Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I have a nice pair of headphones powered through a DAC and AMP. I also have a subwoofer for bass that I run from the same AMP. So I have a 1/4" splitter that splits the AMP output with one going to my headphones and one going to my woofer.

This works well, however I have noticed that I get bleed across my left and right channels when my subwoofer is plugged into the splitter, but when I unplug the subwoofer, the audio bleed in my headphones no longer occurs. Any idea how I can fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

qirex posted:

RCA splitters almost always do something stupid. Maybe try a cheap crossover from the world of car audio?

Hmm its not an rca cable but I take your point.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Zorak of Michigan posted:

What does your full signal chain look like? Do you have any other outputs you could use to drive the sub?

My DAC is connected to my computer via USB. The DAC has a pair of RCA's coming out of the back, this is the only output it has and that goes to my amp which only has a single 1/4 Jack output which I'm splitting. It's an old magni/modi by schiit. The splitter goes to my headphones and then to a butt kicker gamer 2.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Want to throw money at the problem? Replace the amp with one that had a pass-through output.

Any suggestions? Just need something cheap that gets the job done but assuming it's not too expensive I'm game

Edit: https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-plus

The new magni by schiit seems to do it. Would this be an option?

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 11, 2023

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Looks like it would work to me.

So it doesn't work unfortunately because when the headphones are plugged in it auto mutes the output and this behavior cannot be overridden. So I tried a Y splitter coming from my DAC to the amp, and unfortunately that also caused complete bleed over across left and right channels basically mixing it into mono when plugged into the butt kicker. I am kinda at a loss. I need something that can forward the audio to the buttkicker but will isolate the sound I guess because for some reason it gets mixed to mono and then ends up getting back sent or somthing through the y splitter into the amp. If I unplug the connection at the butt kicker, it goes back to having proper left right stereo, but as soon as I plug it into the butt kicker it becomes mono in the headphones again.

I am kinda at a loss...

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Man that sucks. I hope you can return it. Auto-muting the output is a dumb thing to mandate.

Edit: do you have analog outs on your PC? If so, what OS do you run? If there's a way to enable multiple active outputs, driving the sub from the analog output should work. Also it would probably be something you could try for free.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRZCGY29?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

This solved it for me. FWIW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

I'm guessing it's between the Y-cable and the subwoofer? I wouldn't have expected that, but I'm glad you found an economical solution.

Yes, it goes DAC -> RCA y splitter:
- (First half of y splitter) headphone amp
- (second half) summing box -> subwoofer.