Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sri.Theo posted:

The just announced WiiM amp it says it has Spotify connect. Does anyone know if Spotify will let you cast to Sonos speakers at the same time as a Spotify connect device?

I’m still trying to connect my living speakers to my Sonos network without shelling out for the over priced Sonos amp.

Does the Spotify app let you select multiple outputs? If not the best way to do this is probably Airplay if you’ve got an iPhone or iPad. I solved my “mix Sonos with other stuff” problem in the most expensive possible way Roon so I can’t give more specific advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

RCA splitters almost always do something stupid. Maybe try a cheap crossover from the world of car audio?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Do people still buy dedicated mp3 players? I have an ipod shuffle 2GB, but its lack of Bluetooth and only 2gb is really a drag.

Should I just buy whatever amazon recommends or is there a name brand that's above and beyond the others? I see the first result on amazon is a no-name $25 16GB with bluetooth, which is plenty for me.

There are brands that make decent ones, Hiby, Fiio, Shanling, Aune, etc. a lot of them are pretty much cheap android phones with no cell radio and a headphone jack. There’s also a bunch that use roughly the iPod Nano form factor between $100 and 200.
https://hifigo.com/collections/portable
https://aoshida-audio.com/collections/portable-player
https://www.linsoul.com/collections/digital-audio-players

E: oh yeah there’s a dedicated thread for these as well

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bluetooth isn’t really for that, it’s more of a Wi-Fi thing. You could get two Wiim minis and Chromecast to them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

70V stuff is pretty specialized, it’s obviously not new technology but limited to commercial/professional installs so you might want to talk to an actual AV company about it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The only audio streamers with native Apple music support are the expensive Sonos Port, the also expensive Fiio R7 [which is basically just an android phone glued to a DAC/amp] and the even more expensive Eversolo A6 and A8. Everything else is Airplay. There's kind of one exception which is the Apple TV which has the downside of needing the display to be on, which I assume would be kind of A Thing with a projector in the mix.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

For $300 there's also the Wiim amp which has a remote available and could reduce the box count slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Hey quick question - if one has a 2.1 speaker setup connected to an AV receiver, is it better to use a PCM 2.0 or PCM 5.1 (which the receiver will down mix to 2.1) signal?

They should be roughly the same, difference is in surround content you’ll get the LFE channel instead of just the normal crossover point. Not sure if there’s much of a difference net net, I’d guess a lot of movie soundtracks can really lean on the LFE.