Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

poty posted:

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/introducing-raspberry-pi-5/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo5wb4LDWW4

2x faster is neat (maybe it will usable as a vpn router now?) but having only skimmed the blog it im a bit worried that the default case has a fan now and the power supply is 27w rather than 15w. hopefully they havent gone too crazy and made it a noisy monster

i have a fan plugged into my 4 and it's undetectable if you're not literally right next to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

our neighbours felt bad for selling their house so gave me a 4 lol

currently its just running pihole but my so wants to gently caress around with home assistant so it'll prolly go on there too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

shitface posted:

ha is ridiculously loving good at this point. like if you’re considering it as a hobby/something to gently caress around with because you expect it to be perpetually broken you can put that out of your mind. it’s v stable

consider dedicating the pi to ha-os and (re)installing pihole as an add-on (couple of clicks and you’re done) rather than doing the basic install in a pyenv. it’s that that you get anything you couldn’t otherwise accomplish but poo poo like adding Grafana is just trivial when you do it that way

yea i saw that that was the preferred option. it seems like a smaller contingent run it in docker on the pi, which i'm not sure it'd make a difference to me, i don't really have much else i'd put on the pi. is asterisk still a thing people do? i've been thinking with the iffy cell reception in my desk area i might like a desk phone at home

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

MononcQc posted:

yeah that’s the problem, I don’t really know where to get started with getting all that stuff

adafruit is an excellent site to get things like that imo. like sure you can save some cash and buy from ali or whatever but i like the company

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Eeyo posted:

yeah don’t they tend to have code examples and that kinda poo poo too?

yup. it’s all pretty rad imo, they do all sorts of weird little things

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Management posted:

please don’t put computer in your underpants

too late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I'm one of the absolute fools who has been stuck in the cycle: surely this time the new version will be powerful enough to run all of these poorly optimized emulators correctly.

The fan thing has got me thinking of jumping ship to one of the fanless nuc-alikes.

you could prolly just put a big phatty heatsink on it

also it seems like this emulates up to wii fine for many games