Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
#1 and #2 are salt and whole black peppercorns, there's a reason black pepper is such a popular spice the world over that it's taken for granted and considered so default that every recipe book in the world will just assume you already have it in your kitchen. Honestly you could go a long way with just salt and pepper as seasonings. You can make a perfectly fine roast chicken or salmon filet with just salt and pepper and oil or butter. Salt and pepper go on everything. Try cooking without them for a week. You will fail. Undisputed GOAT seasonings.

Continuing in no particular order:

whole cumin
turmeric powder
kashmiri chili powder
whole cloves
coriander
cinnamon
cardamom

I cook a lot of Indian dishes, and I have a crappy old blade coffee grinder that I use exclusively for grinding spices. It takes very little time to heat some whole cumin, coriander, peppercorns, cardamom and cloves in a dry pan until you hear the seeds start to pop and then grind them for a fresh garam masala that will be way better than whatever store bought powder has been sittin the back of your cupboard for years. Whole spices keep better than pre-ground too!
And those individual spices are all quite versatile and can be used for lots of things besides curry.
Whole cumin by itself is great as a base for any stir fry with some garlic and ginger and onions, plus it goes well on things like pork chops or fish as well.
Cloves, cinnamon and cardamom are great for both savory meat dishes and sweet baking. I love to put ground cardamom in things like milk bread or panna cotta or even creme brulée

Kashmiri chili powder has become my go to instead of cayenne or any other red chili, I like the flavour and it's not too overpoweringly hot in reasonable quantities.
Turmeric is essential for masoor dal (red lentil) dishes which I make fairly regularly.

Last spot is hard, maybe vanilla, maybe nutmeg. If i'm doing any dessert / sweet baking vanilla probably gets the pick as an essential.

Scientastic posted:

IT'S JUST SALT, IT'S DOESN'T MATTER WHICH BRAND YOU USE
I will never understand people who insist on using fancy salt for anything where the salt is going to be dissolved, be that pasta water, sauces, even dry brining. It really does not matter and you are throwing money away if you use fancy fluffy crystal salt anywhere that you don't have visible salt crystals on top of something so the texture of it will actually matter. Bon Appetit is terrible for this, I think they must be paid off by Mortons and Diamond.

P.S. you noticed what no one has picked for their top 10 here? Bay Leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU