Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Jaxyon posted:

I have a 15+ yo Yamaha HTR-5730. It's been in storage for a few years.

I have a Athena Audio Micra6 system that is still pretty good, and I want a receiver to run it.

The Yamaha has no HDMI anything because, old, and I want a A/V receiver to replace it. What's a good comparable thing to slot in?

Does your TV support ARC or eARC? Do you have any other devices to plug in, such as DVD or blueray, PS5 etc?

If you are just watching streaming services like Netflix or Amazon video, I would just buy the cheapest 5.1 receiver, because you don't need any of the extra features.
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/pionvsx534-rb/pioneer-vsx-534-5.2-ch-x-80-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html This would be a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Do people still buy dedicated mp3 players? I have an ipod shuffle 2GB, but its lack of Bluetooth and only 2gb is really a drag.

Should I just buy whatever amazon recommends or is there a name brand that's above and beyond the others? I see the first result on amazon is a no-name $25 16GB with bluetooth, which is plenty for me.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

My AVR only has ARC (not eARC), but it supports things like TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. The AVR also only has 1080p output.

How do I use something like a Roku device and play 4k HDR video, while also outputting advanced audio to my receiver?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Internet Explorer posted:

I have a large stereo setup with an equally large subwoofer located behind a listening couch. How bad of an idea would it be to put a 2-3 inch solid wood table over it? There would be a maybe... 6 inch gap or so above the subwoofer before the table. I mostly care about the listening at the couch, less so with the rest of the room.

My sub is under this table I made using 2x4s, there is about 2-3 inches of clearance from the top of the sub to the underside of the table. Crazy amounts of bass, from both sitting next to it, and sitting on a couch 10 feet back.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Ham Equity posted:

One of the offices that I support has a Factor V-460 mixer amp wired into a house sound system in their lobby. They want to play royalty-free music off of basically an iPod. What would be a good .mp3 player to use these days? My usual go-to of Wirecutter doesn't seem to keep a list of well-regarded .mp3 players; it would be best if it didn't have a battery so we wouldn't have to worry about it swelling or exploding or anything, and we can just plug it into wall power. Their budget for this is pretty minimal, I doubt they'd be willing to spend more than a couple hundred dollars; is my best bet going to be just a surplus iPhone?

We have a thread for mp3 players :lol:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706092

HiBy R3 II (Gen 2) Hi-Fi Lossless Audio Player is highly rated.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Many cheap MP3 players on amazon have bluetooth and FM radio. I don't have any device to recommend, but you might want to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Tad Naff posted:

Oh I've looked. Basically all of them say they have FM and Bluetooth, but the fine print will say it's either/or. Closest thing is the dummy-earphone-antenna deal, and I've actually got an antenna that plugs into a headphone jack for such purposes, but it's still awkward.

I just remembered I have an old LG Velvet that has an FM tuner (but also wants wired earphones as an antenna), maybe I can hack up a cheap pair of earphones and hide the cable inside the case.

Oh I just remembered headphones I used to have in the 90's that had the FM radio built in:

https://www.headphonesty.com/2021/05/best-radio-headphones/

Would this fit what you need?