Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

This is a thread for posting about things that make you cry, ideally interesting ones. Sometimes you just need a good cry. Do be a pal and put content warnings before any that may be disturbing. You can also post about something that used to make you cry, but no longer does, and why.

Thread Rule: If you're going to make fun of someone for the dumb thing that makes them cry, you MUST post the dumbest thing that makes you cry! Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

I'll start with the dumbest thing that makes me cry.
Plumber's Best Friend by Matthew Taranto
It's maudlin as gently caress. It's incredibly geeky, and not in a cute way. It's the classic case of someone trying to inject pathos into a totally non-emotional video game scenario. And... it's a heartfelt expression of mourning by the creator for his recently-passed dog. :qq: So it makes me cry every time. I literally welled up with tears opening the video to retrieve the link for this post.

This one is not really dumb, it is obviously designed to make you sad. Content warning: Discussion of animal abuse. Also there's a kitten that is playing the part of a dead kitten but clearly is actually just asleep.
"Kitten" by RSCPA
I was just going to post this one as something that makes me cry but honestly it's really not as sad as I remember. In my memory it was just the voiceover and the footage of the sleeping (but actually dead (but really actually just sleeping)) cat, talking about how it did not deserve the treatment it received, ending with the double whammy of someone covering it with a blanket or something and the "never know how sweet life can be" line. I totally forgot about the scene with the human actors in the middle which honestly kind of ruins it for me. The actors are fine but it really kills the mood and shifts the momentum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I can only really think of two things that make me cry recently. One of them is talking about my mom, who passed away about twenty years ago now, but managed to be inspiring and generous about her own death, something I didn't even know it was possible to be, and was probably one of the best humans I've ever known.

The other, which probably pales a bit in comparison, is a bit near the end of Harrow the Ninth, where a character finally comes to terms with their loss, or at least as close as they're able to. Even on a re-read, the catharsis gets me choked up a bit, and a bit misty-eyed. This is possibly because I'm a dumb dork who really gets into books I read, but there you go.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Like 70% of Lilo and Stitch makes me weepy. This scene especially though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTZofMeIgTg

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

is Grave of the Fireflies cheating?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Nuns with Guns posted:

Like 70% of Lilo and Stitch makes me weepy. This scene especially though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTZofMeIgTg

Yeah it's definitely movies I love

What Dreams May Come destroys me

Probably even more now that Robin is gone

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

maybealabia posted:

Yeah it's definitely movies I love

What Dreams May Come destroys me

Probably even more now that Robin is gone

Oh, gently caress. I forgot, and once again its a "feels like cheating"-thing, but Up, man.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Oh, here's a real heartbreaker. So if you don't know Glenn Campbell, he was a country singer with a super long and successful career. He retired from music in 2010, but less than a year into his retirement he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He immediately went back on tour and performed until it progressed to the point where he could no longer perform. At some point in this time period he recorded his final studio album and his final original song. That song was not released until 2014, at which point he had left the public eye and been admitted to the long-term care facility where he would spend the rest of his days.

Glenn Campbell - I'm Not Gonna Miss You

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Sort of a combination of tears of heartwarmingness and deep sadness, but when PYF Cute Thread superstar Tater Tot died suddenly this piece of art gave me a lot of comfort :gbsmith:

(spoilering just in case someone doesn't want to see reference to pet death of a little kitty.)
https://twitter.com/kibbowle/status/1688424744981299200

Which is a reference to the last drawing of Louis Wain, which is a poignant story by itself

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTu1R4b1yZQ

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's dorky as hell, I suppose, but the dream sequence in Pentiment when Andreas 'meets' August for the first time (in the game). Never before have ellipses been so emotionally charged.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Earlier this year - a few months before Sinead O'Connor passed away - Pink did this performance of Nothing Compares 2 U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLHGc1lO7_A

I had never really thought twice about Pink before but she actually has a lovely voice

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

also cock and ball torture

Alienwarez
Feb 9, 2004

This Storycorps video ruined me the first time I watched it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNfvuJr9164

"I always said the only thing I have to give you is a poor gift and it's myself. And I always gave it." - That's the line that gets me, especially after the previous part of the video.

Also, being a new parent, with an aging mother myself, this drat book kills me every time I see the cover:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Alienwarez posted:

Also, being a new parent, with an aging mother myself, this drat book kills me every time I see the cover:

Congratulations on the new bundle of joy! Take comfort that the book is way creepier than the cover would imply. I bought a copy for my toddler and returned it the next day.

Nowadays the dumbest poo poo makes me cry. I guess I'm at that age. I'm lucky if I can get through Springsteen's "Downbound Train" or "The River" without getting choked up. We sing this song at church for holidays like Memorial Day and Veterans' Day and when war broke out in Ukraine, and I love it deeply and can't even think about it without crying: https://youtu.be/WDXNHPeRB0k (lyrics)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
What? Unless I'm massively misremembering something isn't it just a normal children's picture book about a kid growing up to adulthood and eventually taking care of their (now elderly) mother?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mycot posted:

What? Unless I'm massively misremembering something isn't it just a normal children's picture book about a kid growing up to adulthood and eventually taking care of their (now elderly) mother?

Maija Kappler posted:

The beginning, where the mom repeatedly tells her baby how much she loves him, even when he’s being super annoying? That’s adorable. The end, when the son is grown up and sings to his ill mother, and then to his own baby? Unspeakably moving. But it’s the middle — the part where the son is a grown adult living on his own, and the mom will occasionally sneak into his bedroom to check on him and sing him a lullaby — that’s kind of weird.

“It’s a beautiful story,” [Topher Payne] said. “When the mother’s actions are taken metaphorically, it expresses a parent’s boundless love for their child, and the desire to nurture and offer affection at all stages of the child’s life.”

But when taken literally, it’s a bit iffy, to say the least — especially because of the implication that the son will repeat his mom’s slightly creepy behaviour.

“It sets up the cycle of behaviour repeating itself in the end,” Payne said. “Clearly the son is inheriting his mother’s routine, and presumably her ladder. That’s just chilling.”

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, it's the whole "sneaking into your grown child's or elderly mother's house at night to rock them" part that made us nope out. My son and I promised each other we would love each other forever and all the other good stuff in that book, sans the late-night breaking and entering.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I remember reading that book a lot as a kid. I didn't take that "breaking into adult son's house to rock him to sleep at night" to be a literal thing but yeah there's a lot of discussion about how weird it is depending on how you take those bits.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Classic (non-sad) Sesame Street songs have made me cry, I think because an adult worked hard to make something fun for children without sacrificing quality. Like, "ABC-DEF..." is a really good and clever song, considering!

"But somewhere in the middle
It gets awful QR to me..."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y0ffj__R4g

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

My dumbest one might be this new Yoasobi/Hatsune Miku video. I don't usually listen to vocaloids, it's just the journey of the main character that gets me in this one. Starts off with a head full of bad thoughts and listening to the funny robot girl sing inspires her to express herself artistically and it makes her happy again and aaaaaaa here I go again :cry: :cry: :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4AxMk3SGUY&t=5s

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Here is a playlist of miso paste commercials that absolutely get me every time, especially the Home Sick Together one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOVe4VaWa-Y

Edit also here's two songs that remind me of my childhood cat who we put down a few years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFnQaFVHdsE

This song is about Mary Queen of Scots but towards the end of her life my cat lost the use of her legs and I would carry her bed to different windows for her to look out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RejzitkxBUA

I would not, if I could, make this the end
Be not angry
It's hard to leave the good, to lose a friend
Do not be angry
:(

Killingyouguy! has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Oct 2, 2023

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Also, one time when I was PMSing I started sobbing thinking about the DIY ethic of the punk music scene

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Just you wait. Perimenopause is a bitch.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
They’re rather obvious, but the opening montage in Up, the final fight scene in Warrior, pretty much all of Band of Brothers episode “Why We Fight”, the film Philadelphia. I’m a basic bitch, it has to be said.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
seconding most of Lilo and Stitch.

also Happily Ever After Here We Are from the Steven Universe movie.

Crying at songs from cartoons all day and feeling no shame

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

seconding most of Lilo and Stitch.

also Happily Ever After Here We Are from the Steven Universe movie.

Crying at songs from cartoons all day and feeling no shame

Most of the songs from SU, especially on a second+ rewatch once you know what's up

Stronger Together
Isn't it over
here comes a thought
The dang end credits

Jeez what a good show

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Ariong posted:

Oh, here's a real heartbreaker. So if you don't know Glenn Campbell, he was a country singer with a super long and successful career. He retired from music in 2010, but less than a year into his retirement he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He immediately went back on tour and performed until it progressed to the point where he could no longer perform. At some point in this time period he recorded his final studio album and his final original song. That song was not released until 2014, at which point he had left the public eye and been admitted to the long-term care facility where he would spend the rest of his days.

Glenn Campbell - I'm Not Gonna Miss You

Yeah this is devastating as is the documentary about his last tour. I love me some Glen Campbell.

Hirayuki posted:

Classic (non-sad) Sesame Street songs have made me cry, I think because an adult worked hard to make something fun for children without sacrificing quality. Like, "ABC-DEF..." is a really good and clever song, considering!

"But somewhere in the middle
It gets awful QR to me..."

Sometimes my iPhone will play I Don't Want to Live on the Moon by Ernie which gets me every time. I can't bring myself to delete it even though my kid can almost drive and doesn't remember much about Sesame Street

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIq8jLj5TzU

But the absolute dumbest thing I tear up about is sometimes I get to watch The Price is Right and at the end sometimes Drew says "I love you" and for whatever reason it gets me

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Lucas's climactic battle with Claus in MOTHER 3, especially the line "Lucas remembered Claus's smell." Oh my God, it destroys me. I only played the game once, maybe 14 years ago, and I can't even think about the line without falling apart. The game was advertised as making people cry, and boy, did it deliver.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

I went to a GY!BE show a couple of weeks ago, and the live performance of World Police and Friendly Fire was so intense that half of us in the audience were just standing there with tears running down our faces. It was wild.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

My father would sing You are my sunshine to me as a child. He died two years ago and the song still makes me cry. Here is a particularly good version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MevYCdn5S8

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Goodbye Geno, Dreams of Window Stars from Super Mario RPG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1it3c_eu5cs

This is my cliched "reminds me of when I was a kid"; Super Mario RPG was hella formative to me, established my love of JRPG games and orchestral soundtracks. I played it when I lived in America from when I was 6 to when I was 9, and it just reminds me of a much simpler time in my life.

David Stewart's song Ordinary Miracle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATbqq0jy1lw

The most famous version of this song was performed by Sarah McLachlan for the film Charlotte's Webb, which I've never seen, this is the original. It came up on some Spotify playlist I was subscribed to in November 2011, when I was making a desperate drive home from London to my hometown so I could be there as my childhood cat, Hobbes, was put to sleep. My family's local vet agreed to see him after hours to give me the best possible chance and I made it just in time for the appointment. Hobbes was my ordinary miracle; a rescue we happened upon when visiting a local farm back when we lived in the USA who came back with us to the UK, a constant companion through an extremely difficult adolescence and I was there for him at the end just as he was always there for me. I put this song on when I need a cathartic cry thinking about every miraculous thing that's happened in my life, or when I find myself missing Hobbes as I often do.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Marcade posted:

My father would sing You are my sunshine to me as a child. He died two years ago and the song still makes me cry. Here is a particularly good version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MevYCdn5S8
This does it for me, too. My grandparents and parents would sing it to me, and my parents and I would sing it to my little one. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
In the entertainment world, my teary moment was from the 70s sitcom Soap and the end of Elaine's story arc.

I'm spoilering in case you want to watch it yourself.

She starts out as a spoiled brat daughter of a mafia don and then you learn why she ended up that way.

Her sister died in a car wreck and her father told her he wished it had been her

When she finally got to a good place she was shot by kidnappers and died in her husband's arms.

"I'm home."

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

it was something about my kitty but it turns out i can't even type it out, cool cool

edit: so there's something that makes me cry, i guess, is trying to write about my cat's rough kittenhood

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Gravid Topiary posted:

it was something about my kitty but it turns out i can't even type it out, cool cool

edit: so there's something that makes me cry, i guess, is trying to write about my cat's rough kittenhood

Aw it's okay I'm the same way. We adopted my cat Moe a few months after he was born. The humane society employee informed me that Moes mom was put down the same day she gave birth to her litter and every time I think about that I lose it :(

It's so stupid because it's just a stray cat, an animal I've never met, but I hope she'd like me and Moe

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Punkinhead posted:

Aw it's okay I'm the same way. We adopted my cat Moe a few months after he was born. The humane society employee informed me that Moes mom was put down the same day she gave birth to her litter and every time I think about that I lose it :(

gently caress that's sad :(

neuromantic
Oct 5, 2023

typerä nainen
a lot of music moves me to tears for various reasons. when i listen to this song, there's a 50/50 chance that i'll cry because it'll make me think of the abuse i experienced as a child. the vocal delivery is powerful, and the lyrics cut me to my core. if you're willing to look past it being an ABBA song (i think they're a genuinely amazing band, but i know not everyone enjoys them)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KcJx4OHFAk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'll avoid music for right now, because that seems too easy, but I always get choked up when I come across the advice John Custer gives to his Son in the comic series "Preacher" by Garth Ennis:

"Dont take no poo poo off fools..an' you judge a person by what's in 'em, not how they look...an you do the right thing. You gotta be one of the good guys, son: 'cause there's way too many of the bad."