You can get RCA to XLR cables for ~$10 online

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ok will try thanks

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Hope that works for you. If the sound is still bad then they are likely damaged (tweeter or crossover would be my guess).

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Steve Yun posted:

I've a pair of the PBM 6.5s and they still sound good. In the late 1990s I won a pair of Tannoy DMT 10 mk2 and they put out a wall of sound (sadly had to sell them as I had just bought an apartment and was broke).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Do yours have the screwed-on amps? Are you using XLR?