Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

This is a good question, and I put more thought into it than I'd intended. In rough order of how I'd grab things in putting together my essential list (but not necessarily how much I'd need them):
  • Salt (Diamond Crystal, duh)
  • Good black peppercorns. Gotta get the good ones
  • Aleppo flakes, which are the best kind of pepper flake
  • MSG
  • Fresh lemons. Too many people just have a squeeze bottle of lemon juice in the fridge, and not only is that so much worse than fresh juice, but it means you can't use the zest either, and I need that zest.
  • Thyme, same reason as Dino, it's my go to dried herb.
  • Cumin seeds
  • Mustard seeds
  • Miso paste best paste
  • Tajín, which is such a shortcut I almost feel bad for including it, but it's so good as a finisher on so much
I can wing basically anything I regularly cook by throwing all of this in a bundle and taking it wherever I gotta be, or just pulling it out of the cabinet and making poo poo up on the spot. I know I included MSG and miso, but they serve different purposes and I'm nearly always going to want access to some kind of umami boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Diamond Crystal has a lighter texture and is less dense than Morton's, so I can confidently measure things in pinches using it that will be oversalted if I use Morton's. I know by feel how much is the right amount of salt to grab for a pot of beans and what it looks like to sprinkle the amount of Diamond I use on anything, and when I've used Mortons, I routinely oversalt. It's why I gotta grab that brand, and I know I don't always find it in stores