Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I see no car audio thread. I’ve recently bought a new vehicle and it’s got two of these things in it. They’re 10cm speakers, which is apparently 4”. I’m not expecting much out of tiny speakers, and there’s no way to fit anything larger, but I’d like something a little less tinny sounding if possible. Is that possible? I haven’t done any car audio poo poo in like 20 years so I have no idea what I’m doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Mederlock posted:

I'd keep them and put them in the rear doors, and then I'd recommend getting a pair of component speakers (woofer and tweeter separate but attached to a common crossover unit) that will fit like the Alpine S2-S40C , and use a Dremel or something to install the tweeters up in your top-front dash or in the plastic panel on the inside of where the car door mirror attaches(just below the A-Pillar). Your mid range frequency response will be much better if the woofer doesn't have to cover the high range and the mid range. Don't be spooked by the cutting into plastic, it's easy if you're careful, and if it makes you feel better, you can order a pair of those bolsters or whatever the heck they're called from a junkyard or rockauto and do the work on them.

I'd also recommend an 8" sub with it's amp's crossover point fairly high, it's a smaller sub than what most people would install, but you're using the sub to bridge the mid-low frequency gap that a 4" speaker is necessarily going to leave.

E: if you post a picture of the car door and upper dash area we may be able to make more specific recommendations on placement and suitability, etc. and a budget+music preferences would help as well

I should have clarified prior that this is not a typical vehicle. Some details:
- there are no rear doors, it's a 2-door truck
- there is no way to install speakers in the doors that do exist, at least not anything I'm willing to do at this point. It would require cutting a hole in the door card, and I'm not sure if there are cutouts/space within the door itself that could accommodate anything. The current speakers are mounted in the dash.
- there physically is no possible way to fit an 8" sub inside

My options are: keep these, or get some other 4" speakers that give a little more mid/low response. Those Alpines might do the trick, but I'll have to check on how much room there is on top of the dash for tweeter placement. If it turns out that sticking with what I have is the best option, then that's totally fine. I'd be okay spending around $100 (CAD) per speaker.

Photo (not mine, but same model) of the interior. You can see the speaker grills on the driver's side below the cupholder and buttons, and on the passenger side just above the glovebox.

edit; music taste is relatively varied, but mainly EDM (house, techno), pop punk, punk, metal.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 27, 2024

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Mederlock posted:

Yeah, I'd get the Alpine 's or something similar, and mount the tweeters on the top of the dash in cups or pods, or directly into the A pillar. I can give more specific advice on how and where if you do actually go with a component 2 part speaker system like the Alpine.

You can also get self-contained under seat subwoofers for tight interiors like yours, or you could mount it on the walls of the cab behind a seat or something. Something like this, they work pretty decently. https://www.amazon.com/10-Inch-Low-Profile-Amplified-Subwoofer-System/dp/B09MDLZLSS/

Thank you, this is all very useful info. I'll post up here again, or in the actual car audio thread (I forgot to check AI, oops) that mariooncrack posted, if I decide to make the upgrade. I'm going to see what my local car audio place has and go from there.

Under seat anything is also a no-go. Under the seats is the engine :v:

dc3k fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 28, 2024

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Ygolonac posted:

Engine under the seats kinda sounds like a cabover kei truck.

Yep. It’s a Daihatsu Hijet