Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
One of the offices that I support has a Factor V-460 mixer amp wired into a house sound system in their lobby. They want to play royalty-free music off of basically an iPod. What would be a good .mp3 player to use these days? My usual go-to of Wirecutter doesn't seem to keep a list of well-regarded .mp3 players; it would be best if it didn't have a battery so we wouldn't have to worry about it swelling or exploding or anything, and we can just plug it into wall power. Their budget for this is pretty minimal, I doubt they'd be willing to spend more than a couple hundred dollars; is my best bet going to be just a surplus iPhone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Our dispatch office has a radio software we use that is essentially a soft radio; you plug a microphone and speakers into a computer, and run a client for the software, it connects to a server that is connected to the repeater. We bought one of these for the speakers about a year ago:

https://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blasterx-g5

And it seems to have cleaned up the sound a bit. We're running into some issues with the microphone, which is one of these:

https://essentialtradingsystems.com/product/vm-1s-usb-dispatch-microphone/

We're hearing distortion on the microphone, getting weird sound artifacts, etc. It's a USB microphone (USB-B out, specifically), they like that specific microphone, and it's the one recommended by the vendor. We're currently using a USB cable with ferrite chokes at both ends. Any recommendations for how we might clean up that signal at all? I'm downloading the latest firmware now to give that a try, but I'm not optimistic.

To be clear, we're not running the microphone through the external sound card, just the speakers, I just wanted to give some context of what the setup is.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 3, 2024

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

The user guide for the microphone says to set the input level in the windows settings to 50%-70% to start with. I recommend trying something like Audacity to see if you actually get clipping and if lowering that level helps.

Heh, when I was troubleshooting earlier today I dropped the mic level from 65 to 55. It maybe helped a little, but I did it at the same time as I was moving the cable around to get it away from other cables.