Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I have a terrible disease that makes me want a rasp pi even though I will never ever actually use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i've got a 1 sitting in a drawer, because it's basically useless now, and a 3 with shairport-sync for an old stereo in the back of the basement

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jenny Agutter posted:

how many pi’s do you have running in your home right now? I just have one zero dub running a pi hole and print server and homebridge , but I have a 4 loaded with a retroarch front end that I’ll DEFINITELY use someday

e: just remembered my slow movie player, I think that’s a 3B+

1, i use it to play roms on my tv

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I have wanted to use some small computer with an external e-ink display but I’ve always been too lazy to figure out how to find the right devices and get a project going

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
I have 2,

a "B" that acts as a print server for a label printer in my basement and tracks the humidity in my basement

a 3 that gathers reading from wireless temperature sensors around the house and records every airplane's ADS-B info within range of me

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

MononcQc posted:

I have wanted to use some small computer with an external e-ink display but I’ve always been too lazy to figure out how to find the right devices and get a project going

that's what my slow movie player is

its just an e-ink piHAT on a rpi3 plus a frame I designed in blender. there are all sorts of e-ink displays that interface with raspberry pis

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

there are all sorts of e-ink displays that interface with raspberry pis

yeah that’s the problem, I don’t really know where to get started with getting all that stuff

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

MononcQc posted:

yeah that’s the problem, I don’t really know where to get started with getting all that stuff

adafruit is an excellent site to get things like that imo. like sure you can save some cash and buy from ali or whatever but i like the company

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah don’t they tend to have code examples and that kinda poo poo too?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Eeyo posted:

yeah don’t they tend to have code examples and that kinda poo poo too?

yup. it’s all pretty rad imo, they do all sorts of weird little things

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i talk a lot of poo poo about technology generally but adafruit is a bright spot

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rotor posted:

cpu power was really never something i had a problem with wrt rpis so idk if this is an important thing for me.

remember when nbsd claimed that a SPARCstation 20 would be faster than a Raspberry Pi? I got my 15 minutes of fame among the HackersNews proving him wrong

(yes, nbsd, even the I/O is substantially faster on the Pi, that’s what a difference of nearly 20 years gets you)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Eeyo posted:

i used a pi 3 for one of my work projects. it's now sitting in the beamline, reading a voltmeter, and adjusting voltages.

thankfully in a few years when the sd card dies it's not my problem!!!

if it’s sitting in the beamline then the SD card is probably going to die quite a bit more quickly than that

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

nudgenudgetilt posted:

dude really needs to learn to present. loudly barks the first syllable of every sentence, then inaudibly mumbles the rest

reminds me of

https://youtu.be/4APcgsRdW6w

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

MononcQc posted:

i picked up the e-ink at my local microcenter :smugmrgw: but in addition to what others have said, this site has a bunch of displays at all different sizes and prices https://www.waveshare.com/epaper

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'll have to look at all that stuff for a winter project I imagine!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i have a raspberry pi that's an ssh bastion and ostensibly runs pinole (but we don't use it cause we got sick of poo poo breaking)

and another one broadcasts somafm over fm

and another one is a dmr hotspot for ham radio (it's a product i bought that's built on a raspberry pi)

and one or two more in drawers. one of them is a weird industrial(?) form factor and i don't remember which edition, one is a 4, i wanna say the hotspot is built on a 4, and i think i have a 1 and a 2 in my radio-stuff bin

little jones is gonna need a computer one of these days, maybe i'll give him a raspberry pi with linux to ensure that he hates them with every fiber of his being

if they make a 5 built into a keyboard like they did the 4, i'll probably get him that

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 1, 2023

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

little jones is gonna need a computer one of these days, maybe i'll give him a raspberry pi with linux to ensure that he hates them with every fiber of his being

i did this with my computer class for a few years teaching them with pygame, it went surprisingly well

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

british nerds have an incomparable quality, there’s nothing quite like them anywhere else

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

not much OP, what's eben upton with you?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Silver Alicorn posted:

send it to me and I can put it in one of my drawers instead

please don’t put computer in your underpants

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Management posted:

please don’t put computer in your underpants

too late

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jenny Agutter posted:

how many pi’s do you have running in your home right now? I just have one zero dub running a pi hole and print server and homebridge , but I have a 4 loaded with a retroarch front end that I’ll DEFINITELY use someday

e: just remembered my slow movie player, I think that’s a 3B+

i have a zero plugged in running pihole and it was unreliable enough that i stopped using the pihole and now i just have a zero eating up a couple watts doing nothing useful

mystes
May 31, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I have a terrible disease that makes me want a rasp pi even though I will never ever actually use it
luckily by the time you can actually buy them the raspberry pi 6 will be released but not actually purchasable so you can just switch to wanting and not being able to buy that one

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
add me to the list of people with one that's running pihole. never had any problem with pihole or the pi itself, despite the fact it resides somewhere in the incredibly dusty pile of tangled routers, switches, modems, power bars and cables which i lovingly call my home network infrastructure

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I'm one of the absolute fools who has been stuck in the cycle: surely this time the new version will be powerful enough to run all of these poorly optimized emulators correctly.

The fan thing has got me thinking of jumping ship to one of the fanless nuc-alikes.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i just realized all my pis deal with printers. I have one providing airprint to a cheapo laser printer and another one running octoprint to manage a 3d printer.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

stay strong, you don’t actually need more nerd poo poo in your house

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I have a Pi4 with a GPS hat and antenna that reads in GPS PPS signals and acts as an NTP server for my home network. I have some Arduino-based clocks that are synced by said NTP server and it's all very cool and hands off

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I'm one of the absolute fools who has been stuck in the cycle: surely this time the new version will be powerful enough to run all of these poorly optimized emulators correctly.

The fan thing has got me thinking of jumping ship to one of the fanless nuc-alikes.

you could prolly just put a big phatty heatsink on it

also it seems like this emulates up to wii fine for many games

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
do they still employ the cop?

also my experience with raspis has made them seem even worse than your average embedded linux crap. hrm yes i would like to rely on a closed blob spurting into my gpu to boot and a community that thinks you can solve every problem with a nodejs 'web server' talking to gpio pins

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i’m glad to hear pi will now live its authentic life. seems strange to preannounce tho

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

mediaphage posted:

you could prolly just put a big phatty heatsink on it

I've got to rep the flirc, it works very well on the 4, who knows on the 5

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

people are always trying to do giant source builds directly on their raspb pi and wondering why it doesn't work

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

echinopsis posted:

wait didnt they just release the raspbery pi 3

I actually thought this for a half second while clicking on the thread :negative:

I have some Pis ( :haw: ) but I only use one of them for printer stuff, the others I just randomly do a thing on now now and then that doesn't work quite the way I want because I'm a dumbass and then they go back in the pile.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Manneken Pi5

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

raspberry pi lookin to IPO :rip::rip::rip:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007