Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
-- #01: Cumin
-- #02: Cinnamon
-- #03: Nutmeg
For all of the above, if I'm cooking a recipe that calls for one of those spices, and the only thing I have access to is the pre-ground version, I will seriously consider just not making the recipe. Once you get used to how much different recipes taste using whole, home-toasted spices, it's difficult to go back.

-- #04: Pink/black peppercorn blend
The "four peppercorn blend mixes" are easily the best upgrade you'll ever make to a home-cooked steak, and pretty much anywhere else that you'd want to put on a grind of fresh black pepper. Watch out for mixes that like to include other spices like coriander; nothing wrong with coriander, just not what I want in my pepper grinder.

-- #05: Garlic powder
Any recipe I make that calls for garlic (which is pretty much every non-dessert recipe I cook), I typically put both in fresh garlic and garlic powder - I had long felt like adding both created a different flavor profile than either on their own, and watching the following video on the topic has cemented my opinion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgES_Oj6-tQ

-- #06: Cayenne
Goes in everything. Savory, sweet, a big spoonful or a little dash, literally goes in everything. Bam.

-- #07: Smoked paprika
One of those things I can't really think of a good substitute for. Liquid smoke has its place but I wouldn't say it's the same.

-- #08: Tony Chachere's
There are just too many recipes in deep southern cooking that benefit from a dash or two of Cachere's. Soul food, cajun/creole, blandass yankee dishes, you name it.

-- #09: Old Bay
I'm pretty sure Old Bay is the foundation of all American seafood recipes.

-- #10: Marie Sharp's hot sauce
Both as an ingredient and as an accompanyment to the finished product. Not super-hot, and with a sweet, tropical note from the habenero base. Easily my favorite hot sauce, and goes with drat near any type of cuisine I can think of.

Special shout-outs go to cardamom, fennel, star anise, cloves, coriander, turmeric, bay leaves, and cashews - I don't need these as often as most of the above, but if I know I'm going to be cooking a specific cuisine or set of recipes they absolutely travel with me. Accept no substitutes for whole, freshly ground & toasted spices. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Seconding the Slap Ya Mama blend.