Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I do a good portion of my music listening on my PC, so I'm trying to give myself the best listening experience possible via PC. I have a great pair of headphones, a sound card with a DAC, and I've been engaged in a pretty lengthy process of switching from .mp3 to .flac files. I re-ripped all of my CD's, re-downloaded all of my Bandcamp purchases, etc.

The thing that I'm stuck on now is finding a satisfactory app to play these loving things. I had no complaints about iTunes - its queue function was intuitive, and it was easy to browse. Perhaps I think those things because iTunes is what I've been using for 15 years. But at any rate, I find the .flac-capable players that are most commonly recommended (Windows Media Player, VLC, Foobar, and so on) all to have one serious shortcoming or another. Is there any .flac player that is a straight-up iTunes clone?

Perhaps, most specifically, the thing that I miss that iTunes had was this: nothing went onto your play queue without you specifically asking for it. If you clicked "play" on an album, it would play through the whole thing, but if you clicked something else and hit "play later" it would take precedence over anything that you hadn't specifically designated as a play next/play later track. I've been using Windows Media Player and it unpredictably adds things to the play queue, and removing them requires manually clicking each track individually instead of shift + click to bulk select.

That's really specific, I know, but if there's a .flac player that faithfully replicates the iTunes queue experience, I'd love to hear about it. I'm willing to pay even!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Plexamp says it requires access to a Plex Media Server. I can't just use it to play files directly from my hard drive? I think I need something that can do that, unless a Plex media server is something that I just shouldn't be living without.