Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I want to run a playstation 5 into a focusrite 18i8. The focusrite has 1/4" TRS mono line inputs, and the PS5 has HDMI audio which is all-in-one with the video out. Normally when I connect a stereo device to the focusrite I run two 1/4" cables, one for each stereo channel.

I had two ideas so far; I could use a HDMI audio breakout box or I could run a 1/8" headphone jack from the HDMI screen into a stereo splitter Y cable. I want this to be as simple as possible, but I'm also thinking that the max volume I can get running the HDMI signal into a line input might be too low?

I tested the levels by running 1/8" headphone out from my screen's headphone jack into a single mono TRS (one cable instead of two) and the levels were a little low, but maybe this is fixed by just having two of them. I had my mixer at +6dba which is maxed and the screen volume maxed.

From just a mechanical point of view the best adapter would be one 1/8" headphone female connector splitting into two 1/4" TRS male connectors, but I'm also thinking if I buy something like that I'm going to end up a splitter where right and left both get split instead of right and left ending up being on two different cables. It also seems somehow lower quality than just taking the audio signal off the HDMI, but this solution doesn't have to be super high quality, its just for playing games.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Ah okay that makes sense thank you! I found an adapter online for TRS -> two TS connectors and that explains how to avoid a splitter with stereo on both halves as well.