Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This may be beyond the scope of this thread-if there’s a better thread please direct me towards it.

I’m trying to troubleshoot a small sound/PA system for a community organization. There are two wireless mics, a CD player, a mixer (I think) all feeding into an amp which then has outputs to two sets of speakers. Back of what I think is the amp:

Upstairs set of speakers is two of these:

Downstairs set of speakers is 4 of these:

plus 3 speakers (brand/model unknown) mounted in a porch ceiling. They have a separate volume control knob on a wall downstairs. The volume for the other speakers are all controlled at the mixer, upstream of the amp.

I’m not at all a sound guy, my understand is mic receivers and CD player input into mixer, mixer outputs to amp, amp outputs to speakers. Everything upstream of the amp (mic receivers, mixer) seems to work fine. Recently on the amp the light for one of the 2 channels wouldnt light up and the downstairs speakers didn’t work, but the upstairs did. As there was in upcoming event that night and we only needed the downstairs speakers, we swapped the speaker output wires on the back of the amp and made the downstairs speakers work but obviously don’t have upstairs speakers working right now.

Is the amp just dead in one channel? Is a new amp the solution, or at least a good first troubleshooting step? This appears to be the newer model of the existing amp:
https://www.guitarcenter.com/QSC/GX3-Stereo-Power-Amplifier-1274034490353.gc
Is some like this appropriate?
The other ‘technically minded but also not a sound guy’ guy that helps with this kind of stuff thought this might be more appropriate as it has 70v of output which we need?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Is either or both of those sufficient?

All of that is the immediate problem-more long term and more annoyingly is the quality of sound we get from the system. It works basically okay when not many people are in the building, but when there are a 150 people inside the quality gets very bad, boomy, and there is a weird humming, almost like a siren in the background. I have no idea where that interference comes from-some folks say it started when they got a new alarm installed a few years ago, or maybe when they got a new AC system, or maybe it’s always been there.

This system is probably 20-30 years old and I imagine technology has moved a long way in that time. Would we be better off looking at a newer wireless system vs trying to get this one fixed? Budget isn’t a huge issue but is of course always some concern. There are a lot of older people who use the space and the current system really just doesn’t work well for them at all.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help or suggestions of where else to ask! And if the answer ‘who knows, hire a sound guy’ that’s okay too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU