Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I'm looking for a good idiot-proof streaming audio player that works with Apple music. Ideally something small with a display that will easily interface with the apple music app and output to an amplifier or be an amplifier itself.

The whole system will be playing streaming music the majority of the time, but also needs to be able to receive Bluetooth audio from a projector. This will be connected to two outdoor speakers that are in a small back yard.

Something like the echo show would be great except that it doesn't support audio out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

I am more than happy to tinker, but I am setting this up for a friend who is not at all technically inclined. I want external controls so that in a pinch rather than troubleshooting apps and connections there is a display and a big dumb knob to turn.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

https://www.amazon.com/WiiM-Mini-Multiroom-Preamplifier-Assistants/dp/B09HC5GRKY

This dongle will do everything you want if you have an amplifier already. Pairing this with a receiver should fit your needs. Sounds like you only need a stereo receiver. If you pick up a dongle like this, you might be able to pick up a receiver from a thrift store and be done with it.

This doesn't say it supports apple music. My understanding is that airplay is an audio connection over wifi and the phone app still does all the processing. I'm looking for something that will continue to function even if it loses connection to her phone.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, my own research is showing me devices with native apple music support essentially don't exist. I feel like such a boomer trying to find something that does what I want that also has buttons and a volume knob as a backup and isn't a complete overkill home theater receiver.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

The setup right now is two unamplified speakers mounted outdoors with wires traveling indoors.

They key problem is the person I am setting this up for. She is a dear friend but she has an infuriating habit of wanting a futuristic smart home but being unwilling to either spend the tens of thousands of dollars for a complete professional integrated system or to spend the time to learn how to operate the various consumer grade pieces of equipment necessary to do it herself.

Previously, the outdoor speakers were connected to her home theater receiver that technically supports three zones, but not well. I want to set up something as bone-simple as possible that will reduce possible frustration and random calls to me when it doesn't work.

The device that was recommended will likely work, as she is familiar with airplay and it looks like it has the added benefit of being a Bluetooth receiver for the projector audio. I was just hoping for something swankier. Give me a jank budget, get jank.