Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in form 5 which in america is freshman @ high school year I told myself that studying for exams was cheating because then the marks you get are not a true reflection of what you know

which is an extremely convenient belief if you don’t wanna do any study lol

still got 83% for math. only passed 4/6 subjects. which put me in good stead for future failings, of which I have become an aficionado
(and this meant I didn’t actually pass the year, but was still allowed to progress)

the next year I only passed one subject :smugmrgw: BUT lol I passed that one subject so well (it was computer studies and I came top in the school (cheers dylan for suggesting I do it, I wasn’t gonna but he said it’d be easy)) it raised my average up enough that overall I actually passed that year despite failing every other subject
(6th form had a very weird grade system that combined grades into a total score that allowed this to happen)

then the final year, I took 5th form music (ie freshman music during my senior year), and because I passed that class, I then ended up passing 5th form / junior year during my senior year :smugmrgw:

I did not pass my senior year, meaning I did not get university entrance. but my parents were somewhat anti intellectual and I had no idea why someone would go to university, I don’t just mean like motivation wise, I literally had no idea what benefits or purpose getting a degree would give anyone.

end result ? I was cool in high school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
post your fave high school tales itt

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

post your fave high school tales itt

in 4th form (last year of junior high) I met a girl and she told about going to a christian easter camp and people prayed for her and she fell over in the spirit and I believed it and then on her recommendation I started going to church and believed in jesus asap and then the next year I went to a christian camp in a city 4 hours away and I met a girl there and we started a long distance high school relationship and one school holidays I went down to see her and took her out for lunch at burger king

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I was both active in the band and theatre so you can probably guess

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i was a nerd that was just socially aware enough to still get invited to parties and girls would talk to me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
later on I married the girl who first introduced me to the lord

Hen
Aug 22, 2006

I was in the group that was neither nerd nor cool so we ended up with a bunch of disparate misfits like skaters but also theater kids and some sports kids etc

Hen
Aug 22, 2006

Hen posted:

I was in the group that was neither nerd nor cool so we ended up with a bunch of disparate misfits like skaters but also theater kids and some sports kids etc

lotta children of divorced parents up in there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

i was a nerd that was just socially aware enough to still get invited to parties and girls would talk to me

hell yeah brother

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

echinopsis posted:

in 4th form (last year of junior high) I met a girl and she told about going to a christian easter camp and people prayed for her and she fell over in the spirit and I believed it and then on her recommendation I started going to church and believed in jesus asap and then the next year I went to a christian camp in a city 4 hours away and I met a girl there and we started a long distance high school relationship and one school holidays I went down to see her and took her out for lunch at burger king

omg echi, you have burger king in nz?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hen posted:

lotta children of divorced parents up in there

was polyester concept and I parents of your friends groups??

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Hen posted:

yeah this is pretty much me, i was a loner. ate lunch alone, didn't go to parties, didn't really have many friends.

Hen
Aug 22, 2006

echinopsis posted:

was polyester concept and I parents of your friends groups??

are either of you alcoholics

Hen
Aug 22, 2006

Eeyo posted:

yeah this is pretty much me, i was a loner. ate lunch alone, didn't go to parties, didn't really have many friends.

We were like a collection of loners that ate lunch together

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Hen posted:

are either of you alcoholics

👀

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
suffice to say I was a big fuckin nerd and I still am, but better socially adjusted at least.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Eeyo posted:

now you have us :kiddo:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

echinopsis posted:

took her out for lunch at burger king

hmmmmm

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

anyway i didn't go to hs they said it'd be a big waste of my time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you had better things to do

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op you’re asking posters in the “Your Operating System is a Piece of poo poo” subforum of a Web 1.0 “comedy” site if they were cool in high school

the answer is obviously “yes”

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i was very cool in high school, i became a big nerd later in my life

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Misfit pothead, but we were also massive fuckin' nerds to the point of starting an after school Magic the Gathering thing

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

rotor posted:

i was very cool in high school, i became a big nerd later in my life

i was a big nerd in high school but became cool later in my life

(still a nerd tho)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ok let’s just also say there was a girl hitting on me in my ap biology class, and I sorta knew it, but at the time I had been telling myself that school was more important than relationships and I ignored her intentionally

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I was a huge nerd, but an attractive one? and then I got into drugs and continued to be a nerd, but the losers now feared me, and my friend group was pretty solidly misfits by then

I didn’t rly like highschool, all the ppl I was closest with left to alternative hs, the arts hs that required a portfolio, or dropped out and finished up at adult hs like myself

tho we did have some fun and got up to a bunch of trouble, my experiences post hs were way better in most every way lol

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i was a nerd but i went to a highschool full of nerds so i did p good in terms of friends and making a girlfriend

still good acquaintances with many people from their incl my ex

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

ok let’s just also say there was a girl hitting on me in my ap biology class, and I sorta knew it, but at the time I had been telling myself that school was more important than relationships and I ignored her intentionally

I remember a beautiful girl drawing hearts in my notebook but I was too self loathing and insecure to do much of it lol

now having transitioned this poo poo is easy mode istg

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i was a nerd and also cool, a real aisle crosser, transcending genres and labels, a man for every season, beloved by all. thanks for asking.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i was kinda quiet and kinda nerdy, but had a good circle of friends and a girlfriend, so i guess i didn't really fit into any of the stereotype groups.

i would bet >90% of the people i went to school with do not remember me at all

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

a huge nerd, but I did have a girlfriend so......

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
i was a huge nerd in high school and had my nerd friends and some of them were girls but not in that way.

then in college I was still a huge nerd but somehow had girlfriends.

now I’m super cool guy who is definitely not a nerd.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

huge nerd but liked and was good at sports too. spent my final year at school discovering parties and alcohol and girls and also didn't get into uni. that's ok though I went later and it was fine and things generally worked out. I miss playing cricket though!

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i was home schooled, op

not the weird christian kind, the less common too depressed to leave the house kind

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
did you learn anything

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

In high school (or actually technically right after high school) I registered an account on something awful dot com so hmmm

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

cowboy beepboop posted:

huge nerd but liked and was good at sports too. spent my final year at school discovering parties and alcohol and girls and also didn't get into uni. that's ok though I went later and it was fine and things generally worked out. I miss playing cricket though!

I was a mega nerd but also technically an athlete (we had a pretty good swim team that I was on, and I lettered).

My wife went to a much bigger high school than me where lettering was actually a big deal so I like to point that out occasionally

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i was quarterback of the anime club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

echinopsis posted:

did you learn anything

lol no

but i “graduated” high school through the miracle of some online home schooling system that issued ludicrously easy tests

the social isolation and lack of proper education put me at a real disadvantage, if i’m honest, but look at me now, touching computers and somewhat less depressed!