Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Xelkelvos posted:

Double post, but I made an Apothecary Diaries thread in advance
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042962

Yessss! I’ve caught up with the manga and loved it. The anime looks beautiful. I’m hype for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pan Dulce posted:

Yessss! I’ve caught up with the manga and loved it. The anime looks beautiful. I’m hype for this.

While you wait, you can read the scanalations of the other manga!

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Another YOASOBI OP. Nice.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 29, 2023

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Xelkelvos posted:

Why are there two manga adaptations of Apothecary Diaries? Did the one just get cancelled after a couple volumes or something?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Xelkelvos posted:

I was interested, but the art doesn’t look as nice and I was worried it’d retread the same path the first one did. What makes it different?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pan Dulce posted:

I was interested, but the art doesn’t look as nice and I was worried it’d retread the same path the first one did. What makes it different?

Mostly, the tone and pacing is different. I'd have to reread them to recall the finer points of the differences.

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Why are there two manga adaptations of Apothecary Diaries? Did the one just get cancelled after a couple volumes or something?

No idea! Both are still actively being published too! Both started in the same year (2017) with SE's version starting in May and Shogakukan's version in August.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

kirtar posted:

Another YOASOBI OP. Nice.

They're really getting around

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

oh looks like frieren isnt actually a movie, just 4 normal episodes. all is well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tales of Woe posted:

oh looks like frieren isnt actually a movie, just 4 normal episodes. all is well.

That's actually worse to me. If you're gonna do a long opening, it's better to format it with intent

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's the second best outcome, as I now have to listen to the OP three additional times.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I've been rewatching Eminence In Shadow in preparation for the new season and I forgot how much fun it is. It could have easily been lovely and annoying if it'd taken itself too seriously or tried to be too jokey but it strikes a really nice balance

Fun is more fun when you take it seriously. Cid is trying to be entertaining, and you're watching the show trying to be entertained, so that works out really well, and he chameleons adeptly into a wide variety of story scenarios and keeps the plot kicking along without taking over anybody else the audience is rooting for. It's kind of an anthology story in that regard; rather than following Shadow Garden's relentless hounding of the Cult of Diabolos, here's Cid Kagenou living out his varied life where Shadow Garden impinges to a greater or lesser degree.

I've heard it said elsewhere that "everybody working on the anime really understood the assignment" and that's about how I'd sum it up; it's very well put together. Dramatic lighting, varied animation and shot composition, and very few canned animations. The series either got a serious budget or a lot of talent or motivation to do the best they could, and I'm hoping it carries through to the second season.

Doodles posted:

Shangri-La Frontier - I read the manga for this, too. There's three shows this season that can get an elevator pitch of "What if BOFURI, but X?" and this is the one that doesn't replace X with "even more boring and badly animated." The protagonist is the sort of person who loves to play crappy games for the challenge of beating them. The kind of gamer who'd play Bethesda games unmodded. Who'd play "Cyberpunk 2077" or "No Man's Sky" before they were patched. Who'd play RIDE TO HELL: RETRIBUTION and finish it. There's probably guys like that in the Games subforum right now. Pity them. Looks and sounds great, only drawback is sections of the manga can get a bit tedious with multi-chapter battles against monsters with increasing "THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM!" moments, and I'm hoping the animation makes them enjoyable.

I'm also hoping for some high production values over here, the series that coined "fun is more fun when you take it seriously". It really gets what there is to enjoy about video games, and I'm hoping they can do it justice.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Doodles posted:

Dekoboko Majo no Oyako Jijou (The Family Circumstances of the Irregular Witch) - I dunno. It lust looks like a silly program with a mess of fanservice thrown in. Not going to be sad if the show turns out to be underwhelming.

I find the manga to be hilarious, and honestly not very fan servicey despite the design of the daughter.

However I feel like I am regularly let down when they adapt gag manga with very loose narratives into an anime, so I am prepared to be underwhelmed.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i went into frieren blind and i love everything about it. it's striking, low-key, and i love how they use frieren's lifespan as a mechanism to explore how we handle mortality, history, and legacy. the first four episodes are easily my favorite thing i've seen all year.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Southern Cassowary posted:

i went into frieren blind and i love everything about it. it's striking, low-key, and i love how they use frieren's lifespan as a mechanism to explore how we handle mortality, history, and legacy. the first four episodes are easily my favorite thing i've seen all year.

sick. extremely excited to drink beers and watch it tonight (also completely blind minus these 2 sentences you've typed)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tales of Woe posted:

They did an amazing job of capturing the pacing and tone of the manga, which is pretty important to the story. Super happy with this adaptation.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Xelkelvos posted:

Double post, but I made an Apothecary Diaries thread in advance
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042962

Thanks. Added to the OP :toot:

quote:

:siren:Kusuriya no Hitorigoto (The Apothecary Diaries)
OLM ; TOHO animation STUDIO | Norihiro Naganuma | Norihiro Naganuma | Drama, Mystery | Light Novel | Oct 22, 2023
In an imperial court in ancient China, it has been a few months since a 17-year-old girl known as Maomao was kidnapped and forced to work as a low-level servant at the emperor's palace. Still, she manages to retain her curious and pragmatic spirit, planning to work until her years of servitude are over. One day, however, she catches wind of the fact that the emperor's two infants have fallen gravely ill. She decides to secretly take action, drawing on her experience as a pharmacist raised in the poor red-light district. Despite Maomao's attempts to remain anonymous, she soon catches the eye of Jinshi, an influential eunuch who recognizes her talents. Maomao soon finds herself in the emperor's inner court, where she gradually makes a name for herself by utilizing her knowledge and eccentric personality to solve various medical mysteries.
PV
Thread

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Unedited panel from 100 girlfriends

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

um actually it is edited because it's in english

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arist posted:

um actually it is edited because it's in english

I'll edit you weisenheimer

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
2 episodes into Frieren and while I do like it a lot, I think the 4 episode start is utterly unnecessary and maybe actually bad for the pacing.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Unedited panel from 100 girlfriends

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

2 episodes into Frieren and while I do like it a lot, I think the 4 episode start is utterly unnecessary and maybe actually bad for the pacing.

how awful that we're having the same experience as any time anyone has ever watched a show after it has finished airing

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i didn't feel like watching more than 1 episode today so i just stopped after the first episode

it was a good episode though

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It probably doesn't matter to us online viewers but I wonder if it'd put off some of the domestic TV audience.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Terry van Feleday posted:

iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors: Yeah I don't think this one will be worth much but Shiny Colors does seem to have some cool characters and I wanna see if any of them will show up at least

That's not until next year unless you're planning on seeing it in cinema, this is Million Live season, featuring all your favourite 765 Pros, but only very briefly for 13 of them.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Fangz posted:

It probably doesn't matter to us online viewers but I wonder if it'd put off some of the domestic TV audience.

Well they should just record it and stop after their preferred multiple of 23 minutes.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

that is so true

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah, I was expecting Frieren to be like Oshi No Ko where it was basically just a movie, but its just 4 episodes being released at once. Not really a big deal, but I don't really see the point of doing it. I wonder if this season's #1 harem anime is going to be like that too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Darth Walrus posted:

Regarding S-Rank Daughter, can some of its fans ITT tell us where it actually goes with its premise? I've learned to be a little suspicious of light novels based around adoptive family relationships.
she loves her dad a whole lot.

She is not in love with her dad.

It's a very important distinction and it never strays. Her matchmaking for her dad is pretty funny though.

Other than that, dad lives in a small village as a retired adventurer, while she is working her job as a hero and can't quite make time to get back home to visit and gets homesick. Her adventuring friends are great too. I don't think the anime adapts the fluffy, doodley nature of the artwork of the manga that well though, unfortunately. Highly recommend reading it, if the anime intrigues you.

https://mangadex.org/title/b787bfae-7b1c-4964-a910-718529bbd377/boukensha-ni-naritai-to-miyako-ni-deteitta-musume-ga-s-rank-ni-natteta

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Frieren real good, god drat thing might be my favorite fantasy anime of all time.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’ll do it.

I’ll make the Goblin Slayer S2 thread.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
You do that. You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, that poo poo's been saved for "A Girl And Her Dog," a.k.a. "Yakuza Pedobear."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

apothecary is also doing the multi-episode thing in its first week? goodness gracious

when one of these anime that do this ends up having production delays it's going to be sad-funny

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

I’m gonna anime so hard tonight .

Ordered Chinese and got like 6 egg rolls

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

So how did Seven Spellblades end up finishing.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

idk i finally tapped out after the ep where they explained witch's wombs act as a subtank for magical energy

just a weird show that was not doing nearly enough to justify sitting through "harry potter, but we wrote it for 15 year olds instead of 12 year olds"

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It isn't over because it has a non-standard episode count.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

god,the atmosphere is so heavy in Frieren already in the first 10 minutes

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

could use a magical tome that erases my memory of watching an anime so i could rewatch it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Captain Invictus posted:

It's a very important distinction and it never strays. Her matchmaking for her dad is pretty funny though.

Other than that, dad lives in a small village as a retired adventurer, while she is working her job as a hero and can't quite make time to get back home to visit and gets homesick. Her adventuring friends are great too. I don't think the anime adapts the fluffy, doodley nature of the artwork of the manga that well though, unfortunately. Highly recommend reading it, if the anime intrigues you.

https://mangadex.org/title/b787bfae-7b1c-4964-a910-718529bbd377/boukensha-ni-naritai-to-miyako-ni-deteitta-musume-ga-s-rank-ni-natteta

Does she ever visit or does she get sidetracked every time?