Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DurosKlav posted:

Does she ever visit or does she get sidetracked every time?

She visits of course but also it's obviously not a technologically advanced era so actually going to the village in the mountains is a significant ordeal and requires a lot of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

first ep of Frieren down and yeah that was a pretty drat good start, definitely more wistful than depressing. will watch the other three eps some time this weekend

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Keep a box of kleenex handy. :cry:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

oh saw Daigo on the torrent lists, this is what everyone was mentioning.

Everytime someone on here mentioned the Daigo anime, I was like "did the street fighter pro player get an anime?"

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
ROFL. Crunchyroll threw up MF Ghost early. Their Twitter and Anichart both say it’s supposed to air tomorrow but I just watched the first episode on their app.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

.....MF Ghost

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The sequel to Initial D

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Mother fuckin’ Ghost

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

GateOfD posted:

oh saw Daigo on the torrent lists, this is what everyone was mentioning.

Everytime someone on here mentioned the Daigo anime, I was like "did the street fighter pro player get an anime?"

He does have a manga though

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Lmao. Guess CR’s social media was just actually out of the loop because they replied to the post about it being out tomorrow and went “oh yeah. It’s out now.”

A+ no notes.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Firefighter Daigo: it's a firefighting procedural played perfectly straight. it's well-made enough, if rote, but the concept totally turned me off. i think if you're into what they're trying to do this seems watchable.

Ragna Crimson: two-episode opener. I tried 5 minutes of this and saw bad looking action, a headpat, and a guildhall handing out quests, and decided I had better ways to spend the next 40 minutes of my life.

MF Ghost: it's more initial d, so cars, eurobeat, and really unfortunate social interactions (the first episode has a guy in his mid-20s creeping on a high schooler who's an umbrella girl for the mfg racing series).

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 30, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Southern Cassowary posted:

Firefighter Daigo: it's a firefighting procedural played perfectly straight. it's well-made enough, if rote, but the concept totally turned me off. i think if you're into what they're trying to do this seems watchable.

So this is basically Fire Force only less skeevy and with no superpowers/demons then?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Larryb posted:

So this is basically Fire Force only less skeevy and with no superpowers/demons then?

didn't see fire force but this is definitely not going the superpower/demons route, instead going toward detailed descriptions of how selective the tokyo fire department's rescue arm is as they try to run and stop in a perfect rectangle for five minutes

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 30, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's just like fire force, except without being anything like fire force

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Colonel posted:

Sounds good then, I might check it out

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

incredibly funny exchange, no notes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When i first heard about Fire Force described as "anime about people who fight fires" my mind immediately went to actual firefighters, so Daigo is deffo on my radar if it gives me that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

When i first heard about Fire Force described as "anime about people who fight fires" my mind immediately went to actual firefighters, so Daigo is deffo on my radar if it gives me that.
it does. the original manga this is a sequel to introduced literally no supernatural elements. the closest it got was the main guy having a hallucination about his dead dog.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Okay I watched the first episode of Daigo and after they casually drop the phrase "hyper rescue experience" I need to know just what kind of rescue qualifies as hyper

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sindai posted:

Okay I watched the first episode of Daigo and after they casually drop the phrase "hyper rescue experience" I need to know just what kind of rescue qualifies as hyper

quote:

Hyper Rescue is a real-life firefighting special task force of the Tokyo Fire Department that is a sub-branch of the Japanese Coast Guard's Special Rescue Team (SRT). While their operations are based in Toyko, Japan, they are able to deploy to anywhere in the country for rescue operations.

The task force was created in 1996 after the Great Hanshin earthquake devastated the country and overwhelmed normal rescue workers, thus the Japanese government felt that a special hyper response team would better suit handling specific emergencies. The Hyper Rescue Team is trained for containing biohazards, firefighting, earthquakes and natural disaster prevention and rescue, search and rescue and Coast Guard rescue.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

frieren is amazing

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Frieren's studio definitely understood the assignment.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its a lot of the bocchi the rock team so

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Frieren was really good, the animation was great and the message is interesting. Looking forward to later episodes.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

i compare it more to that other Police lady show

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

marumaru posted:

frieren is amazing

3 episodes in and yeah it's just wonderful

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

starting MF Ghost ep1.
the art style is okay, probably makes the best it can do with the character designs, and the faces look presentable. A good feat given how rough the mangaka's face drawing was in the Initial D series. I never finished the series, so probably gonna be lost a bit on stuff.
Wish MF Ghost did the 3 episodes at once thing, since it cut off just when the good music started. Other than the modern tech. a lot of it felt like i was running in the 90s again.

looking forward to next episode when people go omg he's cornering so fast.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 1, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Southern Cassowary posted:

Ragna Crimson: two-episode opener. I tried 5 minutes of this and saw bad looking action, a headpat, and a guildhall handing out quests, and decided I had better ways to spend the next 40 minutes of my life.

I watched the entire two-part opener so no one else needs to!

The setting is a generic fantasy/RPG world where dragons have pretty much taken over everything outside the cities so the only quests at the guild are "Kill more dragons". Ragna is an average dude with pathetic fighting skills who has dedicated his life to assisting the world's most powerful dragonslayer hero Leonica, who just happens to be a cheerful 12 year old girl. He's trying to be as useful as he can even though he's pretty sure he'll be killed by a dragon sometime soon and all the other adventurers mock him for being useless and dragging the hero down. Ragna starts having premonitions that Leonica will die in an upcoming battle and gets desperate to find a solution, and a grizzled old man appears in his dreams and berates him for not being strong enough to protect her. A huge swarm of dragons attacks the city and just as it looks like the premonitions are about to come true it's revealed that the old man is his future self who has spent 50 years obsessively developing dragonslaying skills after the hero's death drove him nuts. Old Ragna passes his OP skills on to his younger self with a warning that it will come with a cost and young Ragna insta-kills all the dragons and saves Leonica.

We aren't given any time to get invested in these characters so pretty much the entire first episode is a sad sack guy having a huge existential crisis about stuff we don't care about and continually screaming in anguish which is pretty tedious. The climactic fight scene in the second episode is also pretty lackluster. If anyone still wants to check it out they can skip over most of the first episode without losing much.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Unfortunately even with the double premier Ragna Crimson doesn't get to the good part, which is Ragna and Crimson.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
firefighter daigo rocks. sleeper hit of the season so far

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Watched all 4 episodes of Frieren in one sitting. Looking extremely good.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I'm giving MF Ghost the three ep treatment, while hoping they drop the "randomly dropping foreign words into sentences" trope. Ragna seems the cheap action fodder so I'll keep it as a filler pick along with frieren as main course.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SlowBloke posted:

Ragna seems the cheap action fodder so I'll keep it as a filler pick along with frieren as main course.

We're really spoiled for choice this season, there's over a dozen series listed as 'action/fantasy'. My Daughter Left the Nest and Returned an S-Rank Adventurer and Shangri-La Frontier have both started already and I enjoyed them more than Ragna so far.
The Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy has also started but was extremely mid

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

I'm giving MF Ghost the three ep treatment, while hoping they drop the "randomly dropping foreign words into sentences" trope. Ragna seems the cheap action fodder so I'll keep it as a filler pick along with frieren as main course.

but how would we know the main character is half if he doesn't do that!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

passing on Overtake! I only have room for one racing anime this season!

Gonna give Shangri-la Frontier ep1 a shot. Suppose to have a slight buzz on it and the manga apparently is pretty popular, but it didn't grab me, but maybe the adaptation be easier to watch.

Giving the Ilregualar witch a shot too to balance the S-rank daughter so I have one dad/adopted daughter anime, and one mom/adopted daughter one. hope the mom and daughter don't get together.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We're really spoiled for choice this season, there's over a dozen series listed as 'action/fantasy'. My Daughter Left the Nest and Returned an S-Rank Adventurer and Shangri-La Frontier have both started already and I enjoyed them more than Ragna so far.
The Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy has also started but was extremely mid

I would not sell S-Rank on being an (good) action series based on that premiere. Even Ragna Crimson looking pretty modest beat it out with better execution.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

action/fantasy is a pointless tag.

like how comedy is tagged on almost everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

didn't realize Pluto and Apothecary weren't premiering til later in the month...gaayyyy