Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
we got a headphone to line-out question in the rPi thread. Anybody know how the tech works?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468084&perpage=40&pagenumber=261&noseen=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Do people still buy dedicated mp3 players? I have an ipod shuffle 2GB, but its lack of Bluetooth and only 2gb is really a drag.

Should I just buy whatever amazon recommends or is there a name brand that's above and beyond the others? I see the first result on amazon is a no-name $25 16GB with bluetooth, which is plenty for me.

cool kids are modding/refurbing their own iPods

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I would try to save the speakers. Those are probably fine and would still work well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
^^^this

now that I got a chance to look at it on my desktop instead of absently phoneposting:

if it's just bad in 1 channel or something wrong with the mixer/preamp/etc then all of that should be fairly drop-in fixable with modern components or even good used stuff bought locally or through reverb. In any case I would pay a consult fee to your best local professional AV company to at least give you some options at various performance and cost levels/saving old parts/used/etc/whatever your needs and budget are before dropping $1000+ on a rack amp

maybe the equipment needs servicing or repair and maybe they can perform/arrange/facilitate that for you if they're that kind of shop

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 28, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I have a large stereo setup with an equally large subwoofer located behind a listening couch. How bad of an idea would it be to put a 2-3 inch solid wood table over it? There would be a maybe... 6 inch gap or so above the subwoofer before the table. I mostly care about the listening at the couch, less so with the rest of the room.

where does the driver aim?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Good question! It is front firing. Parallel to the couch and would be parallel to the table. This is it - https://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk5-subwoofer

That's reassuring! Sounds like it might not be too much of a problem. Thanks for sharing.

As long as the driver isn’t being blocked or blasting on something that can be induced to vibrate you should be fine with a table over it

At my old place I had a basket full of blankets/throws and pillows sitting directly on top of my sub and it never affected anything.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

One of the offices that I support has a Factor V-460 mixer amp wired into a house sound system in their lobby. They want to play royalty-free music off of basically an iPod. What would be a good .mp3 player to use these days? My usual go-to of Wirecutter doesn't seem to keep a list of well-regarded .mp3 players; it would be best if it didn't have a battery so we wouldn't have to worry about it swelling or exploding or anything, and we can just plug it into wall power. Their budget for this is pretty minimal, I doubt they'd be willing to spend more than a couple hundred dollars; is my best bet going to be just a surplus iPhone?

You could get something like a used DVD or cheap Blu-ray player that plays mp3s off of a CD or something that plays files off of a storage drive/USB stick instead

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tad Naff posted:

I am an old man who likes to listen to the radio while walking the dog. But I also would like to use Bluetooth earphones, because the dog is young and impulsive and I've had my earphones ripped out more than a few times from the cable getting looped around something as the dog lunges at whatever squirrel. Anything I've found so far is either BT receiver only, or transmits over BT except for FM, or will do it but you still have to have wired earphones plugged in to act as the antenna. So: is there a pocket FM radio that transmits over Bluetooth, without any extra things hanging off of it? Digital tuning would be a plus. No need for anything other than that.

you'd be better off streaming your radio station of choice over internet via your phone

anything else is going to require you to connect some dongle-based bluetooth headphones to the analog headphone jack of something like a pocket FM radio

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gangringo posted:

I'm looking for a good idiot-proof streaming audio player that works with Apple music. Ideally something small with a display that will easily interface with the apple music app and output to an amplifier or be an amplifier itself.

The whole system will be playing streaming music the majority of the time, but also needs to be able to receive Bluetooth audio from a projector. This will be connected to two outdoor speakers that are in a small back yard.

Something like the echo show would be great except that it doesn't support audio out.

You want a receiver, probably easiest to use an AV receiver with AirPlay and bluetooth capabilities. Or you could get a dongle(s) to handle receiving AirPlay and Bluetooth if you already have a reciever/amp in place. Controlling Apple Music could then be done from any iPhone/Mac/iPad/etc

most recent (last like ~10 years) Denon and Yamaha receivers do AirPlay, not sure about receiving bluetooth. You can always add a cheap bluetooth dongle that's just set up to work with the projector.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 21, 2024

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gangringo posted:

This doesn't say it supports apple music. My understanding is that airplay is an audio connection over wifi and the phone app still does all the processing. I'm looking for something that will continue to function even if it loses connection to her phone.

your best bet in this regard is to have a dedicated playback device, either an AppleTV or computer or iPad/iPod Touch/whatever physically plugged into your receiver/amp, or an Airplay device like an iPad/iPhone/iPod touch/computer/etc that only serves the function of playing Apple Music

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gangringo posted:

Yeah, my own research is showing me devices with native apple music support essentially don't exist. I feel like such a boomer trying to find something that does what I want that also has buttons and a volume knob as a backup and isn't a complete overkill home theater receiver.

yeah, it’s not a radio station that you can dial into, it’s a streaming service that requires scrolling and a GUI so them’s the breaks, but I dig. It’s a real pain in the rear end for setting something up without connecting a TV, etc, to it

what is your current setup right now? could you give us some more details about how you envision everything working and whom is going to be using it? It really does sound like what you ultimately want is a home theater receiver for your living room TV or whatever with an outdoor Zone 2 in the yard. But also you could, like, bring a bluetooth speaker or whatever into the yard whenever you’re there and stream/bluetooth directly to it too. Like there are a lot of very different options to kind of accomplish what you want, but none of them seem ideal.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I got gifted these Tannoy PBM 6.5 LM’s with removable power adapters. Naked, they take copper wires. With the power adapters they take computer power cables and XLR

I plugged them into my receiver using copper and it seems bass heavy and is muffled on the high end. I tried playing with treble on the receiver and it doesn’t seem to make a difference. Am I missing something to make them usable as home theater speakers?

have you tried running them off the built in amps? Use the line out on the receiver or another kind of line (or maybe tape I guess) level source

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Welp I don’t have XLR out on the receiver

What kind of outs do you have? You can get RCA to XLR cables for ~$10 online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have a pair of the Mackie CR3 monitors that have the annoying issue where the lovely switch on the back causes one of them to drop out a lot. There is a fix on YouTube that involves cutting a pin, but I'm not convinced this is going to work for my version of the issue.

So I guess I'm in the market for a set of powered speakers for my desk. The thing I liked most about these is the ext input on the front that you can run in parallel to the proper L/R RCAs on the back, as it doesn't require switching between sources and allows playback from both my computer and my iPad at the same time, so whatever I get really needs to have this. I know Mackie have a replacement set of speakers that I believe still include this, but if this anything else in the price range (around $100) that's worth looking into, I'm all ears. These are only the 3" versions and the sound is perfectly fine as I run them quiet most of the time anyway.

Depending on your budget, you could get an inexpensive and small mixer/interface that would do that switching/mixing for you. Then you could also get a pair of “real” monitors like LSRs or ADAMs or KALI or something similar and use the mixer/interface as your preamp. It’s a sizable step up in budget (like $300-$400), but you’d have a nicer and much more durable setup.

Not to be elitist or to diss some speakers that you like or your buying decisions, etc, but those Mackies are pretty renowned for being unreliable and poor quality. It’s not a question of if they fail but when. I don’t recommend jumping back onto the ownership boat with them, because at a certain point you’re just buying future e-waste when you could invest in something much longer lasting.

I’d also recommend Audioengine or Kanto if you want something less expensive and fiddly than monitors but still much better than the Mackies. Both brands come in at the mostly $150-$500 range across lots of products and both have multiple inputs, not sure about your requirement for source blending tho.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 22, 2024